Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I am just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what i can do about it... i got look and could not find anything in the forums, but the more i drive my xB around at night the more i notice when my headlights are on dim people flash there headlights thinking they are on bright..... i know they feel stupid after i flash my brights, but after i had 37 peopel last night flash there lights on the way back from are local theme park (its an hour away from my house) i got really angry. How do i fix this or can i ?????

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
You can't do anything, unless they are aimed to high.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Just be glad they can see you. And thereby reduce the chance of them crashing into your box. I got it a couple times last night too.

·
Registered
201 Posts
maybe they are trying to start a race like on tokyo extreme racer: Zero lol

one its better to be seen than not to be seen. and 2 get a airhorn and a few hidden lights under your grills like the undercover cops and shine all hyperwhite 1000k brights under and out of the hood and honk a 139dB horn at them and show them who is boss.

·
Registered
29 Posts
sorry, you have had responses that not give you the answer you are looking for.

yes, I had the same problem for the months after getting my xB, especially more so after installing aftermarket headlight bulbs.

you will need a wrench, I believe it was either a 8mm or 10m wrench that is on the top/backside of the headlight which you will need to adjust .

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The full instructions are in the repair manual, but you need to correctly aim your headlights.

Here is the 'short form' version: Find a flat and level place where you can park 25 feet away from a blank wall. Measure the height from the ground to the middle of the headlights. Turn the headlights on low beam, and the sharp cutoff line on the wall should be one inch lower than the midpoint of your headlights.

If you need more detailed instructions ask,and I'll post up the two pages of instructions from the manual.

(Bet you have subs in the rear, 'eh? Even that small a change in load at the very rear of the box can aim your lights too high and severely bother other drivers. I've NEVER been flashed - mine are adjusted correctly.)

Any answer that says it's normal to be flashed is, uh, BS.

Tom

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks for the info, I am having this problem as well, noticed that anytime I have four persons in the car, my light are shinning higher, and I am getting the high beam flash.
I guess I could lower the beam, but then when I am alone they will shine too low....
I think I need stiffer rear springs ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I want to change my low beams for the whites one but I'm not sure about it since I don't want ppl to flash me with their high beams. Plus I have a question... Do the police can stop you for changing ur regular lights?????

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the info, so do you think new springs could fix my problem i do have a sub but it is only a ten. although usally my freind rides back there and he weighs about 350 so that might have something to do with it....... wait maybe that is y my gas mileage is way done!!!!

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
when my xb was stock i got flashed the most. now with an insane drop and hids i never get flased. the stock springs are very stiff and thus the car bounces.

get some nice lowering springs and good shocks. you will benefit in more than one way.

alltho it is possible for the headlights to be maladjusted stock but pretty unlikely.

i was taught that to check the beam height to park 20 feet away from a wall on a flat even surface. measure from the ground to the center dot in your headlight. take that measurement and then measure frm the ground to the center of the beam pattern on the wall. it should be the same.

this is all what i've learned. take care all

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
OK.

Nobody believes my 'quick and dirty headlight check' above, eh?

Here's the 'werd'...

Tom

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
not that they don't believe tom. it can be more than one thing.

i learned 20 foot and the same height versus 25 and inch lower. wonder if they equal out to be the same?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
You'll note the Scion manual calls for about 1/2 inch down at about ten feet... :)

Here's a pic sample from my box...

I get very good lighting of the road, roadside, and signs, and I don't get flashed by others.

Bottom of the tape is at middle of the headlight...

·
Registered
67 Posts
My headlights were aimed terribly high when I bought the xB. Unfortunately, I had a road trip the day after buying the car and didn't get a chance to aim them properly. They were so bad I had people in the same directional lanes flashing me after I passed. I could see the beam cutoff on overhead exit signs.

After I returned I aimed them as posted above and no more problems. I could also tell that more of the light was focused properly on the road after being aimed. I used the 20ft away, 1" beam drop approach and it worked out well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.