Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I was wondering of there are any folks here who made the transition from an Impreza to the xB. I'm really leaning towards picking up an xB since it would make a cool little rolling billboard for my freelance consulting gig. I love the Sube and have a hard time imagining life without AWD. That said, my thoughts are the following:

1. My MY2000 OBS Wagon drives and handles Ok, but I miss the crisp handling of my previous Hondas and Acuras. It sounds like the xB handles really well for a top heavy little brick. Any thoughts or comparisons on handling would be appreciated. Are the aftermarket suspention mods recomended for someone who wants decent handling, but is (obviously) not out to auto-X?

2. My current car suffers from seriously loud road nose. Radio has to be a 50% volume to be heard. Cell phone convos (hands-free of course ;) ) are almost impossible without jamming the earpiece into my ear at full volume. I know xB probably aren't the quietest cars on the road, but I can't imagine them being anywhere near as bad a what I currently drive.

3. I seem to get about 20-24MPG. Most Club xB posts seem to indicate 30-34MPG on average.

4. The Sube has decent cargo room as a wagon with fold down seats, but the hatch is oddly shaped so you can't get boxes in, though they would fit fine if the entry was wider.

5. Subes are notorious for crappy paint. Very thin and easy to chip. Sounds like the xB is about the same. No?

6. I'm guessing the quality of the Scion line of probably about on par with the pre-2002 Imprezas. Looks like the drivetrain is bulletproof, but there are little issues here and there that are common. Overall the xB seems like it would last 100,000 miles of standard useage with little drama.

7. My 2.2 boxer is pretty easy to work on for tune-ups and oil changes. How accessible is the xB's engine for the same tasks?

8. Any thoughts or comparisons from previous Impreza owners who have owned or own an xB would be great.

Best wishes,

Mark

·
Who am I to say this?
2,110 Posts
Tech_Monkey said:
1. My MY2000 OBS Wagon drives and handles Ok, but I miss the crisp handling of my previous Hondas and Acuras. It sounds like the xB handles really well for a top heavy little brick. Any thoughts or comparisons on handling would be appreciated. Are the aftermarket suspention mods recomended for someone who wants decent handling, but is (obviously) not out to auto-X?

2. My current car suffers from seriously loud road nose. Radio has to be a 50% volume to be heard. Cell phone convos (hands-free of course ;) ) are almost impossible without jamming the earpiece into my ear at full volume. I know xB probably aren't the quietest cars on the road, but I can't imagine them being anywhere near as bad a what I currently drive.
1. IMO the box handles just as good if not better than the Civic that we had, and it was slightly lowered where as the box is still at stock height for the moment.

2. I have no problem carring on cell coversations, in fact my boss used to complain about all the noise when I drove the Honda, but now she doesn't complain at all about noise.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
I was thinking about trading in my Matrix for a WRX wagon now. Especially since I have some good friends in the Suby field, and one of my good friends knows turbo/FI applications like the back of his hand.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
boxd_up_2 said:
1. IMO the box handles just as good if not better than the Civic that we had, and it was slightly lowered where as the box is still at stock height for the moment.

2. I have no problem carring on cell coversations, in fact my boss used to complain about all the noise when I drove the Honda, but now she doesn't complain at all about noise.

Cool. Sounds promising. Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
squirrel said:
I was thinking about trading in my Matrix for a WRX wagon now. Especially since I have some good friends in the Suby field, and one of my good friends knows turbo/FI applications like the back of his hand.
The Subes are great cars, and their AWD system is one of the best. As long as you don't high-center the car in deep snow, you're unstopable. Nasioc.com and usmb.net are great technical resources.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I went from 3 Imprezas to an xb
Stock vs stock I think the xB is more fun to drive, it's slower but more fun.
It's a million times better put together...it's like comparing a lexus to a late 80's hyundai lol
The paint is crappy but is alot nicer looking
It holds a ton more than my old wagon and the seats fold down without disassembling half the car.
It's quieter than my subaru is too
I get low 30's instead of low 20's for gas mileage

·
Registered
33 Posts
...new addition to the family and a mortgage forced me from an STi to the xB...not a day that goes by that I dont miss the subie...fun car and tons of HP...

