Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I had to switch jobs and will now be driving a great deal more at night, to and from, and was thinking of upgrading my lighting above just simple bulb changes currently running GE Nighthawks in my projectors.

My question is this, for those of you who have installed HID's into projectors like mine or similar style, what brand's have you used and are they plug and play or harder to install and are thier any problems with the aiming?

I was thinking of the McCulloch HID Kits even though they're on the expensive side they are made in Germany instead of who know's where?

These are the projectors I have:

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Be VERY VERY careful about putting HID's into those headlights.....unless they are specifically made for HID's.

The Sonar Black housing Projectors that we just picked up have a gigantic warning on the side that says NOT for use with HID's......they will frikkin melt. They are meant for Halogen use only.

Not saying that your specific projectors won't work...but I know the Sonars are made for halogen only, and those in the pic I belive are the same way.

Josh

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Darn, Darn, Darn, I saw the sticker but I thought that HID's ran at a lower temp than stock Halogens? The highbeams are completely useless with the projectors adjusted properly and my other projectors in the grill are fogs so they don't cover the distance I need.

Darn thanks for the advice though, still curious if anyone has run the risk with these and the results that occured?

·
Registered
691 Posts
My projectors had the same warning, but I've been running HID's in them for months, on road trips and everything, with no problems.

I got my HID's from www.oznium.com and I love them, great product, great customer service and great shipping.

·
Registered
229 Posts
so i was thinking about getting the halo projector lights. I am now curious on the correct or best way to run lights now. melting and over heating is not cool at all. so this thread will be very helpful to me also. The halo lights above are similiar to the one that I was looking into. So yeah please let us know. New to the scion world and I am learning fast 2 months now. thanks

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After looking at the backside of the housing, and pulling the rubber surrounds away from the rear of the projectors, the projectors look like their metal like anyother projector setup.

FrankenScion did you notice if there was a difference in the temperature between the regular halogen bulbs and your HID's. Reason I ask of course is if the HID's do run cooler or around the same temp range as the halogens then what would cause a melting issue of the housing?:confused:

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have no idea what melting issues they are talking about. I haven't noticed them running any hotter and I have driven hours at night on roadtrips.

I've never heard of anybody melting any either.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll be the guinea:confused: pig this time, have to wait a week or so till next payday and then I'm going to go with your advice FrankenScion and order a set from Oznium either the 4000 series or the 6000 series can't decide yet.

FrankenScion do you have any pictures of how yours look when on at dark and the light pattern?

Thanks for the advice and I'll post pics when they're installed, I'll either have a great looking set of lights or a melted mess of plastic and wires:eek:

Later WVxB

·
Registered
296 Posts
I think one of the issues on the "NO HID" tag is the wiring that is being used to split up the stock H4 connector to the new dual beams might not be able to handle an increased load as HID ballasts take more AMPs on start up they might be worried about stressing their wiring...a relay harness will get you around that.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
365Motorwerks,

Do you make a harness that would work with the Oznium kit, using 9006 bulbs, because I already ordered it a couple days ago? If so what would be the cost shipped to 26501, Thanks!!

FrankenScion,

Look what I found in one of your older post on SL, hope you don't mind me posting it, I think alot of other xB's with projectors might like to see this. They look awesome, I can't wait till my kit gets here sometime next week.

Later everybody and thanks for the help!!

Attachments

·
Registered
691 Posts
What exactly is the purpose of the harness?

I bought my HID's from oznium.com and I've been running them for months without a "harness" and they have been find.

But to each their own.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The harness take the whole current load off the factory wiring and supplies power from the battery via larger gauge wiring directly to the ballasts, HIDs take more amps to startup the ballasts initialy than a stock halogen bulb sometimes this can cause wiring issues with a harness there is no worrys..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.