Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so driving home the other day from work. my hood decided to fly up on me while i was driving. luckily i was barely leaving work so i wasnt on the fwy yet. so i took it to the dealership, they checked it out and decided it wasnt a defective part and i have to pay for it through my insurance. im not satisfied with that answer. so were having a regional inspector come down and check it out. so i was just wondering if anybody else has had this problem or herd of anythin like this. basically my hood was hangin on by a wire. thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
226 Posts
on mine you really have to slam the hood for it latch. even if i just have it fully open and just drop it it wont latch so i have to basically put all of my weight on it for it to catch. but im also pretty sure it isnt the original latch so i cant really say if this is a common problem or not.

·
chop top
8,820 Posts
what year xB..i thought there was a spree of newer xbs a little while back with hoods doing this...maybe im wrong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its an 08'. i see about that rubber stopper. i just dont like imma have to pay for the damage. but thank u for the advice.

·
chop top
8,820 Posts
SOUTHEAST TOYOTA IS RECALLING 67 MY 2008-2009 SCION XB VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE SPORTS GRILL OPTION AND ALSO SEVERAL RADIATOR GRILLS SOLD AS PARTS. THESE VEHICLES FAIL TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 113, "HOOD LATCH SYSTEM." IT HAS BEEN DETERMINED THAT SHOULD THE PRIMARY HOOD LATCH BE RELEASED OR FAIL, THE PLASTIC UPPER RADIATOR GRILL GARNISH COULD RELEASE THE SECONDARY LATCH AND CAUSE THE HOOD TO OPEN.

Consequence
DURING VEHICLE OPERATION, THIS COULD OBSTRUCT THE VIEW OF THE DRIVER POSSIBLY CAUSE THE HOOD TO STRIKE THE ROOF OR THE WINDSHIELD INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE SPORTS GRILL INSTALLATION AND INSTALL ADDITIONAL CLIPS TO ENSURE THE RADIATOR GRILL GARNISH IS PROPERLY SECURED. THE RECALL BEGAN ON OCTOBER 6, 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT SOUTHEAST TOYOTA AT 1-800-301-6859.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SOUTHEAST TOYOTA IS RECALLING 67 MY 2008-2009 SCION XB VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE SPORTS GRILL OPTION AND ALSO SEVERAL RADIATOR GRILLS SOLD AS PARTS. THESE VEHICLES FAIL TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 113, "HOOD LATCH SYSTEM." IT HAS BEEN DETERMINED THAT SHOULD THE PRIMARY HOOD LATCH BE RELEASED OR FAIL, THE PLASTIC UPPER RADIATOR GRILL GARNISH COULD RELEASE THE SECONDARY LATCH AND CAUSE THE HOOD TO OPEN.

Consequence
DURING VEHICLE OPERATION, THIS COULD OBSTRUCT THE VIEW OF THE DRIVER POSSIBLY CAUSE THE HOOD TO STRIKE THE ROOF OR THE WINDSHIELD INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE SPORTS GRILL INSTALLATION AND INSTALL ADDITIONAL CLIPS TO ENSURE THE RADIATOR GRILL GARNISH IS PROPERLY SECURED. THE RECALL BEGAN ON OCTOBER 6, 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT SOUTHEAST TOYOTA AT 1-800-301-6859.
thank you very much. i appreciate it very much!!!

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Have had a few butt pucker moments lately with hood popping up on the interstate, never on local roads with 55 mph speed. Has done it with and without the plastic panel above the grill. Am thinking the dogs that engage each other to latch, have worn enough to vibrate and unlatch at speed. Will call dealership about new latch in the morning.

Reactions: dubeexb06

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Just ordered latch, $54 at dealership

1 - 13 of 13 Posts