Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
TheOtherGuys
Joined
·
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there were any injectors that plug in and flow a tad more than stock. Or will this not work without Engine management? In My ex/gf's Civic I had done H/I/E and Venom Fuel Rail, BBK T/B. After Venom 10% over stock injectors where installed it felt sweet.

Guess I'm wondering if there is anything equivalent to the Venom 10% over injectors that can be used in the xB without causing problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
691 Posts
Frogbox said:
try looking at the injectors for the RAV 4, it's in the family

Exactly what I was going to say. They are supposed to be a direct drop in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
974 Posts
Do not put in bigger injectors unless you have forced induction.

Your motor, even with an intake and exhaust has no need what so ever for larger injectors. In fact, all you will get out of larger injectors is a crappy, rough, rich idle.

Please take my advice and don't do it unless you do forced indiction and need them.

Edit: Perfect example. I have a Rabbit drag race car with a bult 2.0L VW motor putting down 212 whp Normally Aspirated and I am still running the stock Rabbit fuel system on it.
 

·
TheOtherGuys
Joined
·
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ctruss said:
Do not put in bigger injectors unless you have forced induction.

Your motor, even with an intake and exhaust has no need what so ever for larger injectors. In fact, all you will get out of larger injectors is a crappy, rough, rich idle.

Please take my advice and don't do it unless you do forced indiction and need them.

These are the answers I'm looking for. I am just getting input.

I had more done to the Civic, but after the injector switch it felt great. I'm not looking for lots more fuel like needed for F/I just the smallest increase possible with OEM plug-in injectors.


Anyone know what the stock injectors flow?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
"Please take my advice and don't do it unless you do forced indiction and need them." ctruss

"needed them for my project." frogbox
HMMMMMMM it's possible, it's possible ???????

but also came in handy for a non F/I project already on the box

and if you get the smaller ( grey) out of a RAV 4, our ecu can handle them well
 

·
TheOtherGuys
Joined
·
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Frogbox said:
and if you get the smaller ( grey) out of a RAV 4, our ecu can handle them well
What year Rav4 should I be looking for?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
974 Posts
I think the stock injectors are 19 lbs, not sure what that equates to in cc's though, about 200cc maybe.

Your injectors aren't pushed to the limits from the factory. The size of them is chosen so no matter how hard you push you stock vehicle they will be able to perform with room to spare. Another reason this room to spare exists is these vehicles are programmed and tuned for mileage and not to max out the injectors.

Because of this you can make slight mods in performance like intake, exhaust and even cams if they were made and you would not need to upgrade fuel injectors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
974 Posts
Frogbox said:
"Please take my advice and don't do it unless you do forced indiction and need them." ctruss

"needed them for my project." frogbox
HMMMMMMM it's possible, it's possible ???????

but also came in handy for a non F/I project already on the box

and if you get the smaller ( grey) out of a RAV 4, our ecu can handle them well

I don't doubt you will need larger injectors if you mod your engine enough. You need to do serious work before you will ever NEED to up the size of your injectors. You will need to do exhaust, intake, cams, and serious head work before you will ever NEED bigger injectors.
 

·
TheOtherGuys
Joined
·
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I was to switch them, they would still let out a little more than the stock ones without the ECU knowing right? Enough to match it up to other mods without tuning the ECU. I'm just thinking about how much of a difference it made in the Civic 1.6L

^^You type faster than me, not fair.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
My box was running lean, per the dealer, before I did any mods.They reset the ecu, same thing. It just would not stop throwing a cel for running lean.
they couldn't fix it their way so I went with the bigger injectors. Also came in handy for the Nitrous system I installed, and for the next little toy I am putting on.

The Rav 4 injectors are rated at 250 or 270, don't remember off hand. they were "donated" from a junker from 2002 I believe, again I don't have the paper work handy. They corrected the lean problem from day 1.
 

