Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you seen new intake manifolds for the toasters? I am not talking about the cold air intake, I am talking about the intake itself, the part the throttle body bolts to. If not has anyone looked into extrude honing a stock one to open up the flow a little bit, its plastic so it can be done.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
I know of a few that were prototyped, one being from Weapon*R/Monster Motor Works. I'm not at liberty to state the others though, as The WR/MMW was shown on another forum.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well damn, there has to be some and has anyone looked at taking a throttle body off any other toyota that will fit on the 1.5L, the intake is teh same as a Echo 2000-2005

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well the salvage yard I call said a 2000 to 2005 echo intake is the same but damn if I cant find one. Extrude honing one of these would be sweet. Extrude honing is a abrasive paste that is forced through under pressure thus polishing the surface. One place told me it cant be done.

On a simular note, the intake we need should be simular to a Chevy type, with a plenum and 4 equal length runners, the longer the runners the more torque.

Will a 1.8 TB bolt/fit on the xb/echo intake? An adapter plate may need to be made, if thats the case then almost any TB can be used. A bigger MAF would be need as well, removing the sensor is nothing, so what about going to a rediculous 80mm MAF or larger.

If this is going to be done it all needs to be done.

Squirrel is this the intake you were talking about? I found this on a echo forum.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Skeeter said:
Squirrel is this the intake you were talking about? I found this on a echo forum.

That looks like the one, but they said it didn't perform well enough and went back to the drawing board months ago IIRC.

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
it is. it gained high end hp but loss massive torque.

oh and you cannot extrude hone the plastic manifold.

you can try and port match it but it's damned near perfect stock.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Skeeter said:
Well the salvage yard I call said a 2000 to 2005 echo intake is the same but damn if I cant find one. Extrude honing one of these would be sweet. Extrude honing is a abrasive paste that is forced through under pressure thus polishing the surface. One place told me it cant be done.

On a simular note, the intake we need should be simular to a Chevy type, with a plenum and 4 equal length runners, the longer the runners the more torque.

Will a 1.8 TB bolt/fit on the xb/echo intake? An adapter plate may need to be made, if thats the case then almost any TB can be used. A bigger MAF would be need as well, removing the sensor is nothing, so what about going to a rediculous 80mm MAF or larger.

If this is going to be done it all needs to be done.

Yeppers, that's the one.

Don't waste you time w/ an OEM one. There's way too many obstructions inside.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So this was the only one that some MMW has tried to manufacture. No one else???

And one more thing, I am fairly confident anything off an 04 engine will fit on an 06 engine, like headers and such correct???

Thanks hotbox, I havent removed mine to look at it, I saw on a echo forum where some guy polished the hell out of his TB, has anyone tried a TB off another toyota??

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
squirrel said:
Yeppers, that's the one.

Don't waste you time w/ an OEM one. There's way too many obstructions inside.
the obstructions inside are what help with torque and throttle response , as well as smoothness.

obstruction free is good for high airflow but it's turbulent.

the obstructions in the stock is to regulate the turbulence and blahbidy blah , lol. but yeah. if i wasnt dead tired right now i could post a slightly better response.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
But if one was to go FI, and wanted to tune for a specific range, then one doesn't want the obstructions.

The OEM intake manifold is what works for the general public for everyday use, and not for those who wish to take it a step or two higher.

Patience, everyone, patience. That's all I'm going to say.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.