Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Blah.. :D
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i installed my short ram intake onto my car and followed the step by step process thats posted in here in the diy section. I did everything as its posted in the thread but i accidentally cut the hose in half thinking i was gonna have to install some oil filter in between it.. but then i had no oil filter but seen that the diy in here had no oil filter for the hose in between it.. so i taped the hose back together with electrical tape, mounted it back on.. tried to turn on the car and the car turned on but at the same time sounded as if it was loosing power and slowly turned off... I dont know if it was cus of the cut hose or what not... any lil help will be appreciated.. Thanks..

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Yeah it sound like the vacuum on the line is not operating correctly and made this happen. Try to find an tubular insert of some sort to shove between the two. Maybe even off of what you pulled out to stabilize the connection.

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
You may want to make shure that vac lines and the connector are on the elecric valve that used to attach to air filter housing. Check if pcv hose still attached to the valve cover at the other end. There also may have been some packaging dirt on inside the new filter/pipe, or too much oil that gote sucked in. Try resetting ECM again. Hope it helps, good luck!

·
RS4 #303
4,900 Posts
i did this......minus the cutting of hose.
if after you repair hose and check all hookups it still dies i can remedy the prob
the maf sensor is directional it only works one way. if its in backwards it will run momentarily then sound weird (sucking noise) and die like fuel starvation.
and before you say it the yes the sensor only fits the provided tube one way no brain-er right......wrong it only fits one way but the tube can be installed either direction making it easy to turn it the wrong way even though the sensor was mounted onto it correctly. im not the only one and it was a head scratch-er. :D :D :D

·
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You may want to make shure that vac lines and the connector are on the elecric valve that used to attach to air filter housing. Check if pcv hose still attached to the valve cover at the other end. There also may have been some packaging dirt on inside the new filter/pipe, or too much oil that gote sucked in. Try resetting ECM again. Hope it helps, good luck!
Tomorrow imma try it again... imma go buy a new hose... i saw over at scionlife that i was gonna have to cut my hose in half to install some sort of oil filter.. but my kit doesnt have one and i saw in the diy in this site that there the hose isnt cut in half and that theres no " oil filter " in between... i installed all the hoses correctly put the sensor back in place.. hooked up all the cables.. hooked up the battery.. and turned it on... hopefully it was just the hose that was causing the problem....if not... mechanic.. here i come..

·
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so i went to autozone and bought a new hose and did everything properly... hooked up the sensor.. plugged in the intake hose.. errrrthing.. and when i turn on the ignition... the same results... sounds as if its choking then it just turns off.. any help??

·
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the filter your talking about is the oil catch can filter.
is that necessary?? cus i ordered my intake off from ebay and they didnt send me one... but in the diy thread in here they dont have one installed.. so i dont see what's the problem.. everything is hooked up correctly and still turns off... F*ck!!.. this is getting so frustrating.. im getting ready to just take it to a mechanic.. :\

·
Registered
233 Posts
that would be one of the biggest mistakes in your life. AN oil catch can is not necessary, all it does is prevent oil coming from the PVC pipe of the engine into the air intake and clogging up your intake manifold. It is a good looking mod though. ANyone correct me if im wrong

·
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that would be one of the biggest mistakes in your life. AN oil catch can is not necessary, all it does is prevent oil coming from the PVC pipe of the engine into the air intake and clogging up your intake manifold. It is a good looking mod though. ANyone correct me if im wrong
yeah.. i wont debate it.. it is a good mod.. but why is it not working on mines?? sucks donkey balls... :(

·
Registered
368 Posts
you don't mention any brand of intake.

A good brand name = good quality
A no name = possible problems

not knocking off brands, but some don't really copy the quality, just the style.

could be yours is not balanced right. the K&N Typhoon has a little half moon welded inside to help adjust air flow to the MAF sensor. Without it you don't,won't , can't get a true reading of air flow.

after you check that all the connections are leak free look into and see if maybe the air flow is too much to get a good MAF reading. Too much air flow can cause the problem you are having.

·
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you don't mention any brand of intake.

A good brand name = good quality
A no name = possible problems

not knocking off brands, but some don't really copy the quality, just the style.

could be yours is not balanced right. the K&N Typhoon has a little half moon welded inside to help adjust air flow to the MAF sensor. Without it you don't,won't , can't get a true reading of air flow.

after you check that all the connections are leak free look into and see if maybe the air flow is too much to get a good MAF reading. Too much air flow can cause the problem you are having.

my intake is one of those fujita f5 knock off's with the k&n filter.. its been mentioned that if i turn the intake pipe around from tip to tip the sensor might work.. but i dont know what u guys mean.. cus if i turn the intake pipe around, the sensor cables wont reach.. lil help here.. imma noob.. :(

·
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my intake is one of those fujita f5 knock off's with the k&n filter.. its been mentioned that if i turn the intake pipe around from tip to tip the sensor might work.. but i dont know what u guys mean.. cus if i turn the intake pipe around, the sensor cables wont reach.. lil help here.. imma noob.. :(
heres a pic of my intake...
any more clues??

·
Ain't too Funk to Druck.
17,243 Posts
i have a similar short ram. didn't need the oil filter thing. it's so easy to install and mine came with a lil breather filter. had it for a year now w/ no problems. if you're in downtown come by my work and i'll show ya my set-up.

·
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i have a similar short ram. didn't need the oil filter thing. it's so easy to install and mine came with a lil breather filter. had it for a year now w/ no problems. if you're in downtown come by my work and i'll show ya my set-up.
lol.. ive tried like 3 times to install it but still nothing... hmmm now that i look at it.. when i install the " L " bracket.. it kinda hangs too low for the vacuum switching valve to clamp on... i dunno if thats a problem in this whole scenario.. where in downtown do u work at??

·
Registered
368 Posts
"hmmm now that i look at it.. when i install the " L " bracket.. it kinda hangs too low for the vacuum switching valve to clamp on... i dunno if thats a problem in this whole scenario.."

who knows, maybe this is the problem?

·
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"hmmm now that i look at it.. when i install the " L " bracket.. it kinda hangs too low for the vacuum switching valve to clamp on... i dunno if thats a problem in this whole scenario.."

who knows, maybe this is the problem?
tomorrow will be another day and the 3rd or 4th time that i try it... tomorrow imma check if its the vaccum valve that hangs too low... hopefully thats it.. :( and imma bust out with my teflon tape .. maybe thatll come in handy..

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
Make shure that MAF sensor is sitting tight in the flange. Verify that there is no air leak around it by blowing air in the air pipe while closing one end with your hand and covering PCV fitting. Ther should be no sound of air leak (hissing) from under the MAF. Also see if the wiring is not damaged and pins are sitting evenly in the electical connectors that were touched during install.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.