·
TheOtherGuys
Joined
·
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Frogbox said:
My box was running lean, per the dealer, before I did any mods.They reset the ecu, same thing. It just would not stop throwing a cel for running lean.
they couldn't fix it their way so I went with the bigger injectors. Also came in handy for the Nitrous system I installed, and for the next little toy I am putting on.

The Rav 4 injectors are rated at 250 or 270, don't remember off hand. they were "donated" from a junker from 2002 I believe, again I don't have the paper work handy. They corrected the lean problem from day 1.
Good to know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
974 Posts
Frogbox said:
My box was running lean, per the dealer, before I did any mods.They reset the ecu, same thing. It just would not stop throwing a cel for running lean.
they couldn't fix it their way so I went with the bigger injectors. Also came in handy for the Nitrous system I installed, and for the next little toy I am putting on.

The Rav 4 injectors are rated at 250 or 270, don't remember off hand. they were "donated" from a junker from 2002 I believe, again I don't have the paper work handy. They corrected the lean problem from day 1.
Nitrous. Now I know why you needed bigger injectors.

I'm not saying you are dumb for running larger injectors, Frog, I am simply saying that unless you do some major mods you really don't NEED larger injectors.

Like I said earlier, my 13 second VW Rabbit is running a VERY high compression 2.0L motor when it originally had a low compression 1.6L motor and It runs great on the stock fuel system. Granted, it's not a Scion, but I just use my Rabbit as an illustration showing you don't always have to install larger injectors.

Pandaky,

Another place to go for larger injectors should you chose to use them is Newer (2000 and up) Ford products. Our cars use the newer narrow-bodied Bosch style injectors. I believe that Nippon Denso also makes this style injector as well. Anyways, newer Fords, newer Chrysler products both use this style.
 

·
TheOtherGuys
Joined
·
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ctruss said:
Pandaky,

Another place to go for larger injectors should you chose to use them is Newer (2000 and up) Ford products. Our cars use the newer narrow-bodied Bosch style injectors. I believe that Nippon Denso also makes this style injector as well. Anyways, newer Fords, newer Chrysler products both use this style.
Thanks. Not sure I'll ever try this, it was really just an idea that popped into my head. And I knew I could get lots of input from a few people.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
ctruss, never took it like you were calling me anything bad.:)

and I just found it easier to go with some from the same family of cars. But unless you really need them, don't get 'em. most people that change 'em have a real need and their cars seem to idle bad.
 

·
eff are eee es eatch
Joined
·
95 Posts
Your EGTs will go thru the roof & you'll end up just running them at a lesser volume (ECU will lower the fuel output).

They'd only be good for FI or N2O.


BTW 1ZZ Injector will fit the stock fuel rail, talk to Wraith on Echofans.org about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Hi, just new here and don't know anything really about scions. On my tacoma I run the Apexi safc-2 to help with fuel control. Now I'm running 450cc injectors but even before I put them in the safc made a noticable power difference, just tuning open loop.
I wonder if a mod like that could work for you guys. Maybe even the safc-v which lets you adjust the valve timing?

Shayne
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
DJ_SpaRky said:
Your EGTs will go thru the roof & you'll end up just running them at a lesser volume (ECU will lower the fuel output).

They'd only be good for FI or N2O.


BTW 1ZZ Injector will fit the stock fuel rail, talk to Wraith on Echofans.org about it.
as well as 2zz injectors...I ran the 320cc 2zz's in my box when I was turbo'd...trust me when I say you dont wanna change out your injectors if your n/a. The stocks will do more than fine for your setup with room to spare
 

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
Joined
·
3,841 Posts
flatboy said:
Hi, just new here and don't know anything really about scions. On my tacoma I run the Apexi safc-2 to help with fuel control. Now I'm running 450cc injectors but even before I put them in the safc made a noticable power difference, just tuning open loop.
I wonder if a mod like that could work for you guys. Maybe even the safc-v which lets you adjust the valve timing?

Shayne
The SAFC-II won't work on the xB as the ECU is self-correcting. Though, there are other ways around the ECU.

Vito has some really good advice also. :D
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top