Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience using their ipod with an fm transmitter playing through their xB radio? I have an ipod mini with a griffin itrip and cant get it to work. can't figure out if it's because the antenna is in back or just bad transmitter. Any thoughts? Thanks!:confused:

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
i have the iPod Scion hook up so umm....I don't have any experience with that other stuff...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is difficult to get it to transmit and once I do, the sound is awful. I have the volume adjusted to halfway on the ipod, so I know it's not that. Also, what is the scion hookup? How much? Where can I get one?

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have a question about ipods. I just got my 2006 Xb and so I want to get an ipod for it. Ive never had one, but I looked at them online today. I think that I need either the shuffle (120 songs) or the midlevel nano (500 songs), but I've never had one, so I don't know. I definitely don't need a big one with a million song capacity and video.

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Who am I to say this?
2,110 Posts
I use my Shuffle with it plugged into the Aux. port in the center console. Works great. And the Shuffle was able to keep us listening to new songs for over 4 hours straight (in shuffle mode). The only drawback to the Shuffle is that there is no display for the songs, so you eitherlet it shuffle or you have to keep skipping through till you find the song you want (it will play sequencial, or shuffle).

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Hubbard,

If you're not really into having the "latest, hottest" technology, check out the prices on the iPod Mini. It's the model that was discontinued for the Nano. You can find a 4 gb for around 180 bucks. Holds the same amount of music as the 250.00 Nano. There are more color choices as well. I bought a pink one for my girlfriend and she loves it. I use a 20 gig 3rd gen and it only holds 5000 songs...I have to trade off music since I have more than it can hold. I'm going to upgrade to a 60 gig video iPod but I seem to be spending my extra cash on something else...my Box! Try a best price search for iPod mini on Google and you'll find some great deals.

·
Who am I to say this?
2,110 Posts
hubbard said:
Cool, thanx, boxd up 2.

So do the nano's have a display for songs? Surely they do...........
Yes, it does, but as surfcitylocal said there are cheaper mp3 players out there. The only reason I have a shuffle is because my company gave them to us for Christmas. But if you dont have the built in Ipod connection, then any mp3 player will do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is the built in ipod connection? Is it an option, part of the upgraded stereo? I can't seem to find anything on this.

·
Registered
188 Posts
i have the nano. it is very cool. and it works just like any other iPod, display and all.

you can get the upgraded stereo from scion OR you can change out to an aftermarket deck, like any of the new Alpine, to take the better less expensive route.

sounds like a problem with the transmitter (iTrips?)

·
Registered
276 Posts
hubbard, not all 2006's have it.. you have to have the ipod upgrade from the factory in order for it to work. But I use a Nano and it works great. Once plugged in you control it from the headunit using the right knob.

·
Registered
501 Posts
You mean mine might have the Aux hookup down on the console and still not work? Or would it not have the Aux hookup? And how do I find out?

I guess I could get a friend that has an ipod to come over..........

·
Wawazat?
189 Posts
hubbard said:
You mean mine might have the Aux hookup down on the console and still not work? Or would it not have the Aux hookup? And how do I find out?

I guess I could get a friend that has an ipod to come over..........
I use a RCA Lyra mp3 plugged into the AUX hookup and it works well (cheap compared to the iPod but not nearly as fancy either). Not exactly "Hi-Fi" but reasonably good for listening to your favorite music. You need to max out the volume on your mp3 to get any real volume from your car stereo. You should be able to plug it in easily with a 1/8" stereo plug from radio shack. If it doesn't work there's a good chance the installer didn't plug it in to the back of the stock head unit. Take it back to the dealer and have them hook it up. It's a 10 minute fix. That's what happened to me.

·
Who am I to say this?
2,110 Posts
hubbard said:
I'm just wondering if I can hook up an ipod without paying any more money
Yes, just use the Aux. plug by the e-brake. 2.5mm jack, Male to Male cord, plug one end into the headphone jack on the Ipod (or other mp3 player), then hook the other end to the Aux. jack in the console.

·
Registered
276 Posts
im sorry i read that wrong. i actually have the ipod hook up and the aux port from the factory. head unit changes different colors... that one... sorry

·
Registered
501 Posts
Back to my original question:

if I have the Aux port, does it mean that I have all that is necessary to hook up an ipod? Or is it possible that I need something else?

Thanks.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hubbard, if you car is an 06 you have the Aux input, it should be down by your ebrake, all you need is a double ended mini plug cord, plug one end into the headphone jack on your mp3 player or ipod, plug the other into the aux, then hit the aux button on your radio press play on the ipod turn the volume above half on the ipod and adjust the volume on the car so you can hear it, you will be good to go, thats what we do in my wifes 06 tC, you can't control the ipod with it that way but it plays throught the stereo just fine....

1 - 20 of 90 Posts