Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get some lighting in my new RS 3. But being a noobie to the whole car mod world I don't know the best options. I'm thinking green since she's Envy Green. I heard that LCD's aren't the way to go. Any idea's and links to products would be great!! :D

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
IMO, the best bet is cold cathode. Randode has some awesome kits that are "plug and play". I bought mine on the internet from computer modding sites and did the install myself. Either way, the green would look sweet in your ride.

You can do your engine compartment as well. If you need any help let me know, I'm just up the road in H.B.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
GreenWEnvy, I got my wife, HeGaveMeGreenEnvy a RS3 and added lighting already. Any how you can buy any computer cathode kit and use it in cany car. The cup holder led kit is a must, it so damn dark you cant see anythign down there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
surfcitylocal said:
If you need any help let me know, I'm just up the road in H.B.
Thanks I'll take you up on that offer. I didn't know you could use the same stuff on computers for cars. I thought it would have to be specific for autos. I don't know much about wiring, but want to, and am a quick learner. :D

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
As long as its 12v then you can...so computer lights, i doubt it. because arent computer power supplies like 112v, or 220v?

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Big_Kokujin said:
As long as its 12v then you can...so computer lights, i doubt it. because arent computer power supplies like 112v, or 220v?
Computer lights work just fine. All of the cold cathodes work with a 12 volt system, no worries.

·
Registered
239 Posts
hey surf! how did you seal your cathodes for in the engine compartment? i got the colds from oznium but they say you will need to seal the ends to make them water proof

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Flecs said:
hey surf! how did you seal your cathodes for in the engine compartment? i got the colds from oznium but they say you will need to seal the ends to make them water proof
I lucked out and got some that are already sealed. The end caps don't even move. If you have to seal them though, just get some "clear" sealant for bathtubs and showers. I have some in the garage, I'll post up the brand later. It goes on white but in a few days becomes clear.

EDIT: The sealer is from DAP, it's Kwik Seal Plus "clear", kitchen & bath adhesive caulk.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I 've been reading topic about cold cathode for awhile and know how to wire it to a switch by now, but if I want the CC to turn on whenever the door open and off when close, where should I wire the power and ground to?? Also, can I wire it to the "door on/off" and have a on/off switch at the same time??

Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.