Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

how much for 30000 mi?

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Sir 
#1 ·
Okay...still a 'Noob' to this, ;)

SO, my car just reached 30k and I asked my stealership how much it would cost to do the check up, and the figure nearly bowled me off my feet $360.95!!!!!

I have a feeling that this just cant be right....can you help me out? Where can I get a 30k check up done for cheap?

Sam

#5 ·
^^Yeah, just ask that they do what is stated in the manual. That's what I did for my 15k service. It was much cheaper to order "a la carte" than to buy one of their "specials."

I don't have a garage, I don't have tools, I am NOT mechanically inclined, and I especially don't have time, so I am always at the mercy of mechanics and/or dealerships....what a crappy feeling :( Anybody know of any good Scion-friendly mechanics in the Bay Area?

#6 ·
It all depends on your Box:
Regular oil and filter $20
Regular Plugs $4
T-IV for autos, Regular gear for sticks $20
Paper air filter $10
Toyota Red Coolant $10
Cabin Air Filter $10
----------------------------
I use synthetic so the prices are different. The plugs are regular plugs but I put in iridiums which cost about $28 to $32. If you have an auto it's a must that you use T-IV or the correct Lubeguard additive with dexron III. In the sticks I had Synthetic as well for a 4% savings in gas mileage. Every little bit helps. Toyota Red is not a long life coolant and likes to be changed in 30K increments to help stop the hoses ends from foaming up like they do when corrosion kicks in. If you have a reusable air filter, now's a good time to clean it and let it DRY. If you use oil use it sparingly. And change your cabin air filter at this time(whether you make it yourself or buy it pre made)

#10 ·
It all depends on your Box:
Regular oil and filter $20
Regular Plugs $4
T-IV for autos, Regular gear for sticks $20
Paper air filter $10
Toyota Red Coolant $10
Cabin Air Filter $10
----------------------------
I use synthetic so the prices are different. The plugs are regular plugs but I put in iridiums which cost about $28 to $32. If you have an auto it's a must that you use T-IV or the correct Lubeguard additive with dexron III. In the sticks I had Synthetic as well for a 4% savings in gas mileage. Every little bit helps. Toyota Red is not a long life coolant and likes to be changed in 30K increments to help stop the hoses ends from foaming up like they do when corrosion kicks in. If you have a reusable air filter, now's a good time to clean it and let it DRY. If you use oil use it sparingly. And change your cabin air filter at this time(whether you make it yourself or buy it pre made)
Are you a Toyota tech? If so how much do you charge for the service?

#7 ·
THere is nothing to grease on the chassis, so jsut change the oil, filter, if it an auto you may need to change the trans fluid as well, depending on the type of plugs you may need to change those as well. YOu might want to clean the throttle body, cant hurt. Dealerships offer that crappy service for those who dont have time. I do everything on my own.

#8 ·
I believe the manual says to just change engine oil and filter, air filter, spark plugs, and visually inspect brakes and so on...coolant doesn't have to be done until longer because it is Super Long Life. I would reccommend changing it before the service interval of 100,000 miles probably around 3 yrs or 45,000. But keep in mind doing service at dealerships will help you if you ever need assistance on warranty item expecially if your just out of warranty by a little bit they will most likely goodwill repairs if they seen you have your maintence done at the dealership.

#9 ·
....But keep in mind doing service at dealerships will help you if you ever need assistance on warranty item expecially if your just out of warranty by a little bit they will most likely goodwill repairs if they seen you have your maintence done at the dealership.
That is simply untrue.

You should read up on The Magnusson-Moss Act. DIY'ers are fully covered, and the warranty stays intact.

#12 ·
actually dealers vary on what they actually put on their major service. and yeah.. its almost around that much more or less. this is whats on our major service for a scion..

"parts"

oil filter
gasket
oil
brake clean
air filter
battery cleaner
engine oil supplemnt
fuel treatment
coolant
type t4 trans fluid ($7 a quart x4)
(some dealers will throw in the cabin filter as part of the service, spark plugs.. if they are the regular ones ie. $5.00 or less, it comes with it, iridiums.. $10+ it optional..extra money on your part.)

"inspection"
wiper blades
drive belts
thermostat
all fluids "must top off if low"
int. lamps and horn
hoses
plugs, cap, rotor
axle boot
tires

"service"
rotate tires
clean brakes
re-torque suspension bolts
+ replacement of all parts above.

most of the stuff your paying for are in the labor. your looking at under $100 in parts. my suggestion, do an intermediate w/ a coolant and tranny service. its pretty much the same thing and youll save a few bucks.

#16 ·
I went to the dealer today...and he tryed so hard to find any reason to keep the price jacked up....but all he found was things that the other dealer did, that they didnt...and the other dealer was CHEAPER!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.