Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only had my Scion since August and was wondering if anyone else was having this problem....

Sometimes when I'm stopped (at a light waiting to make a left or at a 4way stop) the car hesitates before it begins to accelerate. At first I thought it was me (high heels or something?! lol) then I thought maybe it was only when the engine was still 'cool' and that little blue light is shown.

Help? Am I overreacting or should I take it in to get repaired? I'm also due for an oil change, do you think that has anything to do with it?! (Sorry I don't know much about cars and this is my first Scion)

Thanks!:eek:

·
Ain't too Funk to Druck.
17,243 Posts
it does that when you see the blue light and i drive an auto. your not the only one, i would know coz i wear high heels too. hahaha j/k. your engine needs to warm up a wee bit. there's a thread about that around here somewhere.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
If thate is not the problem, the people over at Toyota/Scion gave the boxes a granny pedal - Since the throttle is cabled, there's a bit of extra slack in it.....Don't worry, you can tighten up the cable which gives insta-acceleration. It was truly the first mod I did, and I was quite pleased. My car kept half-stalling on those dang blasted 75 degree inclines.......

·
Registered
309 Posts
yeah that happens to me all the damn time when i mash the peddle and it takes a good 2 seconds for the power to come and it kinda comes all at once so the car jerks like a mofo. so what should i tell the dealer to do to the car so they dont give me the side head tilt and stare?

·
Registered
354 Posts
BoomBox said:
If thate is not the problem, the people over at Toyota/Scion gave the boxes a granny pedal - Since the throttle is cabled, there's a bit of extra slack in it.....Don't worry, you can tighten up the cable which gives insta-acceleration. It was truly the first mod I did, and I was quite pleased. My car kept half-stalling on those dang blasted 75 degree inclines.......
thats exactly what i was going to say have the throttle cable tightened.. it used to do it to mine until i tightened the cable and i have a manual. tighten it so that there is no slack but before the throttle is open. that way as soon as you touch the accelerator it opens and you are off.

and there will be less play in the accelerator pedal after you do this.. best of all its free mod...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much guys... and I thought I had a lemon...hehehe... but I see that it is a common problem. I will definitely tighten up the throttle cable or just live with it, but I just wanted to make sure that it was normal. I had a 2000 Accord V6 before my box and I had to change the alternator on it 3 times... so, I don't want to have similar problems with my new baby toaster. Thanks again for the info! :)

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
No problem, just make sure that you don't have the throttle partially open....BAD things can happen.

·
Registered
71 Posts
can you tighten the cable for autos?

·
Registered
869 Posts
there is a little bit of a lag on the aceleration. what i would do is turn the traction control off and see if that helps. how many miles do you have on your xb? it may be due for new sparkplugs. i changed mine out at 35k with bosch platnum 2 plugs. if its only hesitating when you first acelerate and not when you go up hills or when you accelerate while you are rolling it might just be you. lol if you have a manual, get the rpm up just a little higher when you start going from a light. give that a shot it should work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine is an 06, auto, 2800 miles. It is very sluggish at all temps (fresh out of the garage or 20 minutes down the road). It's not a hesitation as far as cable slack is concerned. It's almost like it's not "on the pipe". So far it's mostly apparent when the AC is on.
Anyone wanna trade for a 5-speed? :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
i have an 06 auto and i had the dealer take care of the cable slack it was really loose i could pull it off the pulley without too much trouble. its pretty tight now only a little slack, throttle response is much better but it didn't fix the hesitation. I think its just normal with autos, sometimes when i'm cruising then roll on the gas slowly i dont feel that hard of a push, then almost like a turbo kicking into boost it revs like a mad dog and picks up speed.

is that what everyone else is experiencing or is it hesitation from a dead start?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.