Votes: 14 51.9%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
ClubxB's OG Member
22,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
im torn between these 2 taillight overlays...(change of plan)

which do you think looks good on the xB?

A:

or

B:

im planning to get one of the overlays for $35. please tell me what you think! thanks :)

·
ClubxB's OG Member
22,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, i've just talked to my friend about this, and he said that to use a spray paint and spraying it inside of the taillights will last longer than overlays. so guys, i need your advises as i will plan to do a DIY (maybe) on this.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
bB626 said:
ok, i've just talked to my friend about this, and he said that to use a spray paint and spraying it inside of the taillights will last longer than overlays. so guys, i need your advises as i will plan to do a DIY (maybe) on this.
I did mine, but I tinted them. I work at a body shop and did four coats of transparent black and three coats of clear. This was done with Real body shop paint (not Krylon).

Take your light out, mask the unwanted areas off, take a scotch brite or 600grit wet sanding paper and scuff the lens, then spray as many coats as you want, light coats, let sit a couple of minutes before each coat, then do the same with the clear. I had the painter at my work do this for me in a real paint booth. so I can't guarantee it will work for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
umm... Get really really drunk, then write down the one you think you should use, then when your sober, look at the one you wrote down and forget it, you were drunk as he!!... lol:D

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
If you're still going to do overlays, think about it this way.....Get B. They're vinyl overlays. If you don't like it, pull it off, cut it to look like A, get some spray on adhesive, and reattach.

·
ClubxB's OG Member
22,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, i would've done the overlay, but after i talked to my bro, he said he wanted to just spray paint it inside. so, if anyone, knows how to take apart of the taillights so i can spray paint it?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
A

And the taillights come apart pretty easy. Esp after you've done it more than once. :)

NOT that I've done it bc I haven't but I've watched the person who did mine, and I could probably do it if I HAD too!

Let us seeeee..... :cool:

·
ClubxB's OG Member
22,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
_eE_ said:
try the tech section of scionlife.com, some good write-ups
yeah, i looked at that before i even think about doing that to my taillights.

i got another set of taillights (thanks aireck), but i am having one problem right now. that is i got no oven/heat gun. hopefully next week, my friend can lend me one of the heat gun. man, im scared of taking it apart now because there is a chance that i will mess it up... :(

·
Registered
402 Posts
bB626 said:
yeah, i looked at that before i even think about doing that to my taillights.

i got another set of taillights (thanks aireck), but i am having one problem right now. that is i got no oven/heat gun. hopefully next week, my friend can lend me one of the heat gun. man, im scared of taking it apart now because there is a chance that i will mess it up... :(
there are 3 articles for the redout. one has to do with jewelers screw drivers, no oven or heat gun necessary. mahalos

I'm debating myself. Going to go a second set to play with. Like choice A, but not sure if I'm going tint or redout. overlays or paint.stock Tail lights here are in overabundance right now.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
My lights from the inside out. I shaved the inner section making them one piece. And tinted & bordered them.

Attachments

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
I guess I'm one of the minorities on this one, and NO its not because I'm chinese! LOL!

I prefer cleared tails, but like option B the best.

Padanky, those painted tails are the ISH! I like how you have the body color on the housing that's covered by the hatch also.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I lik em both...

"A" reminds me of Mercedes taillights. I think they look more OEM/classy.

"B" looks more minimalistic/clean/euro.

Think about your overall goal of how you want your xB to look, then pick which goes best :)

BTW, I love the border on those tails Padanky. It's a nice mix of aftermarket and OEM look. Fits really well on your xB.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.