Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw these in the classifieds of SL. What do you guys think? I only want comments on the looks. I know it's not going to do anything performance wise.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! That one's huge! You could use it as a vacuum... just rev the engine. I like it though. Anyone with something similar?

·
RS4 #303
4,900 Posts
okay my 02

Eric's actually hits dead center [or close] to cia filter but the ones done on sl and here to the fog light cover will let in air to the top of a closed off top of k&n filter. but it is still cooler than engine bay air. up to you. one is reversible {new cover} one is more perminent. ive been thinking about one my self. when i had front end off for halo install i noticed mine sits @ 1/2 to 1 inch below cover. may not be a big diff if not directly at portion of element taking in air. ;)

·
HORNBLASTER
446 Posts
:D i was thinkin about doin it to mine but it rains alot down here would be worried about rain water gettin on my filter . :) but i really like the way it looks

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awww... don't worry about the water... I could understand it if you were going through a huge puddle at about 75 mph, but if you have a SRI this sits a little bit lower than the filter, so the chances of water getting to your filter let alone to you cylinder are about -.0000000000000000000000001. I ordered one and it should be here on Thurs. or Fri. I'll post pics when I get it. I'm actually playing around with some floral foam to see if I can't make one myself out of fiberglass. I figure that a new foglight cover is about $36 from the dealer and this is $20, so why not? If I don't like it I can snap the old one in in 2 seconds.

·
HORNBLASTER
446 Posts
i got the cold air intake from AEM the filter sits lower than the fog light opening :p its a neat idea and looks cool

·
Registered
67 Posts
You will benefit by getting cool air to the filter, but you don't necessarily have to use it like a "ram air" setup. You just want to get cooler-than-engine-compartment air to the area AROUND the filter. This will also lower the chance of moisture getting on the filter.

It's not going through a puddle that you should worry about, it's the car in front of or next to you. Get a good splash of rooster tail in those tubes and you won't want it to be super close to the filter. Not that there is a high chance of hydrolock, but most filters aren't designed to get wet and still function properly. The filter material is usually paper, but oiled cotton filters should be fine.

Also, the lower the intake ducts the dirtier the air they will pick up. Expect to clean or replace the filter more often.

My $.02

·
RADIER HATER!!!
1,198 Posts
Well - heres pics of my home made setup - 3 speaker port tubes - donor foglight cover and some cutting skills.... No issues with water - my fujita CAI sits right behind the openings...... Ran it for a few months now running w/o it to see if there are any seat hp or mpg differences

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow... I never thought of speaker ports. I know the guy in the first pic is using velocity stacks. I like the look of the 3 though.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I set my daily car for winter. meaning CAI is now a short ram. no better MPG but throttle repsonse is better(sans quicker) with the short ram. that is a no brainer as the engine doesn't have to suck air as far.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I personally dont like the small circular ports on the rectangular foglight plug. It doesnt really flow or have a clean look to it. I modded mine by just cutting a rectangular hole in it.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I like that style^^^

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dminner said:
I personally dont like the small circular ports on the rectangular foglight plug. It doesnt really flow or have a clean look to it. I modded mine by just cutting a rectangular hole in it.
Do you have a full frontal pic? Ha ha! That sounds horrible! How did you cut it? Did you tape it up before you cut it? I'm sure you could do it with an exacto knife. I would be afraid to do it with a jigsaw. I would want to mold something on to it though. I like the square look though.

·
NEXT LEVEL MOTORING
3,810 Posts
ive had my "MO AIR" Portal since 2004, and i never had any problem with rain, water, or hydrolock. believe me, i been through water and all.

if you guys are wondering about water, www.nlmotoring.com can get you a "HYDROSHIELD" sock for your filter. its a water repellent nylon micro fiber sock/glove for your filter. it works great! they come in red, blue, black in color.

i have the INJEN RD2501P and the filter is dead center to the MO AIR. not only that, but i have a aluminum heat shield that scoops the air right to the filter.

this is my theory to the MO AIR Portal; when yur driving 80mph and you open yur window, you gits ALOT of air to you. thus MO AIR, more air to yur engine, more power.

my set up is very similar concept with weapon r air ram kit.

i actually have a proto type air ram hood scoop for my caron fiber hood scoop, but thats a secret........shhh..........

some peeps like, and some dont, but let me tell ya this, i was the very first to knock this off in 2004 with the SCION xB YO!

·
RADIER HATER!!!
1,198 Posts
I have to admit I got my Idea from Thunder - Saw his pic back when I first got my box...... But I had to be different and run 3 smaller "Mo Air" portals...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok... I stole Eticket's idea, but I did both sides... I must say that it looks awesome! I'll post pics when I get home tonight.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.