Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have many plans for my box and am very new to the whole car show scene. my other ride was a very showy vehicle for its year but by no means a showstopper. now that i have a new car id like to try to enter it in shows etc once i begin my many planned mods

i sometimes see pics of pretty "normal looking" scions that have won awards
im guessing these awards were for something under the hood rather than stereo or apperance then

is it solely up to judges at events and how hard is it to win in your experience

·
Registered
43 Posts
totally depends on the type of show. many judges have not judge scions at the smaller shows and we tend to win for imports even with little modifications (especially if the car is clean). however, if you want to win in modified categories you have to bring your a-game. for more import only shows you really have to step up to the plate and if its a scion only show its pretty damn hard, because the judges know whats possible.

enter shows for the fun of hanging out with other car lovers and you'll have more fun, if you win then thats just one more thing to be happy about.

enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
BigBaby said:
enter shows for the fun of hanging out with other car lovers and you'll have more fun, if you win then thats just one more thing to be happy about.
I'm new to the car show scene (HIN was my first one), but I'm not it in for the trophies, but for the exposure. I agree with BigBaby, that's exactly what I did; I had fun hanging out with my friends and getting some exposure for my xB.;)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
LuvmyxB said:
Show a CLEAN box that is number one!!! :)

Somebody needs to frame that for me!!:eek:

Seriously though, I agree about the vehicle's cleanliness being #1. If you're showing with a big fancy body kit, but fittment is crap or it's all cracked up then you're not winning in my book. In many shows, however, more = better. Not my bag.

Show to meet people and hang out. The show scene can be TONS of fun if you go in with an easy going and relaxed attitude. If you're too competitive, you won't have any fun and people will hate on you.

Build the car for yourself and then use the shows to show off your ideas. That's the way to go.

-Alex

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Mod, Mod, Clean, Clean, Mod, Clean, Clean, Clean, Mod, Clean, Show! Win!

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
be original! do something crazy like something way out there with your dome light maybe. not that i know just throwin out some ideas:p

·
Registered
410 Posts
Scion XB

To place keep it clean but you have to A lot of mods and if you can do somethng that not everyone else has to make your car stand out from others that will help.

What I would suggest is Dont build the car and go to shows expecting to place. Build the car how ever you want it to look go to as many shows as you can and just have a great time. If you place even better but you Never want to go to a show thinking im going to place or I could place then if you dont it will ruin the day.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
every car show has a different criteria. and every judge is different. do what you think is best and be happy w/ your car. dotn bother w/ lambo doors and other useless mods invest that money in good wheels, good paint n etc. the overall first view of the car counts for a lot. then go for the interior engine and stereo system etc etc etc

·
Registered
219 Posts
We got our two xBs just before the summer and have attended only a few events. I may be wrong here but it seems to be that the most prizes and trophies go to the car owners who have invested the most amount of money in mods (whether TRD or aftermarket) rather than those who have been more creative on a smaller budget. One man's opinion. Any reactions to this?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I just have a comment and I hope it doesn't offend anyone here....I think "fully" sponsored cars shouldn't be allowed to enter shows for win bc thats not fair to the little guy who works hard to put his box together ALONE!!! Thats JMO tho!!! :D :D

I mean if you can win at EAF or HIN you shouldn't NEED to enter little here and there car shows just for another notch!

I could be wrong! ;)

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
lostreception said:
i sometimes see pics of pretty "normal looking" scions that have won awards
im guessing these awards were for something under the hood rather than stereo or apperance then

is it solely up to judges at events and how hard is it to win in your experience

Almost sounds like he was talking about mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Frogbox said:
Well as I see it you need to put alot of money towards your car to win anything, and sponsors give that.

I got under body, home brew and unique
I got intake, like evryone just a different brand
and a list of mods that just about everyone that really looks likes
But mi little box ain't never been looked at by a judge at even the local shows.

Last show I went too, one of the winners showed up late and wasn't really that impressive to me. No big deal

You want to win, pray to the scion gods, become their friends and clean your car.( Have noticed that having an RS or TCM helps as well)

And I do agree that those that don't have sponsors should be in a "Daily Driver " type set up but I thought that was only me, at least that is what I was told cause I'm a sore loser.

I mod my car for me, my satisfaction. If someone sees it and likes it cool, if not oh well they don't have to be seen in it.

Heres a pix of a group of Scions and owners traveling back to the SF Bay Area thru the Grapevine from LA, in the snow. Oh, look! There is a heavly sponsored DAILY DRIVER THAT'S NOT AN RS OR TCM, right in front. Oh, but wait. That car actually brought up the rear and caught all the road grime from all the other cars, just to make sure everyone stayed in a group. So much for your daily driver/sponsored car thoery.

By the way, in order to be a, "sore loser". You actually have to get in to the competition, not just complain about it.

If you mod your car for you, then why are you complaining about the people that beat your a$$ at shows?

Every sponsor we have is earned by proving that we spend our time promoting their products at shows, events and on a daily basis as we drive our car. You see, sponsors like to see that you actually drive the car, with not only their products but their name on the car. Not to mention the endless hours I spend online and on the phone talking with them convincing them we are worthy of their assistance. Anyone willing to put the time in can do what a few of us that are dedicated to our passion do. It ain't rocket science. Just persistence and determination.

sorry I went off topic guys

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.