Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if anyone had a diy guide or pictures of how to access and remove the front and rear speakers in a '06 xb??? i looked at the how to remove the cd player pictures and put in my new dvd nav in like 30 minnutes so if anyone has some info that would be amazing

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
I don't have a diy, but i think one has been written up.

The dash speakers have grilles that pop-off. 2 screws per speaker

the front door speakers are riveted in. you WILL need to drill them out and find screws that fit the speaker housing.

I haven't done the rears, but I believe they're just screwed in. Have fun pulling your car apart, it'll be an all day adventure!

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Yup, you gotta remove the door panels for the front door speakers, and the rear panels to get out the back ones. I've seen adaptors for the rear speakers. I used MDF rings on my front door speakers.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I bypassed my rear speakers this past weekend in favor of 6x9's in the rear hatch, which kick ass by the way. I wish I had a camera to do a DIY but alas...I have none.
But it's real simple. Pull out the cargo storage and spare storage containers. The hatch sill has 2 buttons facing forward towards the bottom, gentlely pry those out and lift the hatch sill straight up. It's held in place by 4 plastic panel clips. Next, remove the 8mm allen bolts on the side panels (4). Grasp the side panel where the seat belt comes through and pull across the top. Don't yank to hard, but this will gain you access to the speakers without having to pull the rear seat.
Anyone jump in here if I forgot anything.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
whats an mdf ring? thats the second tim ei read that and still no idea? i am putting a bunch of stuff in and all the stuff i thought would be hard is easy and the easy stuff like speakers seems hard? i just need a little help to see what people are talking about

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Whew! Ok, for starters, go here.

www.the12volt.com

READ up on their forums, and DIY's.

FYI: MDF = Medium Densifty Fiberboard. It's a type of lumber you can purchase at a hardware store that is excellent for box building because of it's ability to not flex. This stuff is no joke, heavy duty material and has a thousand uses.

An 'MDF ring' is just a trim piece cut from the MDF that people use as a bracket to hold their speakers in place. I used 1/2" on my Accord's rear stage to hold some speakers in place. I will probably do the same when I get around to swapping out the OEM Scion speakers.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya sorry i'm not so good with the 9 million abbreviations people through around on here but i can figure how that makes sense just cut out a ring to allow you to mount the new size. I have always replaced oem speakers in my cars and rarely if ever had a problem short of haveing to use self tapping screws. I'm more worried about how to get the paneling off without breaking clips or anything than i am about what to do once its off.

thanks everyone for all the feedback so far
sorry i just got the car so i'm a little new at this

·
Scion 100,000 mile club
3,481 Posts
ok so i know i have to drill out the front speakers but do i need to use a special drill bit or just a reg one

·
Regular abUser
2,945 Posts
I just drilled holes for the speakers in the door and rear panels on mine and it worked great.

·
Retired bB Enthusiast
729 Posts
ok so i know i have to drill out the front speakers but do i need to use a special drill bit or just a reg one
The rivets are a little smaller than 1/8" Use a 1/8" drill bit and drill right down the center of the rivet. This will make it easier to find screws that fit the holes too. I know that Elemental Designs makes front door speaker baffles if you are looking to mount new speakers in the stock location. http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/product_info.php?cPath=1_78_79&products_id=77

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yep just what they said you can use a normal drill bit just be careful and not go to fast. I did mine yesterday but no pics sorry. I don't remember what size bit I used but it was a lil bigger than the hole in the center of the rivet. I went to fast on a couple and the whole rivet started to spin so I had to use a flat tip screw diver to hold it. after doing that I used a flat tip screw driver and hammer to knock off the front peice of the rivet. They should come right out if not just use the hammer and screw driver to knock out of the door. make sure you get all the peices from the door if not you will get a lot of rattling from the peices left in the door. Hooked up my led locks and then I took a speaker to ACE hardware to find screws. hope this helped a lil bit

·
RS4.0 #1526
193 Posts
I did my fronts this evening but alas didn't take any pics, sorry. I had the spinning problem so I grabbed a pair of vice grip pliers and got a solid grip on the edge of the pop rivet things went nice and smooth after that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.