Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Interior L.E.D.s

11K views 45 replies 23 participants last post by  Release6 
#1 ·
Hey,

Im wanting to put leds in the air vents. Can anyone tell me the easiest way to do this and what the best way is to wire up the with. Do i diret from the battery or should i tap in from another source. Let me now what has worked best for you. Im also wanting to do the same with my L.E.D. underglow so if you have tips for the power source for that as well...

#12 ·
On the outside vents how far down can you actually access? I am aksing because I did this on the xa and when I looked in the vent I could see the actual led and it bugged me. I was planning on doing this with some superflux leds from oznium but drilling in far enough down the tube so that only the light reflected and the actual led was not visible. Pretty much embracing the amber. If anyone needs leds to match the stock radio amber, the "yellow" leds from oznium are near perfect. The flex strips are pretty cool too..

#13 ·
i used the piggy back method from scionlife an tapped into the fuse box. but mine are on a switch along wit my cathodes for my underseat lights. the inner vents where easy the outer vents u have to take the dash out. but its easy once u pulled it off. takes me about 15-20 minutes to take the whole dash out. my led's came prewired but thats how i bought them. an the color flow for mine is red

#16 ·
the inner vents where easy the outer vents u have to take the dash out. but its easy once u pulled it off. takes me about 15-20 minutes to take the whole dash out.
You dont have to remove the dash, just the front speakers
so you can reach the vents then theres enough room if you reach your arms through when you pull out the speedo. I could just reach through and behind the airbag then tap them all together behind the radio.

#15 ·
i'm not too good at wiring myself but you basicall just tap a wire thats a constant and run a switch to the leds and your golden! place em anywhere you want

#17 ·
thats only if you have small hands an long arms. im more of a big teddy bear. wit big hands an big arms. so i had to take the whole dash out an run my wires to the middle behind the radio as well. but i dont know how u tapped into the vents i tapped into the rear end of the vents.

#19 ·
lol no wonder u used a hanger to pull the wires back through to the middle lol thats y i took the dash off i wanted everything to be run through smoothly an plus it gave me a chance to look at the whole inside an at the support brace thats across the front.

#21 ·
lol my bad i thought u said u used a hanger. yup as long as it works an the wires are hidden its all good. but i noticed that most colors being used are blue red an green.

#22 ·
A good friend of mine drilled the vents for me. Yeah, you can see the led's, but it's not that big of a deal. he just drilled in straight from the tops. I may get some small pieces of plastic to cover the fronts of the leds so they still light up the vent area, but you can't see the light...Might look cleaner, they're easily taken out.

I used varad 5's leds

#25 ·
yeah thats how mine are i drilled in from the top area an aimed straight in tho but u cant see the led unless your eye level an lookin at it. u gotta take off the radio portion then u take the screws behind the front speakers out an unplug the speakers an take the middle off which isnt hard wit the clock an speedometer all that comes out. then u gotta take the nut thats behind the lil square where your lil cubby hole is thats holding the airbag in place an it comes out when u pull the dash out. all in once peice. its real easy if u have a freind help. i can take the whole dash in about 15 minutes since ive done it twice already.

#27 ·
I got stuck on the screw in the speedo assy. It just spun and wouldn't come out, in the end I had to yank it. Thankfully nothing broke and I was able to retrieve it and put it back in place.
I'm going to do Tracy's RS 4 w/ green LED's here in the next couple weeks and will take plenty of pics on the how to pull the top part of the dash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.