Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to my maintenance manual, I'm supposed to get my first oil change at 5,000 miles (I have an xB RS 3.0). My husband called today to tell me his friend said new cars should have an oil change at 500 to 1,000 miles to get rid of metal shavings from the engine which are in the oil. He sent me some links to back up this theory.

SO - to those of you who know about this sort of thing - should I wait until 5,000 miles or go in now (my car is at 800 or so right now).

Thanks!

Susan

·
Registered
311 Posts
Rowan555 said:
According to my maintenance manual, I'm supposed to get my first oil change at 5,000 miles (I have an xB RS 3.0). My husband called today to tell me his friend said new cars should have an oil change at 500 to 1,000 miles to get rid of metal shavings from the engine which are in the oil. He sent me some links to back up this theory.

SO - to those of you who know about this sort of thing - should I wait until 5,000 miles or go in now (my car is at 800 or so right now).

Thanks!

Susan
i would say go with what the dealer says.. :) 5,000 bcuz thatz what i was told.. but then again if it gets rid of the metal shavings then go ahead and give it a shot.. i'd jst wait for my FREE one at the dealership.

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
I wouldn't think that you'd get that much metal in the engine so soon.........

We're waiting for 5k to do the wife's xB.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
I had the three free oil changes w/ my xB when I bought it, so I did the change at just over 500 miles anyway.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I changed right after I completed the 1000 mile break-in, used one of my 3 free changes but would have paid for it if necessary.

I did an oil analysis on every oil change for my previous car and found no metal shavings problem after the break-in miles. What I did find was a higher than normal level of silicon (sand) so was glad I did not run until the scheduled oil change. I did NOT check the xB oil but I feel better changing out any break-in oil even when the manufacturer says I don't have to.

I will change again at 5,000 miles and 10,000 miles or no more than 6 mo between changes - these will both be free. I will then use synthetic oil for the rest of the time that I own the xB with changes every 7500-10000 miles or once a year. I am basing this schedule, my own, on the experience I had with my prior car.

·
ClubxB's OG Member
22,258 Posts
i got my changed at 2,500miles. 2nd time was at 5,000 miles after that. my 3rd oil change is coming up when i come back from Sacramento.

·
Registered
2004 Scion xB RS 1.0 #788
2,912 Posts
Hmmm....well....I got mine changed at 3,052 so.....ummmm...anytime in between there i guess.

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
boxd_up_2 said:
The dealer suggested the first change after 1,000 for both of ours, and they did it for free without using one of the 3 free oil changes.
Really?

Hmm, I'll have to look into that for Susie's. That'll still leave her with 3 free ones!

·
Registered
361 Posts
ChromiumSteel said:
I can't wait to put synth in my box. May get an extra mile per gallon...
Good luck w/ the extra mpg. after engine break-in there are contaminants that wont kill you engine right there, but could generate some excessive wear probally wont ever notice, but changing oil has never hurt an engine.(if you do it right)

·
Registered
339 Posts
My dealer said the engines are broken in at the factory and don't need to have the early oil change.

I changed mine to synthetic at ~ 1K :D (I don't trust dealers, sorry)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
superjeer said:
My dealer said the engines are broken in at the factory and don't need to have the early oil change.

I changed mine to synthetic at ~ 1K :D (I don't trust dealers, sorry)

Okay, you have all given me a lot to think about. I guess I'll get an oil change at 1,000 miles, then go to the dealer at 5K for my first free oil change. It's worth the $30 to potentially lengthen the life of my car, as I plan to keep this one forever!

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
Rowan555 said:
Okay, you have all given me a lot to think about. I guess I'll get an oil change at 1,000 miles, then go to the dealer at 5K for my first free oil change. It's worth the $30 to potentially lengthen the life of my car, as I plan to keep this one forever!
Sounds like a plan Susan! Good to see you on the boards, anything new with your rs3?????

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
DTRAIN619 said:
Sounds like a plan Susan! Good to see you on the boards, anything new with your rs3?????
I kind of disappeared as soon as my 3.0 came in, didn't I? Things have been crazy around here, and I haven't had much time to "play" online. I did get the windows tinted - I got the strip across the windshield, a light tint in the front, and limo tint on the back windows and cargo window. It looks really nice! I also got a 30 gig video iPod to go with the stereo, and the kids and I are loving it! I never in a million years would have bought an iPod if it wasn't for that stereo - so the Apple people are really doing a great marketing job by getting these iPod compatible stereos put in new cars!

I've been getting lots of stares, confused looks, and thumbs up since I got my car - it's definitely a "love it or hate it" kind of car, isn't it? We also noticed a 3.0 on the dealer lot in Jackson, MS last weekend, but it was very hard to see from the interstate. By the time we left it was gone - I told my husband that someone probably saw my car on the road and called the dealer to ask about getting one. I should have demanded a commission :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm going to try to come around here more often once things calm down, and I'll get around to posting a photo sometime soon. Thanks again!

Susan

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
Rowan555 said:
I kind of disappeared as soon as my 3.0 came in, didn't I? Things have been crazy around here, and I haven't had much time to "play" online. I did get the windows tinted - I got the strip across the windshield, a light tint in the front, and limo tint on the back windows and cargo window. It looks really nice! I also got a 30 gig video iPod to go with the stereo, and the kids and I are loving it! I never in a million years would have bought an iPod if it wasn't for that stereo - so the Apple people are really doing a great marketing job by getting these iPod compatible stereos put in new cars!

I've been getting lots of stares, confused looks, and thumbs up since I got my car - it's definitely a "love it or hate it" kind of car, isn't it? We also noticed a 3.0 on the dealer lot in Jackson, MS last weekend, but it was very hard to see from the interstate. By the time we left it was gone - I told my husband that someone probably saw my car on the road and called the dealer to ask about getting one. I should have demanded a commission :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm going to try to come around here more often once things calm down, and I'll get around to posting a photo sometime soon. Thanks again!

Susan
Wow! Sounds like you've been having lots of fun!! Come around when you can, your place is secure here!!

And please post pics when you can! :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.