Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have been debating on tackling the lowering of my car on my own or getting it done. Im going to just be doing springs. Has anyone here done it? im very mechanically inclined and have done alot of work on cars but have never dipped into the suspension. Could anyone tell me the difficulty of it and/or and special tools i may need? oh and also what springs have the most drop? any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
485 Posts
here ya are

Get Ready:

Nut Sizes: 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, 19mm

Tools: Floor Jack, Jack Stands, Sockets and Wrenches in above sizes, Flathead Screwdriver
Optional: Latex Gloves, Impact Wrench, Corona Extra, Tylenol, Toyota Mechanic

Buddies Required (Not including yourself): One (you can have more but they will only make fun of you, drink your beer and eat your snacks)

Rear Installation:

1. Once you get the rear of the car jacked up, it is not necessary to take off the rear wheels, you can do it without doing so but it makes it alot easier, especially if you don't know what you're doing (as evidenced in the following pictures).

2. Once you have one side of the rear up take off the Shock nut (17mm) that attaches the Rear shock and Suspension.

3. Once you've taken off the nut, proceed to 'jiggle' the shock loose of the bolt that it is attached to until it is completely off.

4. If you have the whole rear of the car lifted, just pump the jack a few more times and the springs should pop right out, if not push down on the rear brake drum brake body and have your buddy (see requirements) pull out the spring.

5. Remember to take care full note of which way the rubber grommets fit back in the assembly before you remove the springs completely. The top grommet should have the indented holes section facing upwards.

6. When placing the new springs into the assembly be sure that it aligns with the top rubber grommet to fit in place with the stop on the grommet.

You can now put the rear suspsension back together. See how easy that was?! Just take note that as with the front, springs will not settle into the proper drop right away. In most cases, it takes about 2 weeks to properly settle to the proper height, though most of the rear will settle while you're working on the front springs.

Front Installation:

First things first. Do you have an air gun to undo the big nut (god I love that term!) in the front strut? If you don't, or hell, even if you do, I would recommend loosening the strut nut that compresses the spring down before you remove the front strut assembly - you'll see why later in this FAQ and I'll point it out before you have to.

As usual, we are not going to go into detail on how to jack up the car and remove the wheels, but you better do it now before you go to the removal steps. Put the car on jack stands so it doesn't fall on your face.

1. Under the hood: Remove the rubber dust cap that covers the top of each strut tower.

2. If you are using hand tools then you should start by loosening the large 17mm nut a bit to make it easier in the long run. If you don't do it now then its a real pain in the butt later. Just loosen it a little, don't remove it!

3. Remove the nuts (12mm) at the top of the struts. The one hiding in the rear is a real pain in the butt though and cannot be removed with a normal socket wrench. Manual labor time.

4. Disconnect the front brake line housing that attaches it to the front strut by removing the bolt (14mm) in this picture.

5. Use a flathead screwdriver to undo the clip that holds in place the ABS sensor line.

6. Use a 19mm socket to remove the 2 lower bolts that attaches the strut to the lower arm.

7. Disassemble the strut and lower arm assembly and remove the strut from the car.

8. The front strut is now off the car and randy goes for a little finger dip action where its nice and lubricated (not neccessary and completely optional). You'll need to remove some of this lubricant when you remove that big nut(!).

9. While holding down the front strut firmly in place go ahead and remove the big nut from the front strut. *When the nut comes off, part of the assembly will spring out, do not be surprised and take precaution as to where both ends of the strut are pointed.*

10. Be sure to take note of the order of the front strut assembly. It's the strut rubber housing, the metal plate, a paper-like thick bushing, and the top plastic housing.

11. When putting the new spring in, make sure that end meets up with the lower stop on the strut.

12. The arrow on the rubber housing should be point outward of the car - in this case, facing in the same direction as those 2 forks on the lower part of the strut (the ones that hold the lower part of the strut to the lower arm).

·
Registered
485 Posts
13. When you place the top metal portion of the strut assembly on, make sure that the side labeled 'OUT' is facing the outside of the car (same as with the rubber boot cover housing).

14. When you're done with that, place on the paper-like bushing and then the top of the strut assembly housing on the strut and have someone push down on the assembly while another places the big nut back in the strut.

15. Go ahead and tighten up the big nut, you do not need to do this all the way as you should tighten it more after you've placed the strut back in the car.

16. Put the strut back in. It helps while someone holds it down in place on the bottom while someone helps to guid the top strut into place.

17. Place and tighten up the screws that hold the top of the strut into place.

18. Replace the bolts that attach the shock assembly to the suspension. They should be inserted in the front and the nuts secured to it from the rear like the top not in this photo. (from the front passenger side)

Anyways, after you put into place the two lower bolts that hold the strut to the lower arm, remember to put the ABS sensor line back on the clip and to bolt on the front brake line housing to the strut. Once you've done that you're all done and you can continue to the other side![/quote]

courtesy of http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20769

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow thanks for the how-to and sorry if its a repost i tried searching but not too great with the search option and one more question as to what springs give the lowest drop?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Very nice DYI !

backseatchris said:
For someone who is mechanically inclined, this whole process should take an hour or less.
Thanks Chris, that was very helpful, and informative, the pictures really help. I may try this myself as well!
Between you and Tomas, I appear to really know what I'm doing with my Scion! Many many thanks!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just install my springs on the weekend. I think a spring compressor will save you a lot of time, since it is only about $6 per day to rent. I was having problem putting the top nut in without the compressor.

·
Registered
552 Posts
The rear takes 10 min.
The front about an hour

with the step by step from above anyone with wrenches can do it. Super easy. I'm getting ready to do it a second time this week end when I put on the Monroe's

cheers

·
Registered
62 Posts
OK, that doesnt mean it is safe.I am not looking to have an arguement. It will only take one time for you to understand. I have lowered and rasied hundreds of cars and trucks. I can tell you that it isnt worth not haveing the cheap asss part to be safe.

Rock

·
Registered
611 Posts
rear springs should be about 10-15 minutes. fronts was about 2 hours for me. hehe....

edit: i'm not mechanically inclined. but following the thread. and some BASIC knowledge in tools and you should do fine. just go slow! it should help just incase you miss a bolt somewhere here or there. or forget to tighten one good.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Took me about an hour to do the whole thing at home, using a floor jack, jack stands and I happen to have air tools. One the bolts on the caber plate was stripped from the factory so that ate up most of my time, so I ahd to disassemble the strut by leaving the camber plate in.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Rockcrawler69 said:
OK, that doesnt mean it is safe.I am not looking to have an arguement. It will only take one time for you to understand. I have lowered and rasied hundreds of cars and trucks. I can tell you that it isnt worth not haveing the cheap asss part to be safe.

Rock
yup ^^^^^^^^^^^ what he said

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.