Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen alot of pics with the sub installed in the spare tire area but I am wondering - how does it sound like that with it facing up? Would a regular sealed enclosure be better sounding?

I have a 12" that I can fit in the spare tire well but then I also have 2 x 15's that only require a small sealed enclosure (around 1.3 cu. ft. each) .... so I'm kinda debating on choices here lol. (I know the 15's would hit hard in a sealed box though hehe)....

·
Acquiring stance.
1,002 Posts
Subs sound best with recommended space and faced towards the hatch, not up.
Are you being serious? I've rarely heard a driver sound good, and perform well, in a recommended enclosure. Ever. There's a lot more to each vehicle's cabin acoustics than any manufacturer includes. The two xB2 systems I've built have had subs firing up, and sound great. Every enclosure I've built for mine has been sub and port up.

·
NorCal - East Bay Area
1,454 Posts
Ask 10 audiophiles this question and you'll get 10 different answers. Opinions vary, enough said. :D

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Are you being serious? I've rarely heard a driver sound good, and perform well, in a recommended enclosure. Ever. There's a lot more to each vehicle's cabin acoustics than any manufacturer includes. The two xB2 systems I've built have had subs firing up, and sound great. Every enclosure I've built for mine has been sub and port up.
The reverb from the lows bouncing off the rear towards the front sound great.

Maybe you should flip your box just to see.

·
SaNferNanDOs FIneSt!!
40 Posts
Theres a kit im not sure who sells it but its called "the sub tub" it bumps!! Im not 100 but ive heard from a few audiophiles that subs up are best in a open trunk. Infact most xbs i see have them faced up. As for the spare sub over the 15's. How bad do you need the trunk space?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honestly, I am kinda torn between these two options lol. I absolutely love the stealth install (with the subs in the spare tire well) but I never heard a setup like that to compare it to my low power 15's (200W each but they hit really low bass).... I dunno lol - guess I might have to try either one and find out the hard way $$. I do all my installs myself btw :)

---------- Post added 10-08-2011 at 04:35 PM ----------

Funny thing is, I did not even buy my 2nd gen yet lol but I'm the kinda guy who likes have all the goodies ready beforehand. Its sooooo much more exciting like that lol. Hell I bought the rims for my first car like 3 years before I bought the car lol - hardcore!!!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Theres a kit im not sure who sells it but its called "the sub tub" it bumps!! Im not 100 but ive heard from a few audiophiles that subs up are best in a open trunk. Infact most xbs i see have them faced up. As for the spare sub over the 15's. How bad do you need the trunk space?
What's the definition of an "audiophile" in this case?

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
The "Subttub" totally rocks the xB hard. We designed it to take advantage of every inch of volume under the floor and keep your spare tire.

·
Registered
2 Posts
has this box been tested for air volume to "rock the xb hard"? im sure alot of us want to know before we spend our hard earned money on this.Being a rep for Scionpro im sure you can provide papers showing the actual Db's that this box produces.

·
Acquiring stance.
1,002 Posts
has this box been tested for air volume to "rock the xb hard"? im sure alot of us want to know before we spend our hard earned money on this.Being a rep for Scionpro im sure you can provide papers showing the actual Db's that this box produces.
Decibel range is subjective on drivers, install, sound deadening, power, etc.

I'm sure the 'subtub' rocks but "rock the xb hard" is, again, subjective.

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
Well since the "Subtub" is only the fiberglass enclosure and we allow the customer to use their own sub and amplifier, I do not have DB sheets.

However I can provide you with a video that shows how easy it is to install and the water bottle being shaken on the roof of the car, and the top of the box. It also shows how well it fits the car and shows we use all of the space available.

Here is the link http://youtu.be/NBYV43K4bSg

·
Registered
2 Posts
well..i watched the video...as i am a friend to the builder and owner of that second gen box(which his wife owns) i also know he has done other audio related up grades.....sooooo...i doubt it is the subtub. however..being there in person and listening to it all i can say is "it sounds ok"...no offense Chris and Amber!! LOL

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How much does this subtub run? I want one!!
A tub of money lololol.

Sorry I had to say that lol. :p

---------- Post added 10-11-2011 at 10:31 PM ----------

You know what guys, I think I'm gonna stick with my old skool regular box lol cos for simple reasons that my household is basically me and my gf and my friend circle is pretty small so I doubt I will ever need the whole trunk for anything and if I did, I can take the box out. Problem solved without shelling out $600 for the tub - no offense.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Subtub huh. What a waste of money IMHO. OP I would say just build the proper box for your sub and it'll sound great. Also, what kind of subs are they?

Subs sound best with recommended space and faced towards the hatch, not up.
My best results so far with (3) sa8s with subs up and port firing to the driver side. Sounded good because the port had something closer to load off from.

I also had (2) sa12s, sub and port up and it sounded pretty good although the box was tuned to about 35hz. Lows weren't as good because of the airspace between subs/port and the roof.

So right now I'm getting a box built subs up/port side firing for my 12" dc xls. using an aero. Should be pretty beastly.

·
Registered
637 Posts
An Audiophile is someone who is an enthusiast of high quality sound.
Well, high quality sound probably means different things to different people. My understanding of audiophile is someone who is trying to get as close as individually practical to reproducing the original performance in their listening space. That doesn't seem consistent with the usual goals of car audio enthusiasts who seem to place an overwhelming emphasis on bass in the listening experience.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts