Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so was looking into getting an intake but cant find anyone with actual numbers...anyone know how much I should expect to gain by adding lets say a Fugita ram intake, or CAI? not looking for guesses or what some ad says...interested in hearing from someone who put one on and actually ran the numbers on a dyno or knows what they gained, THANKS!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
...what about the weapon R's? and there really doesn't seem to be much if any difference between the other intakes than the cheapo ebay ones except the welds and everything look higher quality...and the filters...but plan on ditching the filter for a kandn anyways..the weapon r is the only one that actually looks different with the two tube system.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
little things don't add up to any significant HP. It really comes down to engine response. You go with a Cold air and it will keep intake temps to a standard level all the time, but a short ram will increase the response as there is less distance for our diminutive engine to pull in air. Short ram for me when I find one I like. Blitz prolly

·
Registered
122 Posts
little things don't add up to any significant HP. It really comes down to engine response. You go with a Cold air and it will keep intake temps to a standard level all the time, but a short ram will increase the response as there is less distance for our diminutive engine to pull in air. Short ram for me when I find one I like. Blitz prolly
Plus I think it is all about a good combination. HIE header intake and exhaust, since the engine is just a big pump the faster you get air in and out the cooler and faster it will respond. I think you will see an over all good increase with a properly breathing engine.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Fujita's short ram intake is the most responsive of all the ones i've ran in my car. ive had the aem cai, injen cai, blitz short ram, and ended up with the fujita and am 100% happy with it =)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Port your throttle body, that and work on the throttle cam.

You'll get a faster throttle response and it will give you better air flow.
You have obviously never done any work on these motors. Nor do you know much about them. Very few have looked into doing anything with their throttle body. Of those that have had professionals look at them, the concensus was that it wasn't worth the trouble.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You have obviously never done any work on these motors. Nor do you know much about them. Very few have looked into doing anything with their throttle body. Of those that have had professionals look at them, the concensus was that it wasn't worth the trouble.
You have got to be kidding me. Nobody had a benefit by porting their throttlebody.

That is the cheapest mod and pretty much the last mod you can do when it comes to intake work after what has already been mentioned.

Especially since you guys are mentioning going out and buying multiple intakes for the same car to see which one gets you that extra hp and that little bit faster throttle response.

Sheesh guys, you do what you can and it starts to add up.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I am going off the top of my head, so forgive me if I get a couple of facts mixed up.

A couple of people have looked into porting the throttle body. Both of them went to professionals who did this stuff for a living. They were told that it wouldn't be worth the money to do any modifications to the throttle body. The amount of porting that could be done was limited by the throttle body design and how much material there was to work with. The cost would still be significant and the gains would be negligible at best.

I believe the information that has been previously posted about our throttle bodies. For the regular guy out there who isn't even willing to spend the money on a "name brand" intake, the throttle body will not be an option. I may still pick up a used throttle body and send it off to my own guy. Just so I can see for myself what he has to say.

As of right now though, the consensus seems to be that throttle body porting is not a worth while option for the 1NZ-FE.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Porting the throttle body on the 1NZ may not be worth the cost, but a good polishing job very well could be. Bear in mind, I have not taken the time to remove the intake manifold and throttle body to really take a good look down its throat, but from past experiences with different cars, a good polishing job on intake surfaces such as throttle body and intake mating surfaces, did add up to a usable, quicker throttle response and, if you do the job yourself, the cost is minimal.
Has anyone gone this route yet with a 1NZ? For those in the know, are there any obstructions from manufacturing/casting inside the intake manifold that could effectively be removed?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I am going off the top of my head, so forgive me if I get a couple of facts mixed up.

A couple of people have looked into porting the throttle body. Both of them went to professionals who did this stuff for a living. They were told that it wouldn't be worth the money to do any modifications to the throttle body. The amount of porting that could be done was limited by the throttle body design and how much material there was to work with. The cost would still be significant and the gains would be negligible at best.

I believe the information that has been previously posted about our throttle bodies. For the regular guy out there who isn't even willing to spend the money on a "name brand" intake, the throttle body will not be an option. I may still pick up a used throttle body and send it off to my own guy. Just so I can see for myself what he has to say.

As of right now though, the consensus seems to be that throttle body porting is not a worth while option for the 1NZ-FE.
Just port/polish it yourself.

If anything you can spend you time on the throttle blade and sharpen the edges.

I mean you can just use a dremel tool and a polishing agent. That's the "old school" way and the smart way if you are working with the stock piece.

If you don't feel comfortable with the thickness of certain parts just stick with the blade like I said earlier. On the LSX throttle bodies you could seriously open it up, drill down the screws holding the blade and make it razor sharp.

Besides if gives you something to do, it gives you the feeling of actually getting the job done yourself, and it makes uber noobies learn a lot of hands on experience.

Most noobs never get past swapping the intake for a ridiculously large K&N filter.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
It also gives you a chance to render a perfectly good (and expensive) factory part useless. There is no way I would recommend a "noob" go at their throttle body with a dremel. Regardless of the attachment used. Especially on a mod that hasn't been proven to be affective, and frowned upon by professionals (for this application).

I'm not saying throttle body work doesn't have it's place for some applications. Huge gains can be seen by doing the right modifications to a throttle body. Especially when done in conjunction with other changes. But not in every application. Not every internal combustion engine responds the same way to modifications as a large displacement V8. In some applications the money spent to do throttle body work would be just as well spent burnt to keep you warm on a cold day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.