Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
or you can bake them at lik 250 for 10 mins and take off the lens pop out the reflector put bake in oven at 250 for another 10 mins and put the lens back on...that easy...

·
Registered
281 Posts
or you can take a rag a flat head and a hammer if you are carfull its all good if not then forget it i messed mine up but when i did it the next 3 times it was perfect!!!

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
Okay, this recently came to my attention: Are cleared corners still DOT compliant? What are the cons? (From the state's perspective.) I really want to clear mine, but don't want the hassle.

Squirrel???????........

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
boxd_up said:
Yeah, we're planning on clearing ours too, but NOT if it's gonna get us in trouble!
I've also heard you won't pass the visual for your smog check if the amber lens is missing...........

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Thanks for the info!

It must be white or yellow to the front, red or yellow to the rear (24953 VC).

I hadn't planned on changing the yellow turns on the rear because I prefer those anyway. I'll probably double check this info again before we do any mods to the lights. I hope it's true!

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
So technically, we should be able to clear the corners, run the Silverstar blinkers and be legal, no?

I'd still like to know about the smog visual thing......... :confused:

·
Who am I to say this?
2,110 Posts
It seems it should be fine as long as you are running yellow bulbs. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not staring at the front of mine right now, but aren't the fronts already cleared, and the sides have the yellow lens?

·
NEXT LEVEL MOTORING
3,810 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
boxd_up_2 said:
It seems it should be fine as long as you are running yellow bulbs. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not staring at the front of mine right now, but aren't the fronts already cleared, and the sides have the yellow lens?
Yes. I haven't taken mine out, but it looks like the bulb is amber as well.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
where the hell you hear they check side marker when smog check
what have u been smoking

i taking smog classese right now and smog check does nothing with the body of the car nor does it involve head light taillight ....the only light u dont want on is ur check engine light

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
scionbox123 said:
where the hell you hear they check side marker when smog check
what have u been smoking

i taking smog classese right now and smog check does nothing with the body of the car nor does it involve head light taillight ....the only light u dont want on is ur check engine light
Well, it doesn't matter where I heard it, I just did. It seemed like a valid issue, but unconfirmed. But I suppose you've answered my question.......

Oh, and all the best in your smog class.

Now, do you know whether it would still be considered DOT compliant with the amber lens removed?

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
squirrel said:
clearing the headlights takes them out of being complaint w/ the DOT. when you clear the front headlights, you are essentially removing the reflector in the housing.
I knew something was posted before about the amber lens and DOT. Why are all the cool mods illegal? :(

Is there any way to get around this? Or am I stuck with amber?

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
OK, this is from the California Vehicle Code as found on the state web site:
(BOLD AND ITALICS NOT IN ORIGINAL CODE)
This is only for California

Color of Lamps and Reflectors

25950. This section applies to the color of lamps and to any reflector exhibiting or reflecting perceptible light of 0.05 candela or more per foot-candle of incident illumination. Unless provided otherwise, the color of lamps and reflectors upon a vehicle shall be as follows:

(a) The emitted light from all lamps and the reflected light from all reflectors, visible from in front of a vehicle, shall be white or yellow, except as follows:

(1) Rear side marker lamps required by Section 25100 may show red to the front.

(2) The color of foglamps described in Section 24403 may be in the color spectrum from white to yellow.

(3) An illuminating device, as permitted under Section 24255, shall emit radiation predominantly in the infrared region of the electromagnetic spectrum. Any incidental visible light projecting to the front of the vehicle shall be predominantly yellow to white. Any incidental visible light projecting to the rear of the vehicle shall be predominantly red. Any incidental visible light from an illuminating device, as permitted under Section 24255, shall not resemble any other required or permitted lighting device or official traffic control device.

(b) The emitted light from all lamps and the reflected light from all reflectors, visible from the rear of a vehicle, shall be red except as follows:

(1) Stoplamps on vehicles manufactured before January 1, 1979, may show yellow to the rear.

(2) Turn signal lamps may show yellow to the rear.

(3) Front side marker lamps required by Section 25100 may show yellow to the rear.

(4) Backup lamps shall show white to the rear.

(5) The rearward facing portion of a front-mounted double-faced turn signal lamp may show amber to the rear while the headlamps or parking lamps are lighted, if the intensity of the light emitted is not greater than the parking lamps and the turn signal function is not impaired.

