Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my box for three weeks now. I'm lovin it and i'm excited about changing out the springs/struts in the next few weeks. However, I'm curious as to if anyone has attempted to convert the rear axle into an independant rear suspension. I used to be in a chevy cavalier club, and several of the guys found ways to fabricate one into the jbody cars. Also, I was wondering if any body knew anything about putting stronger bushings on the suspension (i.e. control arms, end link, sway bar etc.). Any Info would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

Jamie

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Sesh1975 said:
You can polish a turd till it shines like no other but at the end of the day its still a turd. :D In other words, just have fun with it dont try to reinvent the wheel.
Don't forget the LED's:D

·
Registered
283 Posts
I wouldn't bother with the rear axle.

As far as bushings go, look for hard rubber bushings for the suspension. Polyurethane bushings are insanely awesome, but for the first 8 months or so. After that, it goes downhill & the suspension geometry gets all out of whack. Polyurethane does not have memory. Rubber does. You squeeze a rubber bushing & it forms back. You squeeze a polyurethane bushing & you get a broken bushing. Unless you have access to a lift, proper tools, & related & know how to put on polyurethane bushings, I'd stick to the hard rubber. I don't know if they have hard rubber bushings for an xB though. Hahahaha! (^o^ )

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Damn. Well, I guess it's all good. The xB is still a hell of a better than that cavalier anyways. Thanks for the suggestions. :)

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Good luck trying to get an independent rear back there. If you look under the car, the gas tank sits between the rear beam axle and the frame. You would have to move the fuel tank, and install a cell somewhere.

The question is though is why? Why? Because w/ FWD cars, you want the rear as stiff as possible since the inner rear most tires is just there, along for the ride when cornering. You want the front to be able to move so you have the MAXIMUM tire contact patch to maintain traction, response, and control.

Independent rears are best left to RWD cars.

Unless of course, you're building a show cars and want to slam it to the frame rails.

As far as bushings, get polyurethane(sp?), instead of rubber.

·
Registered
2004 Scion xB RS 1.0 #788
2,912 Posts
halo8213 said:
The xB is still a hell of a better than that cavalier anyways.
Hellz yea!! I need to show my sister's boyfriend that. He drives a shitalier and talks crap about my xB all the time.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
azztinthebox said:
for the bushings go to energy suspension...they have good stuff and are priced good....i'm pretty sure they will have wat you are looking for
+1! Energy Suspension!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.