Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first got my xB, I bought an in-dash DVD player from a local stereo shop with the intentions of eventually hooking up an Xbox in my car. I had an amp, sub, and tweeters from my old car and a new inverter so I just paid the shop to install it all at once. Lazy, yeah, I know.

Here's the problem: instead of running a dedicated power wire for the inverter, they just hooked it up in series with my amp. A couple days ago I finally got my Xbox installed and everything seemed fine. Then I tried to play an .mp3 yesterday and when the bass hit, the inverter lost power and shut down the Xbox.

Obviously the draw from the amp is not leaving enough power to keep the inverter running. I can hook a straight line to the battery for my inverter and this will fix the problem, but it's a bit of a pain. Instead, can I hook the inverter in parallel to my amp rather than having to run a whole new power line? The amp is only 325w and the inverter is 400w, although I'm not pulling anywhere near that much with the Xbox. The line that's installed now looks like 10 gauge or maybe 8. Should I split this or just run a separate wire?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I actually did soemthing similar. I had a line going direct back to the amp that I basically spliced off using a powerblock to a switch to run my inverter, inverter dvd player and screens. I would throw an extra fuse to be safe but it should work

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I can't think of any problem it would cause. 10 gauge is good for 100 amps, and even if I maxed out the inverter I'd only be using about 65. I think I'll just split it and see if I have any problems. It's about to rain here anyway, so I need to get this done quickly. I also have an oil change on my gf's car to do. :(

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To answer my own question: nope, you can't run your amp and inverter from the same power line. At least, I couldn't. No matter what I did the inverter would kick off when the bass was turned up. I went ahead and did it The Right Way, running a power wire to the battery and a separate ground to the chassis. No more problems!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.