Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
raced a stock cobalt today and got beat.. basically cause the xb is so slow off the line.. i didnt race him from a 40 start or anything so i dunno how that would of done. but i want to make it faster.. i have the money so i guess what can i do to make it alot faster.. its a auto to.... im thinking supercharger or a turbo but u guys tell me thanks..

·
Registered
827 Posts
You can add either a turbo or S/C, but you are running a risk with engine damage either way. These cars just werent designed for it.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
If you really want forced induction on your auto, I would go with the Greddy S/C setup. It isn't the most powerful forced induction option out there, but probably the most straight forward and easiest to install.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
You should have easily taken the cobalt off the line, unless it was one of the s/c models. I have noticed the box has excellent take-off, but in the mid rpm range, it's sluggish. Do you have a 5spd or an auto?

Anyways, just do the standard bolt-on's, I suggest starting with the engine bay and doing the intake, header, and lightweight pulley. Then, from the header back, open the exhaust up no more than 2"-2.25" Trust me, you won't need ANY more than that.

Optional installs would be a new clutch and a lightweight flywheel. If you have the funds, go for them too.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Are you a brave soul ? :)

Try Nitrous :D , can give you a little more when needed ( or wanted)

After intake, header, and exhaust :rolleyes:

·
Registered
841 Posts
You should have easily taken the cobalt off the line, unless it was one of the s/c models...
Uh, no. A stock xB, especially an auto, will not keep up with a stock Cobalt coupe. I have both, both are manuals, and my Cobalt would KILL my xB.
The xB has some disadvantages to really pushing the VVTi for power. Yes, the motor will handle forced induction, be it by turbo or SC. It will also react reasonably well to INTELLIGENTLY USED nitrous setups. The problem arises with the drivetrain. The clutch, tranny, and drive assembly were not designed to handle the amount of power many are trying to squeeze out of the xB. You really do not want to exceed the 160-180hp range with an xB unless you plan on really beefing up the drivetrain which could be quite costly. My advice, stick with the usual I/H/E upgrades, perhaps a pulley setup, and call it a day. That should keep you well within the reliability range of the xB's drivetrain while still pushing the box beyond the limitations of stock parts.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I see youre wanting to do burnouts, run big HP.....You seriously bought the wrong car dude.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
^^ Very true, it's that or most of the people around here (MO) have no idea how to launch their cars.....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i just going to buy the ZPI turbo kit and install it.. and however fast it is i guess it is then.. then i will just go into looks!! thanks for the advice

·
Registered
354 Posts
Uh, no. A stock xB, especially an auto, will not keep up with a stock Cobalt coupe. I have both, both are manuals, and my Cobalt would KILL my xB.
I had beat some cobalts with just an air intake.. not the SC cobalt though. an SC cobalt has beaten me.

·
Registered
841 Posts
oh and i have a manual.
Two questions:
1. Did the person in the Cobalt know you were trying to race?
2. How old was the old lady driving it?

As I stated before, I have an '06 xB with a manual. I also have an '06 Cobalt coupe with a manual. I have driven both on a regular basis. The Cobalt is noticeably quicker than the xB. Trust me.
Simply put, neither one of these two was designed to be a race car.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Two questions:
1. Did the person in the Cobalt know you were trying to race?
2. How old was the old lady driving it?

As I stated before, I have an '06 xB with a manual. I also have an '06 Cobalt coupe with a manual. I have driven both on a regular basis. The Cobalt is noticeably quicker than the xB. Trust me.
Simply put, neither one of these two was designed to be a race car.
Dont turn this into SL.. and dont disrespect me like that. I wasnt trying to be an @$$ about it so you dont have to be @$$.. if you want to be like that go to SL.. All i was trying to say is that i have beaten a Cobalt I didnt say i blasted him and left him sitting but i did beat him by about a front fender.. that was about a year ago maybe a year and a half

One the person wanted to race me so at a red light we set up and two he was about mid twenties.

Plus you said its noticably quicker that doesnt tell me you have tried racing them together to actually see. I am just stating from my experience that when i had just an intake oh and believe i had already taken my muffler off at that time but not sure but if i did then was intake and no muffler and I beat a Cobalt.

As far as accelaration have always had good acceleration with my xb and even better now.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
no **** .. if the colbat was stick and you are auto you will have your ass handed to you. i drive a stick and i HAVE BEATEN the cobalt ls or what ever..
i dont take notes of people i race. my engin is all stock now.. i took my cold air intake off. about to put it back on. dont mean to sound rude but it just sounds like you dont know how to handle the box. no they are not high profomance cars, but they can haul ass.. well thats all i have to say not that anyone here cares to here from me.. i mean im the kid that cant spell right?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Sorry if this comes off wrong, not flaming, but I dont consider mid 15's "hauling ass". Maybe it's because I came from the mustang community, but this car is slow. Dont matter who's driving it, it may feel like it's pulling hard, but it is still a 15 second car. Havn't heard of a single box (with proof) that broke into the 14's. If somebody has proof of it, I would love to see it, and what they did to the car to acheive that. But where I come from, you arent doing anything until you break at least into the 13's.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.