Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i was just outside looking at my halo headlight(thank you brad) and i have no clue where to even begin on wiring up the halos and the 3 leds for the runing and blinker. i know a lot of you have these so some tip and maybe pic would be a HUGE help thank you guys!

·
Egistered Ruser
1,227 Posts
I'm not very skilled in the electric arts, so I had to have some friends of mine help me out. but I will recommend you wire the halos/led's to a separate switch. That way you don't burn out the LED's running them 24/7 when you have your headlights on. Plus you can turn them on or off at your leisure without having the headlights on at shows or something.

I'm assuming you have the dual's, right?

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes i have the dual halo's. i was planning on having the halos wired up to the running light so they would be on for both the running and headlights. then the led i was just gonna have for the blinkers. but having a switch for them just for shows and then maybe switching the bulbs sound like a good idea.

·
Registered
206 Posts
i say you screw the led halo and go back to the stock... they suck..

when you have the headlight on you can see them plus they will burn out in two month like mine did. 3 or them went out.. 2 on the bottom and 1 on the halo.

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
i just installed my dual halos last week & they look sick. i really hope they don't burn out like everyone says, but hey, i can always go back to stock.

it's a bit tricky to wire your halos & led's to your running/parking lights, but doable. you gotta pull the plug from each blinker and pull the one wire (there are three for each blinker) that controls the running lights and pretty much splice it to the two halos and the the three led's. this will allow you to have them on for show (parking lamps) and they on w/ your headlights on. your blinkers will only work when you use your turn signal. looks pretty sick to me. if you need pics, lemme know and i'll show you what i have done.

·
Egistered Ruser
1,227 Posts
I haven't had any problems with anything burning out yet (that maybe b/c I don't run them unless I'm at shows or driving to impress :p ) but the problem I do have is the light output sucks monkey-balls. Pretty much everyone agrees with that, but I think they're the best looking lights out there for the box right now. That and I don't do alot of driving at night, and when I do I can deal with it :D

·
Registered
208 Posts
my light output is pretty good. and thank god they don't point to the sky since mine aren't adjustable. how do you have yours wired?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey James, it was nice meeting ya sunday...well late sunday:) Hey I have my halos wired by themselfs to the battery with a inline fuse to a switch. Give me a pm if ya need help.
Brian

·
Registered
31 Posts
here's how I did mine... if you're still lookin

Drivers side:

Ground= white/black
parking light= green
blinker=green/silver

Passenger side:

Ground=white/black
parking light=green/orange
blinker=green/yellow

Wired the blacks together to the ground. The Halo wires to the parking light and the LEDs to the blinkers. With this setup my halos were on with the parking lights and the LEDs flashed when my blinker was active.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thank you all for you help but as the title says i'm an idiot. i'm stilll ost on the whole wiring thing i took a long look at it and can't figure out how to get the wires out of the clips. and by splice do you mean i just would twist the two tips together and put it back in the clip? also would it be possible to change the leds to strobe bulbs and have a switch for them? also pic as many pic as possible would be a huge help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
don't pull the wires out of the clips...that would be bad.

Splicing means that you tap into the wire BEFORE the plug with a wire tap. You can get them at Radio Shack, Frys...places like that. Just tell someone what you're looking for and they should be able to help you find them, although, you might not get the best help at Frys :rolleyes:

You could easily wire the LEDs to a switch in your dash, that's not a big deal. As for putting strobes in, you would have to open up the headlight casing (I beleive) since the bulbs aren't meant to be switched out. If that's the route you would still want to go then you're looking at baking the light housing in the oven to open it up and someone else would have to talk you through that; I'm a little sketchy about baking plastic in my oven at home. :D

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
YES!!!!! thank you all sooooooooo much for your help. i got the halos working. hooked them up to the running lights. didn't do the leds yet not sure what i want to do with those. if i can change them i will change them to either strobe bulbs or green leds and have a seperate switch for them inside the car.. if not i'll just go with the blinker. i might also hook the halos up to the blinker too. i'll take pics later but not sure if i can post them soon as i will working til 11 tonite and then be in socal for the next 4 days.

·
Registered
31 Posts
congrats on gettin the lights workin!!!

If you wire the LEDs to a switch in the dash this switch is a perfect fit in the XB dash and you can get em at Loews...

Brand:
Gardner Bender
SPST Rocker Switch

Part number:
GSW-45

I think they run about $5 and they look like stock...perfect match! If you go to the next Fremont meet you can take a look at mine.

Again...good job on the lights!

·
Registered
229 Posts
i dont mean to jack the thread but about the halo lights? anyone ever take them apart an switch the led's in the halo's? the rings i mean? just wondering if it has been done or not? an is it possible to take them apart an switch colors? its one of my mods thats cheap an relevant to do.

·
Registered
208 Posts
j0n said:
i dont mean to jack the thread but about the halo lights? anyone ever take them apart an switch the led's in the halo's? the rings i mean? just wondering if it has been done or not? an is it possible to take them apart an switch colors? its one of my mods thats cheap an relevant to do.
it's definitely possible. i received a headlight w/ the halo rings rotated 90 degrees (i.e. the bulbs in them were vertical instead of horizontal) and had to open up the housing and rotate them. kind of a pain in the neck, but they can definitely be changed out. if you know of anywhere to get them, please let me know.

·
Registered
229 Posts
see i thought the lights in the rings where led's? lol cause thats what i wanted to do. switch the lights to blue so it accents the blue led's i switched out for the turn signals?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.