Registered
1,105 Posts
What?!? No LEDs? :D

Nice simple mod - I like! Well done. :)

Tomas

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
How 'bout a step by step to share with the family?
ditto

Looks good. Think you could paint it? (Even if it wouldn't hold up it might be nice for shows. . .)

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Liesjemt said:
ditto

Looks good. Think you could paint it? (Even if it wouldn't hold up it might be nice for shows. . .)
Hmmmmmm... for shows one just like that WITHOUT the hole punched in it would be nice...

Tomas

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Did you use glue or did it just snap on? Looks really good.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Kind of like the directions on the furtiture you buy at Ikea. Pics but no words. Help a brotha' out...some narration? Please?

Tomas: Nice idea!

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
base on the pics, its just a cap, maybe a motor oil cap? then he punch out the middle, size of the key hole, then cut and trim the edges into 2-3 mm?, probably glued it there.
btw, I like the camera used, it could probably capture and show an ant's facial expression.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
It looks like a mobile 1 oil cap for the large containers.

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's indeed a Mobil 1 cap. Ill take some more pics to show how much clearancing has to be done on it. It just snaps in and is held by the shroud.
I dont know if that plastic can be painted, but I've also seen Mobil 1 caps in Red and Green (Envy:D ). The material that those caps are made of is very scratch resistant. The silver one is a PERFECT match to the inserts on the steering wheel.

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
PCH said:
It's indeed a Mobil 1 cap. Ill take some more pics to show how much clearancing has to be done on it. It just snaps in and is held by the shroud.
I dont know if that plastic can be painted, but I've also seen Mobil 1 caps in Red and Green (Envy:D ). The material that those caps are made of is very scratch resistant. The silver one is a PERFECT match to the inserts on the steering wheel.
Please post up a how-to! I've already polished mine, but yours looks sooooo much cleaner!

:cool: x2

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks to everyone for positive feedback. Here is the DIY in pics. IKEA style:) . Just general guidelines: Regular Mobil1 1qt oil cap, use sharp tools, clean up with 400 grid sandpaper, spoil as many caps as you wish. For this DIY I used 9/16 hole punch. Inner depth of the cover is .250 in min. The thinner you make the sidewall (i used Dremel) - the better your chances of the steering column shroud not splitting at the halves.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Absolutely excellent DIY! No questions left. :D

Tomas

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Wow

WOW!
That's how a DIY is meant to be done! Thank you. Awesome!:D