(6) A reflector meeting the requirements of and installed in accordance with Section 24611 shall be red or white, or both.

(c) All lamps and reflectors visible from the front, sides, or rear of a vehicle, except headlamps, may have any unlighted color, provided the emitted light from all lamps or reflected light from all reflectors complies with the required color. Except for backup lamps, the entire effective projected luminous area of lamps visible from the rear or mounted on the sides near the rear of a vehicle shall be covered by an inner lens of the required color when the unlighted color differs from the required emitted light color. Taillamps, stoplamps, and turn signal lamps that are visible to the rear may be white when unlighted on vehicles manufactured before January 1, 1974.
Amended Sec. 38, Ch. 766, Stats. 1995. Effective January 1, 1996.
Amended Sec. 4, Ch. 198, Stats. 2004. Effective January 1, 2005.

From what I can tell, as long as the front bulbs show amber when they flash, we are OK with clear corners. The stipulation about colored reflectors is dealing with rear/side lights on a vehicle.

·
Registered
762 Posts
legal rigamaroo makes my head hurt :(

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
surfcitylocal said:
OK, this is from the California Vehicle Code as found on the state web site:
(BOLD AND ITALICS NOT IN ORIGINAL CODE)
This is only for California

Color of Lamps and Reflectors

25950. This section applies to the color of lamps and to any reflector exhibiting or reflecting perceptible light of 0.05 candela or more per foot-candle of incident illumination. Unless provided otherwise, the color of lamps and reflectors upon a vehicle shall be as follows:

(a) The emitted light from all lamps and the reflected light from all reflectors, visible from in front of a vehicle, shall be white or yellow, except as follows:

(1) Rear side marker lamps required by Section 25100 may show red to the front.

(2) The color of foglamps described in Section 24403 may be in the color spectrum from white to yellow.

(3) An illuminating device, as permitted under Section 24255, shall emit radiation predominantly in the infrared region of the electromagnetic spectrum. Any incidental visible light projecting to the front of the vehicle shall be predominantly yellow to white. Any incidental visible light projecting to the rear of the vehicle shall be predominantly red. Any incidental visible light from an illuminating device, as permitted under Section 24255, shall not resemble any other required or permitted lighting device or official traffic control device.

(b) The emitted light from all lamps and the reflected light from all reflectors, visible from the rear of a vehicle, shall be red except as follows:

(1) Stoplamps on vehicles manufactured before January 1, 1979, may show yellow to the rear.

(2) Turn signal lamps may show yellow to the rear.

(3) Front side marker lamps required by Section 25100 may show yellow to the rear.

(4) Backup lamps shall show white to the rear.

(5) The rearward facing portion of a front-mounted double-faced turn signal lamp may show amber to the rear while the headlamps or parking lamps are lighted, if the intensity of the light emitted is not greater than the parking lamps and the turn signal function is not impaired.

(6) A reflector meeting the requirements of and installed in accordance with Section 24611 shall be red or white, or both.

(c) All lamps and reflectors visible from the front, sides, or rear of a vehicle, except headlamps, may have any unlighted color, provided the emitted light from all lamps or reflected light from all reflectors complies with the required color. Except for backup lamps, the entire effective projected luminous area of lamps visible from the rear or mounted on the sides near the rear of a vehicle shall be covered by an inner lens of the required color when the unlighted color differs from the required emitted light color. Taillamps, stoplamps, and turn signal lamps that are visible to the rear may be white when unlighted on vehicles manufactured before January 1, 1974.
Amended Sec. 38, Ch. 766, Stats. 1995. Effective January 1, 1996.
Amended Sec. 4, Ch. 198, Stats. 2004. Effective January 1, 2005.

From what I can tell, as long as the front bulbs show amber when they flash, we are OK with clear corners. The stipulation about colored reflectors is dealing with rear/side lights on a vehicle.
Okay, now I'm cool with it! This was all I needed to see. Thank you!

Clear corners, here I come!!! :D

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Notice in the legal garbage, some things say SHALL and some say MAY. This is true in all legal writtings, watch out for specific words and definitions.

You guys with the BLUE led water squirters and blue leds in your headlights watch your a$$

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.