Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm obviously new here. And as the title says, I'm getting a new xB! ~Giddy~ Its being custom built for me, it's due to be here at the end of the month... It's hard to wait a month for something you want now.

I've read many posts on this forum and I see that everyone seems to be very pleasant and helpful. I just wanna say thanks for being such a great community.

Currently I'm driving a 03 Hyundai Accent. It's got power... steering? Fully UN-loaded. I like the car and would have kept it for years to come. But thanks to some teenagers not knowing how to drive, I have rather large repair bill on it. So time to just spend a little more money on something I'd be much happier with.

My xB will be manual... I've never driven a stick. But it seems like it would be more fun to drive. It'll be a learning experience. Any advice?

I've no experience in moding a car (Hyundai has absolutely NO aftermarket parts, so anything you add would have to be custom made... too pricey for my pocket book, not skilled enough to try to do it myself). But I fully want to begin to make my xB, -MY- xB.

I've heard the toaster is kinda slow (there's no way it can be slower then my tiny hyundai accent with a 1.6 liter, which somehow weighs 1,000 lbs more then the xb.) so I want to increase the HP.

Eventually I want to add airshocks to raise and lower the box (it has to have a hitch mounted to it because I'm not giving up my waverunner). Turbo or Supercharger (which is a better choice?). And a moonroof. Course, I don't want to start with these, I'm a total newbie to this sort of thing.

So, can anyone list some rather simple and inexpensive mods that would aid in building me some experience?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hmmmm... Seems like there's an untapped market for Hyundai car. *Takes note.* Yes. I'll be majoring in Mechanical Engineering soon & I might start looking into that market. (^o^ )

But yeah. The little 1.5 liters of fury in the xBs are not that powerful. Hahaahha! But that's not the whole point to this car. Yes. It's all about having lots of room & saving lots of gas with a decent amount of power for the win! This box is probably the most roomiest car in the world, as far as passenger space goes. I know that the Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey, & other mini vans can hold up to 7 people, but mind you that everyone is really cramped in there. Not to mention all the gas you're gonna use.

The only thing I've done so far are the wheels & tires. I got the same some 15" X 6.5" Rota Grid wheels & some 205/55-15 Falken Ziex ZE-512 tires on them. There aren't any choices as far as stock goes & those tires are craptacular. If you go with some 205/55-15 tires, there's a lot of choices & pretty much keeps the same diameter as stock.

I have some stainless steel braided brakes lines from Goodridge, a cruise control unit, & an alarm with remote start that I still have to install. I'm also trying to get an oil temperature, oil pressure, & water temperature guage.

As far as turboing or supercharging the car, that costs a lot of money, time & know how. It's not a simple process of buying a turbo, installing it, & then driving. Nope. There's tuning involved, increasing fuel & air, & other stuff before it can be driven reliably.

Have fun with your future box! ( ^o^)/

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a list of the options I chose for my xB.

Manual -- Salsa red.
Exterior: Fog lights and rear euro lights, spoiler and windows tinted, security system.
Interior: Red shifter, red internal lights, upgraded iPod stereo, and a custom black leather interior.

They checked to see if there were any in the US that could be shiped down to Florida, and there were none... That means mine is one of a kind, as is! Also means that I have to wait 15-20 business days to get my xB cause they have to build it for me. ~Cries~

---------------------

As for the thing about the hitch, Yes, I know it's not meant to tow, but considering it's a 4 seater and that it could carry 3 extra passengers weighing 250 lbs each, that's just like towing 750 lbs inside the xb. I'm towing a waverunner on a single trailer that totals about 700-800 lbs.

And I've been towing it around with my tiny like Hyundai Accent for 3 years no problems at all. Dealer said don't put a hitch on it. Friends told me it could never tow it, it was just too small. I proved them wrong! Ha! ;) I believe, if the Accent can do it, the xB is just as capable. I do expect it to prematurely wear the transmission, minorly. The beach is very close to me, so it doesn't need to drag it very far.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
That means they had to order you a Salsa Red and they will put the options on at port and send it out for leather when it gets to the dealership. Leather isn't a Toyota/Scion addon its an after market thru the dealer add on. :) When they were searching they were just looking for a SR none of them come fixed up unless the dealer orders them that way for showroom purposes. :)

Someones going to post and say you should have done your mods after taking ownership so I guess I will you would have saved a BUNDLE!!! Or a WAD depending on which word you like best. ;)

Salsa Red is beautiful! Theres a few rolling around Vegas now, including one of my club members, looks great when the sun hits it! I hope you're correct with the towing in three years I've yet to see one towing anything... I hope it works out great for you. :)

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
You are right the xb can technically do it......should you do is the real question.