...for surfing and hauling things around the xB is insane!!!!...the STi s not too friendly in that capacity but then again 2 completely different cars...and 2 completely different price ranges

...hopefully in a few years I can step up the the plate again to another subie or EVO :D

Laters
Lewis

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Yeah, a really good friend of mine used to work for Vishnu and did the work on the turbo Lotus Elises. Plus I know Joe from subydude.com also. He was the one who sold me my Subzeroes on my Matrix.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
smoke20 said:
I went from 3 Imprezas to an xb
Stock vs stock I think the xB is more fun to drive, it's slower but more fun.
It's a million times better put together...it's like comparing a lexus to a late 80's hyundai lol
The paint is crappy but is alot nicer looking
It holds a ton more than my old wagon and the seats fold down without disassembling half the car.
It's quieter than my subaru is too
I get low 30's instead of low 20's for gas mileage
Sounds like you had one of the 93-01 wagons. I hate how you have to flip the seat-cusion forward before you drop the seatbacks down to get a reasonably flat surface. The seatbottom wastes about a foot of flooring. They fixed that in 02 though where you can just drop the seatbacks. Huge improvement. Thanks for the feedback. Very much appreciated. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
xBMoDee said:
...new addition to the family and a mortgage forced me from an STi to the xB...not a day that goes by that I dont miss the subie...fun car and tons of HP...

...for surfing and hauling things around the xB is insane!!!!...the STi s not too friendly in that capacity but then again 2 completely different cars...and 2 completely different price ranges

...hopefully in a few years I can step up the the plate again to another subie or EVO :D

Laters
Lewis
Ah... Congrats on the addition! Sorry to hear about the Sti though. That had to be a tough transition. The STi is a monster. Who knows though... Maybe by the time you're ready for another, there'll be an STi wagon available. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
squirrel said:
Yeah, a really good friend of mine used to work for Vishnu and did the work on the turbo Lotus Elises. Plus I know Joe from subydude.com also. He was the one who sold me my Subzeroes on my Matrix.
Nice! Sounds like you've got access to a solid technical knowledge pool. Good luck with the Rex. They are great cars. Major w00tness!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tech_Monkey said:
Ah... Congrats on the addition! Sorry to hear about the Sti though. That had to be a tough transition. The STi is a monster. Who knows though... Maybe by the time you're ready for another, there'll be an STi wagon available. :D

...thank you!!!! :)

...yes she is worth the sacrifice ;)

...there has been some rumors that an STi wagon for 08'...dunno if any of that is true but just in case it is I am already rolling up the pennies :D

Laters
Lewis

·
Registered
352 Posts
drivetrain.. far from bulletproof.
1zz cant handle much stress.
the transmission is a piece of crap.
as well as the clutch
this is MY OPINION.
others may have their own thoughts towards it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Tech_Monkey said:
Sounds like you had one of the 93-01 wagons. I hate how you have to flip the seat-cusion forward before you drop the seatbacks down to get a reasonably flat surface. The seatbottom wastes about a foot of flooring. They fixed that in 02 though where you can just drop the seatbacks. Huge improvement. Thanks for the feedback. Very much appreciated. :)
The 1st gens are bad like that, my friend owns one, but my 04 was almost as bad. Had to push the front seats forward, take the rear head rests off, take the cargo cover off, fold the seats down, push the front seats back, and stick the head rests somewhere. Now if you were short it saved a few steps since the seat wasn't all the way back.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Bill's '03 xB hit 100K earlier this month with little or no problems. regular maintenence, oil changes, and I'm pretty sure something in the ways of a clutch. I don't remember if his is auto or stick.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the brave little toaster said:
drivetrain.. far from bulletproof.
1zz cant handle much stress.
the transmission is a piece of crap.
as well as the clutch
this is MY OPINION.
others may have their own thoughts towards it.
Cool. Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to hear the pros and cons. Anything specific that you think I should be aware of?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am in a similar frame of mind, in that i own a STi. I am seriously considering getting the xb. I think its a great little van/car thing..

after a test drive, my biggest worry, is the buzy engine when pushed on the interstate

·
Registered
178 Posts
lol i traded my almost 300hp monte carlo for a 100hp xb best trade ive ever made now i just need that almost 300hp back and ill stop crying myself to sleep at night i miss the power but love the xb

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.