Scion xB Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
The plastic intake is my issue. I have found out there are 3 different versions used on the 2GR-FE engine. But don't know what the physical differences are. I'm trying to build mine using the most factory parts as possible. i want it to look like it came from the factory that way. Plus make it easier to duplicate. I saw a Youtube video of a home built replacement for the plastic intake out of aluminum. Guy was building a stroker engine to 3.7 litre. Low profile for sure.

·
Lots o leather and copper
1,447 Posts
Ok, so it's actually the upper intake manifold that is the issue from looking at the pictures. I can't quite tell from the pictures but it looks like it might be possible to turn the upper manifold around so it hanging out over the front bank of pistons and has the throttle body off to the passenger side. Not sure if it would work but I think it might be worth a try to see if it does. I really like the idea that the guy on YouTube did for the intake. Maybe do something similar but then paint it with a black wrinkle finish paint so that it looks more factory.

Also found a possible solution for the rear exhaust manifold issue as well. Not a cheap fix but a possible one. Monkey Wrench Racing makes headers for the Lotus Evora/Exige with the 2GR-FE engine that eliminate the pre-cat. Alternatively they also sell just the flanges for making your own headers for $65 each if you don't want to shell out the $1695 they want for the headers.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I tried spinning the plastic manifold around, but it hit VVTI solenoid. Headers would simplify things. Cats would have to be added for the ECM to work correctly and avoid CEL's.

·
1,447 Posts
I tried spinning the plastic manifold around, but it hit VVTI solenoid. Headers would simplify things. Cats would have to be added for the ECM to work correctly and avoid CEL's.
It only removes the pre-cats if you go with headers. Just get some CEL eliminator plugs for the O2 sensors and you won't throw any CEL codes. I use one on mine because I run a header with no pre-cat.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Good to know. Have you started your build yet? How are things fitting so far. The stock xB radiator hoses fit onto the v6 pretty good. I’ve got to swap to the v6 heater hoses. Good thing they mount to the firewall in same location. I’ll try using the stock xB radiator till I can locate a bigger one.

·
1,447 Posts
Nope, mine is all sitting in the garage waiting for me to get any time to work on it at all. Between running my own business, one kids still in high school, an ex-wife and my girlfriend I have no time.

I'm sticking with the 2AZ engine. Got a spare block bored out with all forged internals, Brian Crower cams, valves and springs, over-sized throttle body and the intake flange and piping all ready waiting for me to design the new intake to house the Eaton M62 supercharger. Maybe one of these days I'll actually have time to do it.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Spaced passenger side drop tray with 5/16” spacers. Used combination of xB and RAV4 heater hoses. Fuel line snapped into the xB line with no problems. xB radiator hoses attached to v6 with no problems.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Rear exhaust manifold is kicking my butt. RAV4 nor Camry work. Looks like headers are next option

·
1,447 Posts
Found some other options for headers. Not a lot out there but there are some more than just the Monkey Wrench one I posted earlier.

https://frankensteinmotorworks.squarespace.com/shop/headers

https://wilhelmraceworks.com/2gr-ypipe

https://www.gregsraceparts.com/products/pb-racing-header-pair-lotus-evora-exige-v6-2gr-fe-all

None of the options are cheap but there are options.

Also here is a good thread to read up on with one of the builders commenting in on it.

https://www.rav4world.com/threads/aftermarket-headers.80062/

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Thanks for the info Greg. I hadn't seen the article on the RAV4 forum. As luck would have it, the transmission I have installed is the AWD version. It will be coming back out for a rebuild. So I guess I need to look for a FWD version. Will free up some space.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
After looking for headers for 2GR-FE, I am coming up with issues. XB crossmember and RAV4 crossmember are the same with front exhaust going over crossmember to tie in with rear exhaust. And because of trans tunnel size, RAV4 rear exhaust won’t work with xB. Camry and Lexus go under the crossmember, which won’t work with xB crossmember. 2GR-FE swapped MR2 goes under the engine. So looks like exhaust will be custom.

·
1,447 Posts
Oh joy! Well looks like you get to have some design fun. I'm wondering though if you could use some of the pre-built headers and just custom make the Y-pipe or is it the placement of the header flanges that is the problem? Though at the point where you are having to custom build the Y-pipe it just might be more economical to build all of it.

On the positive side, once you've done all of this work on the ECU swap and headers you can offer a 'kit' for swapping the 2GR into an xB.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
As you can see, the front pipe goes over the crossmember. The xB and RAV4 crossmember are the same design. The front and rear exhaust ties together behind the motor. The rear exhaust manifold points away from the motor. On the AWD version, the rear exhaust manifold is above the rear driveshaft. On the Camry and MR2 swap, the front and rear exhaust ties together under the motor. The crossmember is made so the Y pipe runs underneath. The rear exhaust manifold points down.

Attachments

·
1,447 Posts
Ah, I see. Yeah, you're looking at a complete custom set-up. Looks like those Monkey Wrench header flanges and a bunch of piping are in your future. i do think it would be fun as hell once this is all done and running well to drop an Eaton M90 or 122 supercharger on top of it.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
The thought had crossed my mind. I would be so tickled if I can get the AWD functional. Been combining thru Japanese parts breakdowns trying to see what crosses over to models in the US

·
1,447 Posts
Pretty sure for the AWD your best bet with the engine/trans combo you have would be to use either the RAV4 or Vibe/Matrix AWD rear suspension and drive shaft. Either that or import the stock Rumion AWD set-up and modify it to accept the RAV4 driveshaft. Main issue I see from when I thought about doing it is you would need to fab a trans tunnel or import the back half or an AWD Rumion including the rear seats. They are different between the FWD and AWD versions.

Here's a site I use when looking up parts for the Rumion. It might be helpful in seeing what you would need.

?n-line parts catalog Toyota COROLLA RUMION

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Wasn’t aware there was a difference in tunnel. Should have known. Was just looking at the unused mounts in tunnel area.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts