Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Guys and Gals...I now own an AEM intake, DC Sports header and a Tanabe exhaust for my lil' toast roaster. It still doesn;t have the kick I really want. Can't afford F/I won't do NOS and I need more speed. What else ya'll got? I've seen threads on TBS and I'm thinking about it. I've heard about Nology wires but don't understand that. We have coil on plug ignition, how do you replace it? Any other speed mods ya got would be great info for me, thanks!!

·
Registered
520 Posts
lightweight flywheel always helps the rpms go faster! Underdrive pulleys are good, ignition upgrades...really thats about all the bolt ons unless you do nitrous which isn't always a bad thing but i respect you for not wantin that route...

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I have heard the pulley is pretty good and cant help but look at the fuel rail and fuel delivery.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Perrin Pulley, only performance mod I actually felt!

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have never heard of a pully making a car unreliable? I've really only seen one person have a problem right after they installed it and it was an easy fix! Wires will only help if you have an upgraded ignition i believe and its still not a huge increase in anything and i could be wrong!

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
VivaLaTostador said:
Man, I just don't know about the pully. Just seems like a gamble on the reliability issue. If anyone has info on the nology wires that would be great.
It's not underdrive, it's just lighter. Less weight on the motor. you could sell all your performance mods and make equal or more power with just the pulley. It's like putting on lightweight wheels. I've had mine over a year with no problems.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
VivaLaTostador said:
Man, I just don't know about the pully. Just seems like a gamble on the reliability issue. If anyone has info on the nology wires that would be great.
what do you wanna know about em ?

·
Registered
869 Posts
JUST FREAKIN DO IT! ..........personally i would go with a niturus kit of your choice..... & a pulley if you have the money to burn

·
Registered
869 Posts
personally plug wires wont do **** at the most you might get better gas mileage....but who knows with our crazy mouse driven device of a motor

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
If you do a nitrous kit you better do research on them, the pulley is very realible ive been driving with one for almost a year. the wires look cool, i couldnt really tell any diffrent rather then the cosmetics of the engine...with the scions you gotta remember these engines arent suppose to go super fast..id say focus on the outside and make it purrrdy

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
Dooby said:
If you do a nitrous kit you better do research on them, the pulley is very realible ive been driving with one for almost a year. the wires look cool, i couldnt really tell any diffrent rather then the cosmetics of the engine...with the scions you gotta remember these engines arent suppose to go super fast..id say focus on the outside and make it purrrdy
agreed. i've only done an intake on mine. i'll probably only do a pulley after that. not much point in anything else. our cars are slow.

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
perrin pulley , tbs , engine damper , after that you can go high comp n/a or you can save up for turbo/super or do a motorswap.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
yellow_sub said:
agreed. i've only done an intake on mine. i'll probably only do a pulley after that. not much point in anything else. our cars are slow.
yea i mean heres what i did for my engine setup...

intake, header, exhaust, nology wires, ground wire kit, radiator hoses, pulley and a yellowtop

basically the only thing i can tell a diffrence with is the header, intake, exhauast and pulley...save your money unless your gona show the thing and you want to have the triple gnar gnar engine you see on Fast and the Furious

·
Registered
368 Posts
Go ahead, Do the JUICE ( and do not be afraid of it) I have been running it for 56k miles now w/o problems ( just follow the juice rules) If you need a list of them just PM me. Too many to list here.

But if not, after intake, header, exhaust, go with the pulley( just make sure to have a good shop w/experience with them install it) have heard and seen horror stories about the seal being messed up or other parts getting banged up during an install.

I am now in the process of testing the TBS, so far really improves low to mid-range power ( felt hp and torque, waiting on you guys sending me the money for the dyno runs hehe :D )

going to do more S/C testing in awhile (both with and without the juice, that should be fun :eek: )

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
a box is not suppose to go fast

·
Registered
552 Posts
Dooby said:
^^^^^ agree ^^^^^^

Save your money and get a sportscar or a streetbike if you need speed. The xB is an economy car (a fun economy car), not a racer.
Just my 0.02

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I still have some reserves about the pulley. I can see why it works and works so well, but the car is designed to have that kind of weight behind it when it turns. I know that the weight of the pulley is not a whole lot compared to the fly wheel, but with the way and internal combustion engine works (many instentaneous forces) you have to have the inertia from masses such as fly wheels and pulleys to run smoother over the long haul. Now I admit that I have not done the analysis of this, but it could have a long term affect.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Dooby said:

But it doesn't have to be slow. It's light enough that you don't need extreme amounts of horsepower, a few bolt-ons do make a big difference. And I believe In a well rounded show car not "show NO go". I have had judges praise me for doing more than just "Show".

Now sure forged internals and stuff like that aren't worth the money. But $500 in bolt-ons, or a new headunit, I'm going to go with the bolt-ons.

·
Registered
309 Posts
why do people keep saying its not "supposed" to go fast
there are alot of cars that dont go fast but people make them fast

are corollas meant to go fast?
are honda civics meant to go fast?
are pickup trucks meant to go fast?

why do manufacturers make S, Si, R, RS, Sport versions of similar cars only to modify it lightly stick a badge on it and charge unreasonable amounts of money for it?

if we like our cars and want to make it faster than thats our prerogative

the xb was made to be an fuel efficient people hauler with ample room for passengers.

is a box not "supposed" to look good?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.