Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, i was wondering if running an intercooler with the greddy S/C setup would be worth it and/or even feasable. I havent seen any posts on this and search had no results. Of course the turbo setups benefit greatly from it but i have heard (or seen of for that matter) of none ran with a S/C setup. I may be way off here but was wondering why it WOULDNT be beneficial, seems practical. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Can you use an Aftercooler with the Greddy/Blitz/Jimze/Scudetto? I know you can with a Power Enterprise. And yes an aftercooler will work like that of a Turbo. Still cooling the intake charge would account for better combustion.

·
Registered
67 Posts
it's possible to run an aftercooler for longevity and eventual upgrade but if you're planning on raising the boost you'd definitely want to get your engine tuning down to a "T" before doing it. forged internals probably aren't necessary if you've got the perfect engine tune but it'll definitely help durability and longevity. everything fails sooner or later.

an aftercooler would definitely be a custom affair.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Intercoolers always help, a colder charge of air can be packed more dense in the combustion chamber. As an example run you car on a hot as hell day and then at night when its cooler, you should fell the difference. But you are goign to need to beef that tiny little 1.5 liter up and that is not going to come cheap, plus your going to need some computer work done. These motors are built for fuel economy and nothing else. PIck up a larger engine and build that up and drop that in or better yet, go buy a camero, firebird, mustang, or a gto.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Skeeter said:
or better yet, go buy a camero, firebird, mustang, or a gto.

OR just shoot yourself in the foot!;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
An aftercooler would def help out with power but that is not always a good thing, even if it makes for a safe a/f ratio. More hp and tq always means more load on an engine. The tune is mainly to prevent detonation (which affects pistons) but load or more hp and tq affects rods and the crank. When my motor blew up in my mustang, the tune was perfect and we tore it down and the pistons looked fine (no damage from spark knock). It blew because of the load on the stock rods was too much for it to handle. Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Intercoolers do not add much horsepower to a forced induction setup. What intercoolers do help out with is power loss due to heat.

Basically, lets say you make 150 hp at the wheels with your S/C setup. That 150hp will drop off rather quickly due to heat. An intercooler may bump your inital wheel hp to 155 160 as an example, but it's main bennefit is the intercooler will keep intake heat down and help maintain that hp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.