Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend is goingthrough a nasty divorce and wants to know if there's a way to prevent the car from being driven by a person with a set of keys. I k now nothing of these cars so any help is appreciated.

·
Dead box
1,095 Posts
The least disruptive way to keep it from being driven would probably be to install a hidden kill switch for the fuel pump. Not foolproof, but workable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do a kill switch. Hide it under the seat or dash and hook it inline with the power and when flipped, no go. It might fire up and run for a second, but then die. They'll run the battery dead trying to figure out whats going on. I just did an install of this for a coworker whose daughter would take his car from work while he was out making deliveries. Ran the battery dead, but was still there when he got off work.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I vote kill switch to the fuel pump. Or to solenoid on starter so they can't run the battery down.

·
Registered
143 Posts
These are outlawed over here but maybe they're available in car accessory shops over in the USA:

One advisory though; if using a clamp, make sure that the ex doesn't have access to your angle grinder!

·
Registered
643 Posts
How about the easy way out and get one of those pedal locks? If auto put it on brake pedal and car won't come out of park. If manual put it on clutch pedal and it becomes starter kill since car won't start without depressing pedal. They are also not sawable, freezable or pickable. Seems like the simplest solution to me......short of removing wheels and putting it on blocks or jackstands.

·
Registered
2006 Shadow Micah Scion xB 5 speed
85 Posts
How about the easy way out and get one of those pedal locks? If auto put it on brake pedal and car won't come out of park. If manual put it on clutch pedal and it becomes starter kill since car won't start without depressing pedal. They are also not sawable, freezable or pickable. Seems like the simplest solution to me......short of removing wheels and putting it on blocks or jackstands.
That are actually easy to remove. The Club, Pedal Lock, all of them. They are re placebos to make you feel safe. I worked as an auto repossessor and we removed them all the time.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Then take wheels off and leave it on blocks. or chain it to a tree.........I think we are talking about keeping someone from driving it, not ultimate pro thief challenge. The simple stuff will still prevent an average joy riding family member from using it and slow down a pro enough to get shot and/or chewed up by a big dog. I'm sure someone could even get to it being locked in the garage too.......if they have a big enough death wish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts