Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to be an automotive buyer for a few different chains.I also belonged to SEMA. An old friend sent me this article from SEMA because of my SCION connection. Thought you guys might find it interesting.

SEMA eNews, Vol. 10, No. 10 – March 7, 2007

SCION FANS SPEND NEARLY HALF A MILLION LAST MONTH
Wheels and lighting lead Scion accessory sales to almost $500,000.

The Scion brand has been one of the shining lights in a sport compact scene that has endured growing pains. Toyota’s youth-oriented marque is popular with its target demographic and makes it one of the real automotive success stories of the past five years.

A key component of Scion’s appeal is its accessory-friendly nature, clearly seen in the $477,000 Scion enthusiasts spent on specialty-equipment in February via online auction.

Of that amount, wheels and tires accounted for 10 percent of total parts sold and a little more than $131,000 of sales. Lighting & lamps, and exterior parts followed at 20 and 14.6 percent of sales, respectively. Headlights were the most popular lighting & lamps product, while grilles moved the quickest within the exterior category.

Of the Scion models, the tC was the clear favorite. Enthusiasts spent $247,353 on tC parts, compared to the $96,465 spent on the xB and $64,313 on the xA. Of tC parts, lighting & lamps, exterior and intake & fuel delivery were most popular.

This data from Terapeak, a developer of market-focused research software that monitors online sales and auctions, sheds light on the buying preferences of the popular truck model’s owners.

Terapeak's Motors P&A Research provides sellers with access to in-depth research on the past year of online auction data and allows users to get in-depth research reports on the competition and themselves. More at www.terapeak.com/motors.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I saw that in my news letter from SEMA last week. Pretty interesting to see how it all boils down dollars and cents wise.

·
Registered
466 Posts
The only reason the tC was so much higher was because it has more engine modification potential and those parts cost more.

My 2 cents, I could be wrong. Won't be the first time, but that is what seems logical to me.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
tC was most popular cuz the car didn't look so weird to the masses. And it has a better engine for those jauting highway trips. I can't do `80 comfortably i my xB, but I'll do it all day long in a tC. and since we are a highway oriented country, bigger cars with bigger engines are more popular. Hence the reason Scion needed to design bigger Scions with bigger engines now. I can bet the tC replacment will have a V-6 or turbo'd. I'd put money on it. And I bet you it will be bigger than the current tC.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
The one thing I don't think anyone is considering is Scion's actual sales figures compared to these statistics. You need to compare number of cars sold to the dollar amount spent to see which owners are really spending the most, per capita if you will.

Bottom line is, more is spent on the tC. But there are more tC owners. If there is someone out there with a lot more time on their hands than me, it wouldn't be too hard to put together a dollar value per owner, per vehicle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.