Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
iheartmyxb said:
hey guys i just got some Progress Lowering Springs how hard is it to install them?
? could u guys kind of give me directions on how to do it? thanks
Fronts are the only difficult ones because of the struts, the backs are cake!
With out the correct tools I'm not sure how others are doing the fronts.

I work at a shop, and have the right tools on hand. Wall mounted spring compressor, etc. took me about 45min to do all of them. 30 on front 15 on back.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
I didn't use a spring compressor on the fronts, and used the old school towels in a box to cushion the strut method. It doesn't actually travel that far considering the length of the spring. An hour total time at the most w/ hand tools. The rear only takes a few minutes. Just unbolt the shock at either end, jack up the car, and let the springs fall out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Dude springs are no problem if you have a bit of mechanical ability and the right tools. I've done numerous suspensions and the xB is one of the easiest 45min job. Here's what you need:

Ratchet
17mm socket (top strut nut/rear shock nut)
12mm box wrench (top strut mount nuts)
19mm socket (strut to spindle bolts/nuts)
14mm socket (brakeline bracket bolt)
spring compressor
Floor jack/jack stands
2 new top strut nuts
Time

Now the thing is do you have any mechanical abilities?
or
Maybe one of the guys in your area who has done these can give you a hand
I just did a guys here in SC this past weekend
or
If you have any question as to your abilities...........pay a shop to do it.
There is nothing wrong with paying for a bit of "peace of mind"

Peace

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
iheartmyxb said:
alright thanks bro b ut like how do i do it?
take off the wheels.. and i dont know from there =/
just now starting to work onmy car and i dont want to **** it up.
I can tell you how to do the back.

Jack the back up, put jack stands on the outside rails.
Pop the little covers off the tops of the strut towers in the back hatch.
Remove the two nuts on each side, the shocks and rear axle will swing down towards the ground, remove the springs, slide in the new ones. Jack the rear axle and shocks back up into the mounting holes and put the nuts back on. I don't know the top from the bottom of the springs that you have, so I don't know which end goes up.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pitman said:
Dude springs are no problem if you have a bit of mechanical ability and the right tools. I've done numerous suspensions and the xB is one of the easiest 45min job. Here's what you need:

Ratchet
17mm socket (top strut nut/rear shock nut)
12mm box wrench (top strut mount nuts)
19mm socket (strut to spindle bolts/nuts)
14mm socket (brakeline bracket bolt)
spring compressor
Floor jack/jack stands
2 new top strut nuts
Time

Now the thing is do you have any mechanical abilities?
or
Maybe one of the guys in your area who has done these can give you a hand
I just did a guys here in SC this past weekend
or
If you have any question as to your abilities...........pay a shop to do it.
There is nothing wrong with paying for a bit of "peace of mind"

Peace
thanks alot my 2 friends are gonna help me and they lowered a accord and civic and some other cars before so they said they help.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not really I would bet that most guys don't replace them. But for a few bucks might as well ........these are not nylon lock nuts they have "gills" on the bottom that act as a locking mechanisim after one use they can "wear down" and might not be as affective ............but with that said......it's up to you. it is recommended however.

Peace

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
I didn't initially replace my strut nuts, but did after they kept loosening on me. It stop that problem.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pitman said:
Not really I would bet that most guys don't replace them. But for a few bucks might as well ........these are not nylon lock nuts they have "gills" on the bottom that act as a locking mechanisim after one use they can "wear down" and might not be as affective ............but with that said......it's up to you. it is recommended however.

Peace
alright htanks where do u think i can get some and for about how much? im kinda way low on cash i just bought wheels and springs so i dont really have money to be spendin.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Local Toyota dealer,........... don't know how much but I'm sure you can find some change laying around to pay for them. Maybe a couple of bucks. Mine came with my coilovers and before that I didn't replace them when I first put my S.Techs on. The guy's I just did last weeekend got them from the dealer here don't know how much he paid, sorry

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
It took me an hour at a freinds shop with all the air tools and wall mounted spring compressor. The tools make the job easy.

·
Registered
368 Posts
When I changed out my springs had my son and his friend helping, did it in about 1 hr and 20 min start to finish.
used spring compressor bought for the job.
If I can do it with help, anyone should. But if your not comfortable doing it get a friend that knows to help.

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
i can lower xb's/ xa's on springs in 45 minutes or less guarranteed , i've done it about 50 times . my fastest yet was 20 minutes .

with nothing but hand tools.

·
Registered
90 Posts
hotbox..........20min come on man!!.........it's 5-10min just to jack up take off front wheels .......reinstall wheels. then off the jack. That is with all hand tools and 1 jack, no lift etc. Now if you had a lift and air tools then I can see 20 min. but ALL HAND TOOLS.. NO WAY 20 min. sorry bro! I've been doin suspensions for 15years ,......raise, lower, struts, springs, torsion bars, whatever. By myself busting my [email protected]@ all hand tools..... I could probably do 30 min. I mean the rears are what 2min maybe. But the fronts unless your a cowboy and don't compress the springs when you take them off, the fronts are 10 min a piece done right. I don't mean to be a spoiler but PLEASE!

Peace!!:D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.