Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Canadian Box
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys my 04 manual is making grinding noise with the clutch in.
Anyone have experienced a similar problem?

Noise goes away when car is in neutral, or when the car is rolling but with the clutch in.

My mechanic friend test drove the car and tell me it's not the wheel bearing, and after some more reading I'm thinking it is the input shaft bearing?

Some reference :
Manual transmission grinding noise? - Scionlife.com

How long of a job would this be? I'm not that handy so will have to bring it to a shop to fix.

Thanks for any advice!

·
Dead box
1,095 Posts
Noise with the clutch pedal depressed and goes away with the clutch pedal out in neutral sounds like the throwout bearing.

That repair will take a shop most of a day to complete. Step 1 in the FSM for clutch replacement is to remove the transmission and Step 21 is to reinstall the transmission.

·
Canadian Box
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to clarify the noise happens when the car is rolling in gear.

Noise doesn't happen when clutch is depressed.

I called a few shops and they tell me it's cheaper to just swap transmission...

·
Registered
133 Posts
I get a howling noise when the temperatures get low. Noise goes away when I press the clutch pedal in. Has done it since the car was new. I was told by a tech that it is most likely my throw out bearing and was not worth replacing.

As for a grinding noise, I am not sure if that can be the cause of a bad throw out bearing. It's possible. The original clutch on these cars are weak.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Check your gearbox oil level.
I had tapping noises in both my Funcargo and turbo Daihatsu project boxes. Both were low on oil (the Daihatsu was bought that way, the Funcargo I must have scratched up from being low and had a slow leak).

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was having the same issue, I don't know what it is but my transmission went out completely while I was driving now my mechanic is saying i need a whole new transmission. so if your mechanic is telling you that you need a throw out bearing I would change it out before it gets worse. I'll update as soon as they take apart my transmission.

·
Canadian Box
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup I just did a complete transmission + clutch + bearing change. Bye bye paycheck.

Can't put a price on love:crying:

·
Canadian Box
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did too.

Mechanics said there's noise coming from the 4th and 5th gear.

·
Canadian Box
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The old transmission.. 118K

The new (refurbed) one is 50K

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got my xb back together last night, I had to replace the clutch. I first had a problem where I couldn't get it into gear for a few minutes. Then the next day I had a grinding some times when the clutch was pressed this is what my problem was.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts