Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend got an RS 3.0 xB in November (the envy green one). She also purchased the Valor (I think that's it?) exhaust tip. Due to weirdness that doesn't matter, the two things did not arrive at the same time. The exhaust tip came this past weekend.

I thought it would be, unclamp old tip, put on new tip, clamp new tip on, go drive.

It doesn't seem to be that. I can't figure out how to get the stock xB tip (which is really really really tight against the exhaust pipe and has no clamp) off, to get the new one on. I thought maybe it just slid in, but when I do that, it sticks out about four inches past the rear bumper. That can't be right, can it? Plus, there's no place to clamp it that way.

As for instructions, either there were none in the box, or they got lost in the last four days. Can anyone give me a quick step-by-step as to what needs to be done to get this onto her car?

Thanks.

-Eric

·
Registered
974 Posts
I imagine the stock tip needs to be cut off. It's probably crimped on there and thats whay you don't see a muffler clamp.

If you have a cutting wheel or know someone that does, cut the stock tip lengthwise where it is crimped to the tailpipe, but be carefull not to cut all the way through the tailpipe. Once you do that in a couple spots you should be able to remove it.

I just realized something......

If she bought the xB brand new and bought that tip at the dealer it doesn't matter if they arrived seperate, the dealer should install it for you for free. It's called customer service, you bought a car from them and they should sell it to you the way you ordered it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I imagine the stock tip needs to be cut off. It's probably crimped on there and thats whay you don't see a muffler clamp.

[snip]

If she bought the xB brand new and bought that tip at the dealer it doesn't matter if they arrived seperate, the dealer should install it for you for free. It's called customer service, you bought a car from them and they should sell it to you the way you ordered it.
The problem is that part of the weirdness was that the tip was not purchased at the same time as the car. So it wasn't ordered that way. In fact, the car wasn't ordered at all - it was apparently the last automatic transmission RS 3.0 xB in the country, and it was dealer traded from a dealer 600 miles away.

I don't have a cutter, and was hoping that there would be some place to get an install document on how to put this thing on. The dealer is going to charge $40 labor to do it, which we might end up doing it just to save the hassle, but it seems like it should be SO SIMPLE! :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
just pry it off with a screwdriver. look at the spots where the tip looks crimped on, stick the screwdriver in between and go to work. it took me a good 10-15min but that cuz I kept on getting pissed off that the tip wasnt easier to pry off.

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
just pry it off with a screwdriver. look at the spots where the tip looks crimped on, stick the screwdriver in between and go to work. it took me a good 10-15min but that cuz I kept on getting pissed off that the tip wasnt easier to pry off.
Yep, that's the same way I did it on both of our boxes, except for the P/O part!! :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Once its pried off, is there a certain size tip that you must get to replace it? I have seen a few that look almost universal in how they attach, but I wasn't sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.