·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st one in an xB2?

---------- Post added 04-17-2013 at 10:05 AM ----------

2 10's made by the brother Shawn.

---------- Post added 04-17-2013 at 10:06 AM ----------

Just gotta carpet the boxes and maybe get new door speakers. Just incase anyone wants to know I am running a Nexus 7 tablet, but if you are going to run something different you're gonna wanna measure the diameter of the bezel and your choice of tablet to make sure it'll fit. If you decide to go with a Nexus 7 I'd suggest on waiting for the new one that's scheduled to be released in a couple of months. Of course wait and measure that too before you buy it.

---------- Post added 04-17-2013 at 10:35 AM ----------

Links that helped me:

http://www.soulhamsters.com/forum/index.php?/topic/5175-project-android-pics-pg-5-vid-pg-6/

http://m.instructables.com/id/Android-Tablet-as-Car-PC/

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/android-tablet-discussions/32471-tablet-integrated-into-car-dash-project.html

https://sites.google.com/site/brickpigs2011xb/home/6---stealth-sub

Thanks to those folks for putting out info that made this a bit less painful and to my 2 brothers Shawn and Louis along with the homeboy George for helping out tremendously with the second half of my tablet/stereo install. I'll post up pictures soon.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. And while android may not be for everybody, one gotta figure on what will actually fit in the bezel with little effort. I personally like android stuff and the tablet does what I need it to do, but it isn't as easy to live with as a normal head unit would be. Still got some tweaking to do. I got some grounding issues to sort out also. Hopefully a ground loop isolator will solve it, plus the big 3 ground and power thingamadoober.

·
Dyke in a Box
1,483 Posts
Not too bad of an install. My only issue is that it's an android tablet. I hate all things google.
Hmm, would an iPad mini fit there? I know it has similar dimensions to the Nexus 7. I think at 10 inches a full size iPad would be a bit too big.

Though you could use a Raspberry Pi and a standard touch screen if you wanted Linux or something :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay mission accomplished. Here was my little issue, after everything was installed the system sounded cool, but I noticed that my tablet wasn't charging (because the dude that did the install didn't plug the power back up). Anyways once I put power to the tablet my subs wouldn't fire plus there was a lot of feedback. So I pulled the rca's for them out of the eq and everything sounded fine minus the bass of course. I did a bit of research online and found out that I may need a ground loop isolator to take care of that or do the big 3 power and ground thingy. I decided to try the isolator 1st to see if that'll help, so I went to Radioshack and bought one of theirs for $20 (you could get a cheaper one on eBay or Amazon) because I'm impatient, plus incase it didn't work I could return it right away. Anyways I hooked it up to the aux jack from the tablet and it helped a bit, but I still had some feedback. So I hooked it up to the rca's for the subs and it fixed 99% of my distortion (the 1% is really faint), which I'm considering good for now. I may snag another ground loop isolator for the aux line to cure the rest or I may just proceed with the big 3. All in all I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out though I've gone a lil over my budget of $500-$600.

Anywho here's what the ground loop isolator from Radioshack looks like:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Needs to be resized a little smaller to properly fit my clubs logo in between the Google search bar and my apps bar. Then if I can find an app that'll make it dance left to right I'll be happy.

·
Pishtaco
3,956 Posts
Nice job. Is your Nexus 7 rooted? If so, a custom ROM like Paranoid Android will give you a lot of capability to resize icons, customize the Navbar, etc.

I'm not the lowest of the low, but I am the slowest of the slow (49.5 mpg over 42k miles in Scion xB)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No it isn't rooted. I wanna wait to get the new nexus 7 before I mess with this one.

---------- Post added 05-31-2013 at 03:32 PM ----------

Right now I just gotta wait for a buddy to send me a resized version.

·
Slow, Loud, And Bangin
105 Posts
Sweet installation man! Been planning on doing the same but I'm going to go with a removable solution. I'll post pics when I get it done.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All that and price. My stock nav system cost about double what my entire system ran me.

---------- Post added 09-09-2013 at 04:21 AM ----------

Sweet installation man! Been planning on doing the same but I'm going to go with a removable solution. I'll post pics when I get it done.
There's a couple of guys on Scion life that's sorta done it, but imo (absolutely not trying to hate on them) it doesn't look as clean. I would love to see what you come up with! There isn't many people rocking the tablets in their xB2's as a standalone (I think I'm still the first and only), I personally think it's the way to go, because there's no use for a cd player if most folks now a days just plug their phones into their deck and use it's song list. Anyways the new Nexus 7 is now available with a better resolution screen amongst other things. I may snag one to see if it fits the bezel. I believe the width is about the same, but the length is slightly longer, so I'll see.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Made one year old a couple of days ago. Still going strong minus the subs, because I blew them both out. New shallow mount ones should be in before the next big cruise.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts