Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
supermario6582 said:
if you got an impact wrench, its gonna make your life a whole lot easier to get that top nut off.
That's diffenately true, but I was able to do it with hand tools and by myself. Actually had to do the fronts twice...lol forgot to cut my bumpstops the first time. If you don't have any air tools, loosen the 17 mm nut first before you do anything else.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
grey_real_steam said:
what ever you do, DO NOT take the 17 mm center bold off if the strut assembly is off of the car. that thing is gonna fly off about as fast as a bullet. ive seen it tear a guys face up.
What the hell was he doing looking directly into the strut?

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
scionetics said:
aim the top of the strut into a box of towels
and fire away
helps if you have a buddy stepping on the other end
so only one side goes flying
Makes me wonder what's wrong with mine, I had to use a mallet to knock the top plate loose. I had TRD's on there so it didn't pop across the room like the stock springs would.

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
just undo the top nut unless you're doing coilovers or shocks. and i've lowered more than 30 scions and have never needed an impact wrench.

hell i average about 30 minutes front and rear for springs and have done my car in about 20 more than a few times. all with nothing but hand tools.
if you are doing coilovers or shocks you will need to first:

remove the wiper arms with
then all the clips holding the plastic wiper cowl
remove plastic cowl , comes apart in two pieces.
then remove the 3 10 mm bolts holding in the wiper motor after unplugging it's wire of course
then remove all the 10 mm bolts that hold the metal wiper cowl
then remove the 6 ( 3 per strut ) strut bolts/

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
grey_real_steam said:
what ever you do, DO NOT take the 17 mm center bold off if the strut assembly is off of the car. that thing is gonna fly off about as fast as a bullet. ive seen it tear a guys face up.
not on a scion xB , xA , toyota echo or toyota yaris it won't. no matter what springs. trust me. if the car is on the ground and you take it off it can't fly cause teh strut rod is held as high as it can go. no popping going on. if you do it with the wheels raised the strut and axle can jolt down about half an inch but yeah it's pretty damned safe while on the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.