The xb already has a well known problem with the clutch failing prematurely and slipping. Do a search for it on some of the boards. If you put the hitch on it, there goes your chance of ever getting it replaced under warranty. I think it would also probably void the 20,000 mile alignment warranty and who knows what else. I have seen trailer hitches on many luxury cars and the like. It is not whether or not the car can handle pulling the weight (your theory with the 3 people in the back seat) it is whether or not the vehicle can handle the stress added in different location. Having a background in computer aided engineering to back this up. The car is designed to handle the weight you mentioned with in the vehicle, meaning it is reinforced in areas and the suspension designed for this. Moving the weight outside that design space puts all of this weight on the location of the trailer hitch. If you do this make sure the hitch distributes the weight as equally as possible across the vehicle and not like the old days where the would clamp a trailer ball onto the bumper and call it good. Of couse I do not mean the bumper cover (plastic) I mean the reinforcement behind it. The xb does not have a frame persay to attach to so best of luck to you and maybe a rear suspension brace would help tie the weight into more of the car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The towing is at your own risk gulp

My husband has built every type of car/racecar from the chassis on up to the engine for almost his whole life, and he says it's sooooooooooo dangerous to tow with vehicles that don't recommend doing so!!! If you have to correct real quick on the freeway, the weight of the waverunner on the trailer might fishtail, and because of the power-to-weight ratio on your XB, you couldn't avoid a bad accident, perhaps even a nasty rollover......
Yes, sure you can do it - but on a freeway i would be worried.......

Please be careful.....

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now that I've been driving manual for a few months now, it feels very natural. I'm comforatable with it and like the way it handles. I've even went back to my previous car (an automatic) and I dislike the (sub-)performance and lack of control of an automatic compaired to a stick shift.

As for the tow hitch. Still haven't mounted it. First I'm going to drop the box a couple inches and install sway bars, cause I don't like the way it leans when cornering at higher speeds. After that, I'll install the hitch. I don't tow my boat on highways. I understand I'm not driving a big ford dually that can tow 10 times it's own weight at 70mph. Biggest roads I take are 45MPH and I tend to drive about 5 mph below the speed limit with the boat in tow. I ride well behind the person in front of me because I understand the lack of performance in speed increases and decreases.

I do not intend to drag the trailer around with me everyday. 2 or 3 times a month during the warm months on short trips (typically about 4-5 miles each way.) Once I get the hitch installed I'll let you guys know how it handles.

I'm not the only guy crazy enough to mount a hitch to an xb. I remember seeing one on here with a cute little egg shaped sleeper. (I also remember him suggesting not mounting a hitch -_-; )

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the club!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How low is your box? And what's the weight of your fishing boat and trailer? I want to know how it handles pulling it and if you have any issues scraping when dropping it in the water. Since it sounds like you'll likely have a hitch before me.

You drive auto or stick? I have stick, so I'll have more torque, but there is the possibility of rolling back into the water it I start spinning like crazy. Little bit worried about getting the light weight xb back up the ramp with a trailer and boat. I'm pretty sure it can do it, but it's still a little fear of mine.

·
Registered
131 Posts
i dropped it 2 inchs in the front and rear, i might have to put my stock springs back on. its a john boat not that heavy, 2 people can carry it with the engine on it. it might be a 10 or 15 foot boat. it can hold up to 4 people. i'll post pics too with the hitch and with and with out the boat attached.

·
Registered
131 Posts
ok got my hitch in today and put it on. easy to put on. i would take pics but my camera is not working right now, as soon as i get a camera i'll post pics, and i pulled it about 20 mins to my house, no problem with anything.

·
Registered
131 Posts
lol so yesturday i put the boat in water to see if it would run it didn't. its the damn fuel pump. first we pulled the trailer down a hill to the lake. but then when we tried to take it up hill we could't so i got my xb and went down to get the trailer. it just rained all day before this. so i got stuck lol. so i had to have 4 people push it up the hill lol. too bad it doen't have 4 wheel drive.. and then we had to pull the trailer up. its was fun lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.