Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, heres the deal.... I bought a Stinger 1700 battery, to replace my Optima yellow top. After swapping batteries (with the terminals still disconnected), i ran a 4awg wire directly from the alternator to the battery. When I backed the nut off the alternator, the black/red wire sprung up and hit the frame causing a big spark..... keep in mind that the battery was disconnected at this time. I started the car and it ran for about 4-5 min. and everything was fine...... then i used my air ride to lift up the front and the car instantly died. i tried to start it, but it was like the started locked up on me. I checked, and triple checked my wiring, and everything checks out. the starter relay clicks, but the car doesn't crank. I put my Optima battery back in, and the same thing happens. I have been trying to solve this problem for 2 days now, and have no solution yet. The strangest part is that the "brake" light, and the "ABS" light remains ON...even when the key is out. If i pull the battery terminals for a minute or so, then re-connect them, the lights are off. But when i put the key in, and attempt to start the car, nothing happens, and the lights kick back on, and STAY on... even when the key is out!!!!
My buddy came over, and said the starter solinoid has locked up, and it just needed to be hit. so with him cranking the car over, i start tapping the starter... he releases the key, and i'm still tapping the starter. Come to find out.... the lights on the cluster turned off while i was beating on the starter.

So i pulled the starter out, and tested it, and its deader than ****! I took it to O'riely's and had them test it, just to be 100% sure that it wasn't working. Thier test outcome was a dead starter.... it doesn't click, or anything.... just dead.

I reconnected the battery terminals with the starter out. I crank on the car to meter the signal wire that attaches to the starter. it checks out, and then i see that the damn lights are back on the dash!!! :mad: At this time i'm soooo pissed!!

Anyway.... this is where i stand on this problem. I'm affraid that if i put another starter in (which is almost $400 from the dealer, and NOT in stock) its going to F' up just like this one did.

I have been accepted into a HUGE car show next weekend, and i'm supposed to be at the Expo Center Thursday morning at 7am. I have a feeling i'm not going to make it!:(

Sorry this is so long.... I guess i just needed to vent. I also wanted to let everyone see this as maybe.... just maybe someone would have an answer for me. *fingers crossed*

I'm also going to post this on Scionlife, so don't get pissed if you come accross it over there.... the more people that read this, the more chances of someone having an answer.

And please dont' tell me to have it towed to the dealer... Custom paint, air bags, lambos, full a/v system... seriously.... They'll give me some BS reason why it isn't covered under warranty, or the service techs will get all kiddy and just jack with my car......... i don't like the thought of that!

thanks for all the help,

Clay

·
Lurkin'
495 Posts
So was the starter bad when you took it to AutoZone tonight ??

·
Registered
99 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you, but I hope this help you out.
There is a specialty recycler that only carries used TOYOTA/LEXUS/SCION parts and they ship out too. Their website address is:

http://www.taprecycling.net/

I would like to pass this along because if you do end up needing a starter, they might have a used one for less money.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AutoZone couln't test it cus they "didn't have a part # for it".

So i went to O'riely's and YES>.... it was bad.

I'm back at Square one!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brad.... I need to get your OBDII reader from you sometime tomorrow (fri). I read alot in your XB manual, and to trouble shoot anything, you need to know the DTC codes. I can meet you anytime during the day, or after i get outta work. I doubt you want to come back over to my house, but i know i need to read the code to find out whats causing the damn "ABS" and "BRAKE" lights to stay on.

thanks for your input/help guys!!!!

~Clay

·
Lurkin'
495 Posts
I'm takin it with me tomorrow to Joplin...but when I get back I'll call ya and I'll bring it over !!

Call me tomorrow afternoon, like around 3 or so and see where I am and remind me you need it !

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Hmm, have you checked all of the fusible links?

·
Registered
839 Posts
This sounds like it will be fun... been there done that on similiar situations.

You dont need to buy a starter from the dealership you can buy one from a local junk yard.

If i remember correctly the toyota echo runs the same engine as the xb so the starter should be compatible.

Call up your local junk yards they have a system that will tell u which starters are interchangable with the xb.

Dakota Auto Parts, Inc. USA-TX(Grand-Prairie) E-mail 1-800-460-2787

is the closest one i can find online

Good luck

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have checked every fuable link in the truck! i even tested the ABS relays on the left hand side under the hood.

In the service manual, it give 2 reasons why the "BRAKE" would remain on. 1- the ECU IG1 wire sees 17v or more. 2- the ECU is internally damaged.

doesn't sound good.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Here's what I know Clay.

Many Toyota starters can be repaired and you can order the individual parts to fix them in most cases. The most common repair on a Toyota starter is a "brush" replacement (brushes on these are copper arms), but that usually only happens with wear on older cars.

One option for you would be to find an auto electric rebuilder. We have one here in Ames and it's a pretty small town. Perhaps you have one by you.

Good luck!

-Alex

·
Registered
368 Posts
If you think it is the ECU I believe there is an xb sitting at the yard that my son works at. I'll ask if he can get the ECU out of it for you. Don't know for sure what it would cost, but no where near $800 thats for sure.

I'll ask him when I see him next.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Frog Box.... let me know ASAP what your son says!

I talked to the Toyota/Scion Service manager today who is friends with the Scion Sales Manager, who is my friend. I basically told him what has happened, and that if i decide to tow my car to the dealer i don't want some joe smo working on my car. I have invested a **** load of money into my ride for my pleasure.. not some jackass that thinks he can start f'ing with ****!!! I'm not saying this will happen at THIS dealer, but I took my AWD Eclipse in for service one time, and I personally caught them ripping thru the parking lot like it was a freakin race track! Needless to say... that service trip was free, and i ALWAYS waited in the lobby for the car... even if it took all day... i just don't trust people in service dept. b/c of that day!

Anyways.... the service manager was super cool, and assured me that i would be taken care of! i know i have alot of mods on my car, but they won't warrenty anything unless the cars is at the dealer. So i arranged for my XB to be towed monday morning at 7am. I'm scheduled to be at the EXPO center Thursday morning at 7am, so this gives them 3 days to find, and fix the problem area. I have a feeling that i'm not going to make it to this show, which sucks ass.... it one of the biggest shows in Oklahoma, and i was going to be 1 of 2 XB's at the show.

I can't wait for the "we can't cover this under warranty because of your extensive modifications to the car" phone call. If this happens, i'll ask for Scions Corprate number, and tell them i'll call them back.

If this happens, what can I do? I'm sure there are more modded XB's out there that have had warranty work done.

I'll lety you guys know what i find out!

thanks for the info AND help guys.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Some local guy by the name of Tim, has a friend that needed it. They sold it for $1500 to him, ouch.He also got all the goodies off of it.

I'll have my son keep his ear to the ground for a cheap one.

Hope the dealer can fix it fir you.

·
Lurkin'
495 Posts
I know some people in the "midnight" auto supply..if the needs get desperate !!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i don't think i need the midnight auto servises. I would prefer to stay legall brotha.

I might get that info from you Jon, but i want to see what Jim Norton is going to say 1st. I know they are going to give me **** about my car and tell me nothing is covered under warranty, but i think other wise.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
unless you can get me the entire car, then i might manage to get mine running again...LOL

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.