Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Disclaimer: In no way am I caliming to be an expert!!! If you see something wrong, please notify me ASAP so I can fix it!!!!!!! If you mess up, your wing falls off, or you break it in the process at any time during the install, Myself, clubxb.com members, Scinergy, or the manufactur are NOT to be held responsible. HANDLE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!!!!

No tools are needed except for when you go to tighten down the bolts for the clips. I cannot be specific on what that will take seeing how mine did not come with any bolts. You will need these things though......:

Double sided tape and the clips that insert into the side slits.

Second, you will want to make sure that both surfaces are extremly clean. If they are not clean, the tape will not hold as well as it should, creating possible failure and damage to the wing.

See how shiny they are. WEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Now, before you go and just put on some tpae and slap it on, make sure you are centered as much as possible. Don't be sloppy!!!!!!!! I lined mine center, then placed masking tape centered up with the water spout on the rear hatch. Check it out!!!!!!!!

The next picture is where I suggest you put the double sided tape. You should also put a double stack at the edges, just to make sure it fully touchs. See below for pics.

Now it's time to stick it on :D This where you need to be careful. For the 20 min. it took you to get this far, if you F%^* up now, you are looking at a couple of hours just to clean the stuff off. Take your time and I suggest you get a friend or family member to help you out on this step. Remember to line up the masking tape with the washer spout, because thats your center.

after you stick it on this is what it should look like....

Now you need to slide those brackets in and get out your screwdriver, allen wrench, whatever type of bolts were sent to you.

Inser the clips into the slots on the side. YES, the hatch has to be up.

This is what the end result of that step should produce...

Hopefully you did this right and this is what it should look like..........

Have fun and enjoy guys and gals!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Very nice! BOXlover11 has now taken over as the Fab style wing installer expert!!!!!!!

C'mon mang, the full body shots now!

·
Registered
198 Posts
looks good but id like to ask what kind of tape did you use, it looks like inside double sided foam tape which after time will fall apart outside in the weather. just curious i know mine was 3m outdoor double sided tape and it was grey.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its an all purpose tape that I had. It's meant for indoor/outdoor use. All double sided tpae will need to be replaced at some point though. I forget the name though. I tested it out also before I put it on by running water down the side of a pepsi 2 liter for about 20 min w/ 1 lb on it. Nothing happened. It was a strip of about 3" long and the tape directions said 4" per lb. Plus the wing only weighs about 2 lbs. As you can see it's CF.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thats cool i was just varifying so that people that might read this use the right tape so it doesnt fall off, what wing is it i know its not the bbist one

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you see something wrong, please notify me ASAP so I can fix it!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Myself, clubxb.com members, Scinergy, or the manufactur are to be held responsible
SWEET! LETS ALL MESS IT UP!

lol might wanna fix that :cool:

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
BOXlover11 said:
Disclaimer: In no way am I caliming to be an expert!!! If you see something wrong, please notify me ASAP so I can fix it!!!!!!! If you mess up, your wing falls off, or you break it in the process at any time during the install, Myself, clubxb.com members, Scinergy, or the manufactur are to be held responsible. HANDLE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!

If you mess up, your wing falls off, or you break it in the process at any time during the install, Myself, clubxb.com members, Scinergy, or the manufactur are to be held responsible.

Should read: Are not to be held responsible

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Padanky said:
If you mess up, your wing falls off, or you break it in the process at any time during the install, Myself, clubxb.com members, Scinergy, or the manufactur are to be held responsible.

Should read: Are not to be held responsible
FIXED!!!!!!!!!! Thanx Padanky, I didn't even notice that :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
y u thank him? i told you bout it first... i get no respect!

·
Registered
611 Posts
awesome write up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not one of you guys told the type of tape you used. Here's a suggestion. After using many different types of tape I called the folks at 3M. They recommended 3M part number 06383 Acrylic foam tape. This stuff even works on glass! However, you must clean the surface with a promoter/prep. The stuff is part number: 06396. Follow the directions carefully. This tape is available at paint and glass stores and is quite expensive. I paid over $85.00 for a 100 ft. roll of 7/8" tape and the required promoter which comes in individual packets

·
Registered
873 Posts
^^^ditto after seeing a few wing uninstalls (you know us Hawaii people love to play musical jdm wings. LOL) what's the easiest way? but seeing how much tape you put on that one it's definitely gonna be a b***h coming off. for me when i did the W-Blood i only used tape on the top all the way across and tape on the side so rain don't go in (so the top and sides were sealed so water wouldn't go leaking thru the tape and for the bottom/back of the wing only put 2 little pieces in the middle near the water spout to hold the back/bottom middle down. other than that she ran good for a year and taking off with that minimal tape was just killer.

but yeah wanna see an uninstall hehehehe. hopefully i will keep this wing for at least a year.

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
Well, Pete aka "Frenchie" hasn't been with us for some time. Those that are looking for Fab-type wing check with Mike Ma (Quadoptix), and of course ebay.

Since this thread started as a DIY (and has served that purpose), let's close this.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.