Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2012 xb and need to know if anyone knows the internal dimensions of the doors,as in airspace like an enclosure,I'm trying to decide what 8 inch mid bass i want to put in the front doors,thanks for any help you can provide,:cool:

---------- Post added 06-26-2014 at 07:28 PM ----------

ok,i got yelled at for using my right arm because i had shoulder surgery 2 days ago but it was worth the effort,what i came up with was is 1.272 cu ft,that is a fairly close guestimate so if this helps anyone out than i have achieved my goal:)

·
Lots o leather and copper
1,477 Posts
Problem is it isn't a sealed volume. You have air leaks from the top and bottom of the door and even from the inner door skin. Your best bet is to find a speaker that is designed to work in a free air setting. I personally have had great luck using my Dayton 8s.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my doors are actually sealed as much as i possibly could minus 3 small holes to allow for drainage,i have dayton rs 225 8s in there and they are just working way too hard ,i did do some measuring and came up with 1.2 cu ft of airspace and did some checking and the day tons do not like that big of a space so i will be looking for some different mid bass that will be happy there,

·
Acquiring stance.
1,002 Posts
So pull your doors off and fill them with packing peanuts. Pull out packing peanuts into a cardboard box that's 12"x12"x12". Measure.

Do the work yourself.

---------- Post added 06-28-2014 at 12:00 AM ----------

But I still agree with Greg. They're simply NOT sealed.

·
1,477 Posts
How low down are you having them play? I ran mine down to 60Hz and up to 400Hz on the top end but with a 24 dB cut-off and they did great. I have noticed that they didn't do as well if they were playing up into the upper midrange. Unless you have completely deadened, sealed, and strengthened the doors don't try to treat them as enclosures, they just aren't. The panels will vibrate, and the upper seal for the window is a major air leak.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How low down are you having them play? I ran mine down to 60Hz and up to 400Hz on the top end but with a 24 dB cut-off and they did great. I have noticed that they didn't do as well if they were playing up into the upper midrange. Unless you have completely deadened, sealed, and strengthened the doors don't try to treat them as enclosures, they just aren't. The panels will vibrate, and the upper seal for the window is a major air leak.
the doors have 2 layers of deadening and i braced as much as i could,they feel very solid,i have them playing down to 70 and to 400,my amps are pushing out roughly 150 watts to each 8 and they have an 18 db cutoff,i think i vary well may be over powering them so i have been looking into something that can play down a little lower that has more rms handling,thanks for the replies though
:cool:

---------- Post added 06-29-2014 at 08:54 PM ----------

So pull your doors off and fill them with packing peanuts. Pull out packing peanuts into a cardboard box that's 12"x12"x12". Measure.

Do the work yourself.

---------- Post added 06-28-2014 at 12:00 AM ----------

But I still agree with Greg. They're simply NOT sealed.
obviously you didn't read the edited post above you,and i did not ask anyone to do it for me,i simply asked if anyone knew if they would share the information with me so i did not have to do the work,i guess with you sharing information is not a good thing,:confused:

·
1,477 Posts
the doors have 2 layers of deadening and i braced as much as i could,they feel very solid,i have them playing down to 70 and to 400,my amps are pushing out roughly 150 watts to each 8 and they have an 18 db cutoff,i think i vary well may be over powering them so i have been looking into something that can play down a little lower that has more rms handling,thanks for the replies though
:cool:
Yeah, I think you're right. I was only running 75 watts with 8 ohm full range drivers for the upper end so it wasn't a very loud set-up. Let me know what you end up with, I'd be interested to see what difference you get. An old favorite of mine was Morels but I don't remember what the specs were on them.

---------- Post added 06-30-2014 at 11:34 AM ----------

Do you have any pics of your set-up?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I think you're right. I was only running 75 watts with 8 ohm full range drivers for the upper end so it wasn't a very loud set-up. Let me know what you end up with, I'd be interested to see what difference you get. An old favorite of mine was Morels but I don't remember what the specs were on them.

---------- Post added 06-30-2014 at 11:34 AM ----------

Do you have any pics of your set-up?
i will definitely keep you informed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts