Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Xb 1.5l Automatic. I have owned for about a year and lately I have had tons of trouble with it not shifting into 4th/Overdrive. It just happens randomly. This really sucks for me since It is all highway to travel to work and I am pinned at 3300 rpm trying to at least do the speed limit so others don't run me over. I know this is hurting my car and tearing it up. What is the problem?

Also my car has started to sound like a moped like there is a leak somewhere in the muffler under the motor. Makes me feel like someone is pulling me from behind and I can't accelerate. This an easy fix?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Are you throwing any codes. Mine did something like that. Moisture got around the boot of #1 coil pack and was shorting out. Throwing code for #1cylinder misfire. Changed plugs while I was at it. Let everything dry out, problem gone. Yeah it sounded like a scooter and down on power.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Exactly what wagonbldr said, are any dash lights on, if so find out the code, that's the only way we could pinpoint your issue via the internet. ;)
First and foremost though, I'd change your sparkplugs, you'd be surprised how just adding new plugs will effect your car. For as little as plugs cost (less than $10) people should do it more often, just make sure that they are gapped correctly (0.032). NGK is what a lot of people use, but they are all about the same, and there is really no need to buy the Platinum "high performance" style, the $2 plugs will get the job done.

Next, buy yourself a can of Seafoam, it's like $7-10 a can depending where you buy it, and it's worth it's weight in gold. Follow the directions and add some to both, your fuel tank and oil.

While you're under the hood, go ahead and take your air intake apart and give it a good cleaning. Replace the air filter if needed, clean your MAF sensor (only use a approved MAF cleaner) and clean the intake valve. This requires a little more work because of its location but it's pretty simple.
PCH has made a easy to follow DIY here -http://www.clubxb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42924

Good luck and let us know if any of this solves your problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have not got it checked for codes. Dash lights that are on is VSC and Trac Off as well as the Check engine.

Are these solutions for my shifting problem? or just the lack of power? Shifting gears is my main concern right now!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Anytime there's a problem all three lights come on.
The best advice anyone can give you at this point is to head to Autozone, O'Reillys, Advance Auto etc. and have them read the codes for you.
They will check it for free and even offer you print outs for your records. Until we know what codes are triggered nobody can tell you how to fix it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
P0456 is a evap code. Most likely loose gas cap at some point.
P0420 is catalyst system. Could be anything from faulty O2 sensor, bad catalyst to spark plug fouling.
P0325 is knock sensor malfunction. This is a new one for me, but a quick search says it's most likely a faulty knock sensor or loose connection.

·
JokerBox
375 Posts
Have you ever had the transmission serviced? How many miles are on yours?

·
xB Leaving Pit Soon
1,033 Posts
I have a 2004 Xb 1.5l Automatic. I have owned for about a year and lately I have had tons of trouble with it not shifting into 4th/Overdrive. It just happens randomly. This really sucks for me since It is all highway to travel to work and I am pinned at 3300 rpm trying to at least do the speed limit so others don't run me over. I know this is hurting my car and tearing it up. What is the problem?

Also my car has started to sound like a moped like there is a leak somewhere in the muffler under the motor. Makes me feel like someone is pulling me from behind and I can't accelerate. This an easy fix?

An automatic transmission can have one of several different issues which manifests itself as a no shift into high gear; including among others, the shifter mechanism (whether vacuum, electric, or hydraulic), fluid level and condition, adjustment of the cable from the shift lever to the transmission, overdrive may not be engaging (if not, is the OD dash lamp illuminated?).

The ECM computer may not be sending the signal to the transmission of when to shift. Variables such as whether the car is on a level roadway or on an incline are factors; as well as the weight of payload in the vehicle.

Can you start out in low gear, and while driving at low speeds, manually move the transmission to the next gear and the transmission responds correctly? If so, do all gears seem okay except overdrive?

Before spending any money on peripheral considerations, take to car to a transmission shop for a free analysis of the issue. Several reputable businesses will diagnosis the problem at no charge. Possibly a Scion dealership will do this for free. Call a few places and if they want a fee just to check it, move on to another. Avoid the shops who say they always wanted to work on a Scion but never had the chance before.

Good luck with the resolution.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have not took the step to getting trans looked at. It shifts completely fine with a let it do it's think and not push too hard on the gas. If I want to get moving quicker like entering highway ramp and cars behind me when I hit the gas and it jumps into a high rpm it's like it gets stuck in that gear and won't shift into O/D. I then have to stop the car, put in park, turn off, turn back on and start again but at a slow pace. Any "romping" on it gives this problem.

126,000 miles, never services the tranny

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have not took the step to getting trans looked at. It shifts completely fine with a let it do it's think and not push too hard on the gas. If I want to get moving quicker like entering highway ramp and cars behind me when I hit the gas and it jumps into a high rpm it's like it gets stuck in that gear and won't shift into O/D. I then have to stop the car, put in park, turn off, turn back on and start again but at a slow pace. Any "romping" on it gives this problem.

126,000 miles, never services the tranny
did you ever fix this issue? I have the same problem with mine

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts

my was doing the same thing, it didn’t pass 45-50 mph my friendput he’s computer to scan it and erase all the codes , and then the car started shifting normal is being 3 months and so far good.

fyi: I did erase the codes before with a cheaper scanner and nothing haven.

hope it helps good luck 🍀👍🏼

1 - 14 of 14 Posts