Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be strange, but anyone know what kinda performance could come from mounting FMIC with the filter on one end and the other end piped right up and around to the Throttlebody? "No Turbo or Super Charger" just intercooled!

Just curious, I don't think it could really hurt the performance.

Shoot away, I would like to hear alot of your input. Some of you may of seen something like this before that I haven't.

·
Registered
827 Posts
scionetics said:
another one of those ideas huh??

Edited by Xjeepguy: Dont want to get banned.

·
Registered
974 Posts
That mod would be completely worthless, here is why.....

The intercooler doesn't really ADD much horsepower on forced induction applications. The intercoolers main purpose is to MAINTAIN horsepower levels by keeping the intake charge down to a decent temperature.

Since you have nothing compressing the air on a normally aspirated car, there is nothing heating up the intake charge so the intercooler would be worthless.

Cliff notes:

Don't buy it. Wouldn't help.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ctruss said:
Cliff notes:

Don't buy it. Wouldn't help.

Wasn't going to, Someone at work brought up the idea and I didn't really have a good answer for him.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FrankenScion said:
But it would look cool..........lol.
Yes it would.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
But do you want people to think you are boosted?

·
Registered
691 Posts
scionetics said:
i don't see that stopping him...
he wants people to think his xb is a lexus.
go figure

Apparently you didn't read what he said later. He was asking for someone else.

Wow, I didn't think there were haters like this on Clubxb, guess that has changed.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Padanky said:
This might be strange, but anyone know what kinda performance could come from mounting FMIC with the filter on one end and the other end piped right up and around to the Throttlebody? "No Turbo or Super Charger" just intercooled!

Just curious, I don't think it could really hurt the performance.

Shoot away, I would like to hear alot of your input. Some of you may of seen something like this before that I haven't.
I remember seeing something on HorsepowerTV on SpikeTV, where they installed a CAI which had like a mini intercooler, which had a plastic shield over it, to prevent rain entering it.

You could take the plastic shield off however, to get a ram air effect.

Scionetics: GTFO douche bag, you're not welcome here.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
scionetics said:
correction since there seems to be a little
confusion-- Lexus GS300
You must be a little confused yourself!

( ) A. Toyota
( ) B. BMW
( ) C. Lexus
( ) D. Nissan
( ) E. Mini
(*) F. All of the Above!

·
Registered
156 Posts
ctruss said:
That mod would be completely worthless, here is why.....

The intercooler doesn't really ADD much horsepower on forced induction applications. The intercoolers main purpose is to MAINTAIN horsepower levels by keeping the intake charge down to a decent temperature.

Since you have nothing compressing the air on a normally aspirated car, there is nothing heating up the intake charge so the intercooler would be worthless.
Agreed on this one.. I had this idea a while back....had a spare intercooler lying around and actually tried it... it did nothing.. no gains/etc...

Now on the other side of the coin.. i'm about to drop my turbo in and put an n-tercooler cryo system on the FMIC so under WOT it will ice the FMIC down by 20-40degrees F which will result in colder air, more flow, and more HP... But again that's off topic ;P

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.