Scion xB Forum banner

how to get sponsored?

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  scvscions 
#1 ·
i just wanna know like what its about and maybe how to get sponsored?

#2 ·
Spend a lot of money and build a badass car. Once you're done, they MAY come and get you more stuff, but not always. It usually boils down to being someones puppet, allowing them to plaster your car with stickers, and you getting a 20% discount off of parts. Unless you are first in the game, or are building a crazy project, sponsorships are kinda pointless for the most part. Id much rather be loyal to a group of shops and give THEM the recognition for how they treat me.

scotty

#6 ·
A lot of the time a sponsor will make you put a bunch of bolt on stuff and make the vehicle too crazy. Then the essence of what you are trying to achieve is blurred. Unless they just flop in your lap dont worry about it.

#9 ·
if you want to get sponsored you're gonna have to treat it like a business arrangement. Freshen up your writing skills and write up a sponsorship proposal to the potential sponsor as to your history, current car, what you've done and what you have planned to do. You will also want to make it clear as to what you intend to do with the car and ultimately what you can do for the sponsor. Something like going to race events or shows and working/setting up a booth for them, passing out brochures and display sample product. by doing this, my boss was able to get Quaker State/Q Racing to be the title sponsor on our race car last year as well as other big names like act, hks, je..

what you don't want to do is be like a lot of the dumbasses that call me and go... i have insert car here ... can you sponsor me? i want free parts :rolleyes:

#12 ·
Ive been sponsored by various companies over the years. From about the mid 90s to now, and it really comes down to how active you are. The reason sponsors give you free stuff or even give you cost on stuff is cuz they want to sell more product. The more your car is seen the more promotion and exposure you give them. In most cases, you need to appear at about 10+ shows a year, and not just the ones in your area. You have to be willing to drive to other cities, sometimes putting a good 2-3k miles on your car, or at the extreme drive to another state. The events can't be just local meets, they would prefer big events like SEMA or NOPI, car shows like HIN, and sometimes races have little shows within.

You need to weigh how much things cost vs. how much wear and tear on your car. On the box, most parts are pretty inexpensive so it may not be worth it for you to spend that much time and money on traveling to shows. I've had sponsors on various Lexus and Mercedes cars that it might be worth it since the parts cost $1000+.

Its also an overall give and take. With lower priced parts, sponsors may expect a little less from you and give you more, especially if its a mass produced part from China. I had a partial Lorinser sponsorship on my CLK about 6 years ago. The retail on the kit was $5900 at the time, I got it all painted and installed for about $2800, which is about a good 60-70% cheaper since paint and install would of cost me about $2000.

Some advice would be, like other posters said, write a really strong proposal. You should have already spent a great deal on the car already, you can't say oh I have wheels and tail lights but I plan on adding this and that. Then it makes it look like you just want a handout. You should already have the basic boltons, kit, wheels etc. Hopefully this isnt your first project, and you have at least a few cars under your belt and can say well I built this and that before and I won this and that show etc. Also show where exactly your car will give them exposure, ie... features on different sites, magazine coverage, companies that will use your car in their ads, you have 9000+ posts on which sites, stuff that will make you stand out and be unique. Finally, go after small companies that just came out. Companies like Greddy, HKS, Eibach or whatever gets like 100 proposals a day for sponsorship. ABC wheels or other smaller obscure companies may only get 2-3 a week, so your chances of being sponsored by them is much higher.

Hope this helps.

#14 ·
Just watch the sponsors if you do get something. Nothing is free. I've had to turn down sponsors cause it wasn't how I wanted my car to look and one even got pissed at me for telling him no. You need contracts that way everything is spelled out in the beginning so everone knows what their doing. Build the car for you and you'll be happy, take advise if you run out of ideas but twist them and make them your own. At the end of the day you'll love your car more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.