Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of you have some good stuffs under the hood and I was wondering what do you use to keep it all clean and how often. I always clean the exterior and interior, but never under the hood cuz I'm still stock. Now, I would like to be in the habit of keeping it clean, but am unsure what to use.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!:p

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Hey, that's my specialty! I've actually won a couple of awards for my engine bay at shows and I take great pride in making it look nice. Here's a couple of tips to get you started. Remember to start with a cool motor whenever possible. Sweat makes spots!

First, POWER WASH IT! Hose it with degreaser (since you have no chrome or billet under the hood) and then wash it off. That will get off most of the road grime and oil and stuff. This is the best starting point. This IS safe to do as long as you're not washing directly at the relay boxes and such. Our detail department does this to all of our used cars without issue.

Next, clean every nook and cranny. Yes, this includes the hard to reach corners in that plastic strip at the back of the engine bay and the area around the shock towers. Make sure every flat surface is very clean (since these show dirt and spots the easiest) and then wipe down every hose and wire loom. Take special care to clean the valve cover and intake shield too. These are the uglier parts of the motor and look even worse if they are dirty. For all of this you can use a quick detailer like Meguiars or Eagle One (my current preference is for the Eagle One).

Wipe the SIDES of everything too. ESPECIALLY the battery and the inner fender wells. These are big surfaces that can hide lots of dirt and spots.

Don't forget the underside of the hood, hood hinges, backs of headlights, and the little area BEHIND the upper grille (dirt loves to hide there).

Finally, get out your tire shine (Meguiars gel works best for this), put it on a rag and wipe down all of your hoses, wire looms, and other rubber parts. This will make them look beautiful.

When you're done, stand back and look for the flaws. Grab a clean microfiber and go after them as you spot them.

I've got my engine bay cleaning time down to under an hour with practice. The first time I did a full cleaning for a show it took 3.

This is the finished product, sorry I don't have a better pic right now:

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
Well now, I think I'd better start getting my cleaning routine going, before I start my under hood mods!

Great info, 3 thumbs up!! (Did I mention I'm a mutant??) :p :p

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I felt weird asking about it cuz I'm still stock, but eventually I would like to mod it a bit with "blue" stuffs. Plus, my buddies poke fun at me and tell me how dirty it is so I want to make sure I get it all clean the next time I see them OR whenever our next big meet is. LOL!! (can you tell I'm a MAJOR rookie??? Ha-ha!:D )

Thanks for the info, guess I better gets to cleaning...I have a lot of work to do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
good info griiz thast exactly what i do ....like he said the first time is the worst cuzz your just learning how to get in those tight spot's and find all the dirt..be carefull around the inside of the fender and shock towers very sharp and can easily cut your arm..if you keep that maintaned it will be a breeze the next few times you do it..im about an hour also on just engine cleaning....but whne your done its well worth it...next time i do my car ill take a pic....

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
Scion-Doll said:
I felt weird asking about it cuz I'm still stock, but eventually I would like to mod it a bit with "blue" stuffs. Plus, my buddies poke fun at me and tell me how dirty it is so I want to make sure I get it all clean the next time I see them OR whenever our next big meet is. LOL!! (can you tell I'm a MAJOR rookie??? Ha-ha!:D )

Thanks for the info, guess I better gets to cleaning...I have a lot of work to do.
Seems like the best time to start is while you're stock imo. Practice, practice,....

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
mybadbox said:
well that works best lol I just pay the detail guy an extra $10 and he waxes
the chrome under the hood :eek: :eek:
Just gotta love a detail guy called "Alien!!" Maybe I'll go see him, give myself a headstart on detailing the engine.

·
Registered
281 Posts
yea he does awsome work 50 will get you a full detail and i mean a full detail but remember to tip!!!! this is a must i am gonna get it done then just keep up on it

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guess I am going to start cleaning up the box tomorrow. I'm gonna wash and wax it and start cleaning under the hood. WOOHOO! I love doing stuff for the first time, how exciting! I gotta clean it for Sunday's event so I'm not the only one with a dirty car (as usual).:eek:

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
grizzly_choppers said:
DAMN! You know that if I clean mine tomorrow that I'll wind up with a nice ICICLE theme?!!!
It's suppose to rain on Monday, but I don't care at least it will be clean and my buddies won't poke fun at the "dirty box". LOL!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I agree, the first time is the most time consuming. Then you just keep it up.
I use Castrol Degreaser (in the purple bottle) on all none chrome items and rinse it off with a very soft water hose setting. After everything is clean and dry, I apply a very fine mist of Showcar Engine Dressing.
I made the mistake to tell a detailer to clean under the hood. The idiot put degreaser and then engine dressing on the hot engine parts. Took me weeks of rubbing and polishing to get my engine cover back to shiny....anyway, once you get it really clean, all you have to do is keep it up and it's not hard at all.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
grizzly_choppers said:
DAMN! You know that if I clean mine tomorrow that I'll wind up with a nice ICICLE theme?!!!
LOL. That's why I'm waiting to clean Toaster and the fact that the water hose faucet broke at my house so...no cleaning here. I clean the inside though.

·
Registered
144 Posts
grizzly_choppers said:
Finally, get out your tire shine (Meguiars gel works best for this), put it on a rag and wipe down all of your hoses, wire looms, and other rubber parts. This will make them look beautiful.
Just an FYI, I owned a Detail shop a few years back and learned that most tire shine is silicone based and is very flamable (I learned it from one of the dealers, we never started a fire with it luckily) so be sure to put it on a rag and wipe your stuff down, don't spray it in your engine compartment or you might be a hurting unit!! :eek: or you can use a water based Dressing if you want to be really careful, or if you are really sloppy :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.