Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Safe enough for me to put my daughter in!! It passes USA crash tests. The only thing is, when crashed they look bad, but it's because of the crumple zones or what ever the tech words are. Look around at some of the videos posted of roll overs and crashes, they all look bad from the outside but the passengers area are still good. People think just cause a is small it isn't safe, it is.

my .02

·
Registered
144 Posts
this is from one of the consumer auto sites:

NHTSA Crash-Test Results
Test 4-door wagon
Front Impact, Driver 4
Front Impact, Passenger 4
Side Impact, Driver 3
Side Impact, Rear Passenger 4

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) tests a vehicle's crashworthiness in front- and side-impact collisions and rates its resistance to rollovers. Front-impact crash-test numbers indicate the chance of serious injury: 5 = 10% or less; 4 = 10-20%; 3 = 20-35%; 2 = 35-45%; 1 = More than 45%. Side-impact crash-test numbers indicate: 5 = 5% or less; 4 = 6-10%; 3 = 11-20%; 2 = 21-25%; 1 = More than 26%. Rollover resistance numbers indicate the chance for rollover when the vehicle leaves the roadway: 5 = Less than 10%; 4 = 10-20%; 3 = 20-30%; 2 = 30-40%; 1 = More than 40%.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
They damage easily and total fairly easy, it's known that a ton walk away from the accident in good health. I've seen drunks on the internet roll the xB in a field and brite and early the next day photographing the xB and all it's damage, walking around laughing about the situation.VVV

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
They damage easily and total fairly easy, it's known that a ton walk away from the accident in good health. I've seen drunks on the internet roll the xB in a field and brite and early the next day photographing the xB and all it's damage, walking around laughing about the situation.VVV

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HW6fr8tyBCQ
tell me why these fools have hella beer in there car. dumbasses.
id never do anything stupid like that. i love my car.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Yeah, some people can be really stupid some times.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just about any car as lightweight as the xB will be less safe than a significantly heavier vehicle, and just about any car without side airbags will be less safe than one with side airbags.

When looking at safety, it's important to consider just what comparisons you're making. How's the xB compare to other vehicles in its weight class without side airbags? At least OK, as far as I can tell. How's it compare to a Crown Victoria? Not so well, but a Crown Vic is probably close to twice as heavy.

The IIHS folks think the xB is better than a Kia Rio or a Hyundai Accent, even with the side airbags.

Unhelpfully, they classify the xB as a "Specialty" car in their injury, collision, and theft ratings, which makes it hard to compare to minivans/wagons (like the xA). But it's pretty much in the middle of the pack of similar vehicles.

An of course, there's always you. Chill out, take a breath, keep your eyes open, chill out some more, don't drive when you're sleepy or otherwise distracted, and you'll go far. I swear, back when Volvo was running one of their perennial "we're so safe" ad campaigns, I never saw so many boneheaded moves as those made by Volvo drivers, who were, presumably, thinking "my car's safe, so I don't have to be!"

(Can you tell I've got work I'm trying to avoid?) :mad:P

·
Registered
8 Posts

This was my lava, rolled at 90km/h (55 mph) and wrecked with the "help" of someone driving a Grand Am. [/sarcasm]

After being struck in the passenger side by the Grand Am, my box rotated 90 degrees clockwise before doing a 1 and 1/4 roll, landing on the driver's side. Luckily, I managed to escape without a scratch.

I'd say they're pretty safe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
owwwww, dude what are you going to do? can it be fixed?
Well, I suppose anything can be fixed, given enough time and money...

The other driver's insurance company has accepted full liability, and I already have a cheque in my hands. The insurance company came and took my lava away a few days ago. I'm looking around for a 3.0 or, preferably, a 4.0 now. Too bad the 4.0s are so expensive... I hadn't been planning on an upgrade for a few years yet.

But what are you going to do, eh?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Hate to see any box hurt, but it's especially bad when it's one of the RS models. Worst of all is when a Hot Lava dies. :(

Glad you came through OK - the little box did it's best for you.

Hope you can find another to replace it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My boyfriend was driving mine and hit the left curb at 40 then the right because he lost control, it was rough but we we not hurt at all and my car wasn't drivable until we got it fixed, it was 5000 to get it fixed. but my RS3 is now all gravy and i got new rims out of the deal :] so i would say they are very safe, and im very sad to see that lava so broken

·
Registered
46 Posts
i feel very safe in mine... much more so than my MR2 anyway :)
no but i've read only good things about it - dunno where you heard it was unsafe.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts