Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first XB, a beat-up 2006 Base with an R title. I had the opportunity to buy a 2004 RS a few years ago, but purchased a 2005 Mini Cooper S instead. (They were the same price, but the Mini was closer, and I'd had one.) The Mini got stuck in 6th gear suddenly, so I had to drive my antiques. I needed a daily driver. This xB showed up on Facebook Marketplace, so I went to see it.

2006. Base. No Cruise Control, no remote, Reconstructed title, 171k miles. Automatic.

It wasn't in the best of shape. Repainted from white to red. Broken hatch handle, a lot of paint scrapes, several pieces taped together. Scraping brakes. It had a great engine, and a smooth transmission. The suspension, steering, and electrical systems are pristine.

$1900 later, it's mine. I drive it home, and burn the rust off the brakes. Steering is tight. It's a fun little thing. I took the new wheel covers off that Astro van, and it looks better already.

It needs some rust repair on the left rocker, and some other repairs, but REDBOX is quickly earning its home. I think I'll be driving it for a while!
Wheel Tire Car Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light

·
Registered
772 Posts
I agree fully with the coolness and leave you with this food for thought for your new joirney......

·
Registered
772 Posts
Also did this to my 04 that didn't come with it......you said 06 so I'm not sure if yours has it since it was an 06.5 half a yr thing......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm a Haunt actor at an amusement park, and usually transport my costumes in an Astro van. It lost a wheel last weekend, so I took Redbox to the park. I was able to fit 5 characters, including a 4-foot-diameter pumpkin head and a 7-foot-tall Phantom into it!

Im fitting a roof rack, and plan on sleeping in the trunk this weekend. (Post-Halloween party, have to be at work at 5:15 AM.) I've only had this little bugger for 10 days, but I LOVE it already!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm happy to finally have one of these. I've always liked them. This little box was kinda beat, and smelled like an old, sick hound dog, but it has good bones. I soaked it with Febreze, and can fix the problems it has. (The broken hatch handle is $26, brake pads are $18!) It's a bit louder than stock, but I don't think it has an exhaust leak. Probably an aftermarket muffler. I have a vinyl cutter, so it's going to get a bunch of decals to cover the scraped paint. Redbox is going to be a fun ride!

·
Registered
2006 Scion xB Automatic
85 Posts
2006 is my favorite year of these, I've had 3 so far. :D And my current is a salvage title beat-up box, so I can relate.

Does yours have the radio controls on the steering wheel? Now that I've gotten used to them, I can't even imagine driving a car without them.

·
Registered
772 Posts
There are steel reinforced color matched hatch handles on ebay for less than $40 shipped. Mine had super bad cigarette smell but amazingly no burn holes and somehow the ashtray and lighter unused...????......I suggest going to auto parts and getting a couple of those car bomb things you set off with car and ac running with windows up. you set it in middle of car on hump in back floorboard and shut the doors and let it run for about 15 minutes. They have different scents. I did new car smell. and used those gain scented febreeze square things on the seat rails instead of air vents. After 2 of those bombs a week or so apart the cigarette smell was completely gone. the scent things are just every so often for no particular reason anymore. I tried febreeze and cleaning it but the smell was still there until bombing it.

These....$8.50 each

Automotive tire Liquid Automotive wheel system Font Tableware

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought my first XB, a beat-up 2006 Base with an R title. I had the opportunity to buy a 2004 RS a few years ago, but purchased a 2005 Mini Cooper S instead. (They were the same price, but the Mini was closer, and I'd had one.) The Mini got stuck in 6th gear suddenly, so I had to drive my antiques. I needed a daily driver. This xB showed up on Facebook Marketplace, so I went to see it.

2006. Base. No Cruise Control, no remote, Reconstructed title, 171k miles. Automatic.

It wasn't in the best of shape. Repainted from white to red. Broken hatch handle, a lot of paint scrapes, several pieces taped together. Scraping brakes. It had a great engine, and a smooth transmission. The suspension, steering, and electrical systems are pristine.

$1900 later, it's mine. I drive it home, and burn the rust off the brakes. Steering is tight. It's a fun little thing. I took the new wheel covers off that Astro van, and it looks better already.

It needs some rust repair on the left rocker, and some other repairs, but REDBOX is quickly earning its home. I think I'll be driving it for a while! View attachment 79842
It's so cool! :love: It's a magical car because it is so small and maneuverable but HOLDS so much stuff. I have a 2006 Polar White XB with 104,000 miles on it. It is SUCH a great car! You are gonna LOVE it! I'd say $1900 was a steal!
(y)

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Welcome to the Family. So if yours has steering wheels audio controls, then it is a 2006.5 model. Since there was no 2007 model. Local cab company has about 8, 1st gens in their fleet. Just so dang dependable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts