Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to replace my starter but access to the top bolt is really tough. I can't seem to access it from the top or the bottom. It looks like it might be right underneath the manifolds. Any tips on this?

·
Registered
147 Posts
One of the starter motor bolts go in from the transmission side, I think that's the top one. Neither are much hassle, I did it yesterday actually dropping my trans. 14mm bolts, ratchet and extension.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Just looked at the DIY section and post for starter replacement. If yours is a 1st gen it shows the location of the bolts with pics. Not fun to get at.
He took them out from the bottom if I read correctly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The top and bottom bolts are in line with each other but screw in from opposite sides. I had to remove the battery and air box and accessed the top bolt from above. Couldn’t get enough leverage on it from below. Once I figured this out it was easy enough but spent over an hour trying to figure out where the top bolt Head even was lol. Spent a lot of time fishing in the dark.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used a about 8-10" extention. When I replaced mine I loosened mine from the top . There is a great video on youtube that I watched and did the same. Took about 30 min to an hour. I have no air box I use a SRI so that saved a lot of time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts