Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While replacing the drive or serpentine belt on an 06 XB I smashed the top off of a sensor. Got the belt on, while moving the alternator back to add tension the lever slipped smashing this sensor. What did I break? Camshaft position actuator? It’s located at the top left hand side, near the alternator
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Crankset Bumper

·
Registered
2006 Scion xB, A/T
116 Posts
That sounds and looks like the end off the VVT solenoid. If it's the case, your car should still run and drive, without the efficiency that it normally has when that part functions correctly. I've been driving with that part dead for a while, and finally have parts to fix mine. The only other sensor I can think of in that area of the engine would be the crank position sensor down at the bottom of the engine. You probably have all sorts of lights popping off on your dash now I bet.
Head Product Organism World Font

Most people say you have to remove the alternator every time you deal with the VVT, but this shows otherwise. Also, there is a screen behind the hex bolt below where the solenoid is installed that is a filter for the solenoid. You should check to see if there is anything built up on the filter too.

·
Registered
2006 Scion xB, A/T
116 Posts
Part link

If we are talking about the same part, this is what it should look like still put together. I've not seen one fall apart, but like I said, I've not pulled mine and replaced it yet. It should pull right out, but be gentle taking a pick or something to pull it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes that is the replacement part I bought but the original part is a little different beefier at the top. I may need to remove the alternator to get it out as my hands are meat hooks two or four times the size of scion assembly workers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No need to remove the alternator just the lever bracket. I bought a harbor freight easy out type of extraction kit, tapped the bigger one in with a small hammer and it wiggled out without FORCING IT. Thank everyone for the tips and instructions

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
For future reference, there is a mod you can do to make an adjustable belt tensioner with a few xD parts and a hacksaw so no pry bar needed to tighten this belt. It uses a bolt on the bracket to adjust belt tension then you lock down the alternator bolt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts