Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i was just wondering if someone has modified their a/c? here in nor-cal its been 111 degrees!!! my dad's silverado can freeze a person, but my box doesn't seem to have that potential. :confused: ive tryed all, now to the pros!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
If you have a 04 or 05, there's a TSB (technical service bulletin) for the A/C not blowing cold enough.

But, if everything is okay, you'll have to realize that Japanese cars do not cool as efficiently as American cars.

I'm in Austin, TX and it's always over 100 degrees every day in the summer, and HUMID. Best thing you can do is turn all the way to cool, and make sure recirculate is on.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Yup, ^^^^^^what he said. It's been really nasty in So Cal for the past few weeks and the A/C has been getting a work out. Keep the windows rolled up too, like your mom used to say "what are you trying to do, cool down the whole neighborhood?" :D

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
We don't have any problem with the AC in the car... and it's been like 110 lately. The AC in the car has been really good, in fact sometimes I get too cold! Most of the time it's all the way cold, and fan is on 1 or 2, and it does real good.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
boxd_up said:
We don't have any problem with the AC in the car... and it's been like 110 lately. The AC in the car has been really good, in fact sometimes I get too cold! Most of the time it's all the way cold, and fan is on 1 or 2, and it does real good.
Geez, figures a woman would say it's too cold! :D

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
boxd_up said:
Yup! I like comfortable cold, not arctic cold. lol
The colder the better for me, I prefer it "meat locker" cold!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
surfcitylocal said:
The colder the better for me, I prefer it "meat locker" cold!

same here. I drive with max A/C on all the time, even on 4 hour drives. It gets down to about 60 degrees it seems at the end of a long drive. Sooo nice and chilly.

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
my a/c is crap. i drive around with the fan on the highest settin and it still doesn't get as cold as i'd like. in my camaro i'd freeze my ass off if i did that.

·
Registered
201 Posts
i dont know if its me but i used to drive around in shorts in Arlington, Texas(DFW) in like 100s/110s with the windows down and the A/C on max and diverted to the feet area. you get that warm/hot summer breeze(hott, like you cant afford A/C) and then cold feet. I always did that when i got it to feel like i could do anything i wanted to esp. waste precious cold air in the texas heat wave.

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
the car's i've been in versus my own 05 thge others ones with teh tsb is just as horrible. i'd rather my car not get all grease monkied up to have the same if not worse a/c.

·
bB SQUAD!!!
2,793 Posts
my girlfriend said the same thing about my box's a/c... she prefers us to drive the tsx than the box coz of the a/c... its prolly the little engine that powers it, i think...

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Theres another kind of coolant besides 134a you can put in it...But the catch is that its way more expensive. I can't recall the name. But when i got pretty much every a/c component replaced in my 626 the guy was telling me about it.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
If they start doing rolling blackouts here like they are threatening to do, we might be moving into our cars, with the AC! The guinea pigs can't have it hotter than 85 ... :(

·
Registered
260 Posts
My 05 cool down quick, and on road trips across Texas this summer was very cold. You might want to do a ''warranty call'' and have the system checked....

·
Registered
352 Posts
Big_Kokujin he was talking about R12. which can never be put in the scion, plus no one woul d in their right mind ever convert an r134a a/c to r12. too expensive and its out dated nothing runs with it sinicel ike 1997

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
boxd_up said:
If they start doing rolling blackouts here like they are threatening to do, we might be moving into our cars, with the AC! The guinea pigs can't have it hotter than 85 ... :(
What's a rolling blackout????

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Basically, power companiess cut off power to grids (a large block of power consumers), and they do it block by block, when they turn off one block, they turn on the other.

This is designed to relieve stress put on the electric plants.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.