Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2015 Scion xB. Her name is Lay Lay the Brave Toaster. I bought her with 37k back at the end of March 2020. I have done two fuel induction cleanings, tranny flush per the manufacture preventive maintenance for 60k miles, break pads, tires, alignment, and oil changes every 3,000 miles. Should I do plugs and wires now? I was told not till 100k but she is running a bit rough!!! I would like some thought please.

·
Lots o leather and copper
1,527 Posts
It can't hurt to change the plugs. I changed mine at 60K and noticed an improvement. As for plug wires you don't have any. There are individual coil packs on top of each spark plug.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It can't hurt to change the plugs. I changed mine at 60K and noticed an improvement. As for plug wires you don't have any. There are individual coil packs on top of each spark plug.
Thank you so much for the information. She is running like a champ. I agree don't listen to the 100k or 120k recommendation from a dealership.I had NGK's in mine and let's just say I am very blessed my car don't hate me.

I am still adjusting to the wire and coil pack combo. I am used to old school cars that had both. She is the first newer car that I have been able to pop the hood and work on. Yet, I love being able to work on my shiz. I trust me more than anything else.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I am taking it that we rarely have to replace them unless needed too or do we need too? how often if we need too.

·
Lots o leather and copper
1,527 Posts
I am taking it that we rarely have to replace them unless needed too or do we need too? how often if we need too.
You replace them when they give you trouble. Usually can tell because then engine doesn't run right.

·
xB Leaving Pit Soon
922 Posts
...I am used to old school cars that had both. She is the first newer car that I have been able to pop the hood and work on.
You will also notice the absence of a physical distributor along with its accouterments; rotor button, mechanical advance, vacuum advance, condenser, points, and timing setting.

Iridium plugs can perform well up to 120k miles on a Gen2. That is not an absolute number as engine load variables impact the effective life, including; geographic, fuel quality, driver's handling characteristics, and other operating factors. As GregS stated, replace plugs when you feel a difference in performance. Watch for: slow starting, even with a fully charged battery; poor acceleration; fuel MPG lower than average; engine hesitating or shuddering at idle, or misfiring when accelerating.

Some of the above symptoms can be related to other engine components as well, however, your inquiry is about spark plug performance.

If needed, at Toyota.com you can get free PDF downloads of Scion xB owner documents which originally came with the car.

Good motoring with LLtBT.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Check the recommended oil change interval on the oil you're using. Most oils today have a minimum protection of 5,000 miles, and the toaster's oil change light comes on around 5,000. With higher grade synthetics you can go 10,000 miles or more. No need to lay 'er up and spend money on oil that's still got plenty of life left.

Here is the Toyota maintenance schedule for the Scion xB2: Online Toyota Vehicle Maintenance and Service Schedule | Toyota Owners

Here is your owners manual: 2015 Toyota xB Owners Manual and Warranty - Toyota Owners

1 - 7 of 7 Posts